Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Half moon bay trip

We want to go from Sacramento to Half Moon Bay. Can anyone suggest a good route? Are all of the bay area bridges rv friendly, i.e., can I make it through toll booths? We're newbies, so thanks for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

While not the shortest route. The easist route for a motorhome would be to take 80 west out of Sac. To 680 south. To 580 west. To the 238 flyover to 880 south. Then on to 92 west which ends in Half moon bay. As far as the bridges go. Just stay in the truck lanes at the toll booths and you will be fine.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #3

Am very familiar with the area....just travelled it again today. The route gonzo136 laid out is pretty straight forward.

If you go the gonzo route, be VERY careful at the 680 exit from 80....it comes up in a big hurry just past the truck scales, and everyone is jamming those 2 right lanes. Plan ahead. Also, be VERY careful ANYWHERE on 880 (Nimitz Freeway). The locals don't call it "Blood Alley" for nothing. And, again, be careful when approaching the 92 exit for the San Mateo Bridge leg of your route. It also comes up in a hurry on this usually very-crowded freeway, and everyone jockeys for those 2 right lanes. Good luck, and have a wonderful trip!

If you go the
Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #4

Gonzo & Heap big, thank you very much for the help. This will be our second trip, so am looking forward to it. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

I think it depends on what time you'll be driving through the bay area as to what route is best. I would also consider 5 - 580 - 238 - 880 - 92. Less time spent in the traffic areas.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
We do the trip regularly but are retired so can travel off peak.

We use us80/101/280 to hwy 92 to HMB. It takes about 3 hrs.

We also use the Fastrac toll lanes not the truck lanes. Just go slow through the gate.

If towing like us, you may pay a $20 toll rather than the $10 toll for two 2 axle rigs.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

If this is your first time, I would hesitate before crossing the Bay Bridge. I don't like crossing in my car. I just went into SF via the Bay Bridge last Monday, got to the toll plaza at 6:15am and there was already traffic. About 4 people cut in front of me and I think your experience would be worse while driving a rig or pulling a trailer. Also, there are left and right exits off of 80 once you're off the bridge and I find that stretch of the highway to the 101 interchange to be a little "hairy." Once you're through that area it'll be smooth sailing, but the thought of driving 80, much less through SF is not appealing to me. JMHO
Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #8

I have posted re this subject before and have read the responses with interest. As a former 20-year Bay Area resident and a manufacturer's field rep who has travelled all of the area extensively, I have reconsidered my recommendation. First, I would caution you on taking your rig anywhere near the Bay Bridge or 101 if possible. The traffic there can be severaly harmful to your hairline or to your pacemaker, anytime, day or night.

I will be leaving Northern Nevada for Pleasanton, CA, in August, pulling an enclosed car trailer behind the coach. Once I get down to Sacramento, I have decided to take I-5 south out of Sacto down to 205/580, going West to Pleasanton. You could easily take this same route on your way to HMBay, as mentioned previously by Imsteck.

Now, I know that this way is a bit further time-wise and in distance. But the difference in traffic volume is significant (except West on 580 in the early a.m due to the commute....p.m commute traffic here is going East.). The only thing along that route to consider is climbing/descending the Altamont Pass. If your rig is properly equipped and not overloaded, that won't be a problem. RV's climb it all the time.

Just my 4 cents worth. Again, have a safe trip.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Have fun! We were there over Thanksgiving break, at Pillar Point RV park. Lovely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PillarPoint2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	29873  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

How was your trip?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #11

I'd love to get back to Half Moon Bay. We live in Kansas, but Half Moon is where I proposed to my wife. That area will always hold a special place in our hearts. Maybe some day we'll haul our rig there for an anniversary.
Jhawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
WOW - STUNNED by the drive from HMB all the way down to Pebble Beach and paid the $9.00 to just drive thru PB just so I could say I was there....

BUT, we weren't in an rv, just the toad and amazed there are not more people driving off the cliffs there it was so GEE-OR-GEOUS !!!

Have fun !