Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Hard times RVing. Testing the waters!

Haven't been on this site for quite some time. We sold our fifth wheel after nearly 40 years of camping. Started out like many of you in tents and graduated up the line.

We own a section of land in central Texas. I've considered turning part of it into a membership type RV community for folks to "bug out" on when times get tough. Improvments for central gathering, community garden, community water. Bath houses, laundry facilities Etc.

Just curious if there is any interest in such a place. Let's talk about it. There might already be lots of places out there already. I just don't know.

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts!!!

carl1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
I would think it would be pretty expensive to get started on something like that. There's the insurance and utilities..... and on and on....

Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
I assume you realize that the price to do such a thing is a million up!

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There may be people out there who will pay for membership only, but personally I would not. I don't want to pay thousands of dollars plus a quarterly maintence fee. We have a friend who sold their RV and they can't give away their membership. They are still having to pay maintence fees for something they never use.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Yes, it would be a pricey venture. I've just been trying to figure something out to do with a piece of land that does not produce much income. We have loved RVing, and just thougth something like this might work.
carl1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
QUOTE:Yes, it would be a pricey venture. I've just been trying to figure something out to do with a piece of land that does not produce much income. We have loved RVing, and just thougth something like this might work.

Must have a bunch of money laying around you don't want to have to pay taxs on? most investors of a million plus venture would be interested in the return rate. good luck
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Central Texas is a big place, but some people with land (you say you have a section which is a square mile) have used it for hunting. Set up some basic infrastructure for the hunters and maybe make some income that way. What part of central Texas are we talking about? And do you have deer, dove, a water tank, fish, turkey, or other meat running around?

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote