Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #15
RV LIFE Support Team

You can see the proximity of where hosts are on the host map which is available to all. You cannot see specifics thoughl.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #16

I wish I new about this sooner.We just returned from visiting several wineries in Watkins Glen,and Niagara NY.Maybe next time thanks for the info.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
We joined Harvest Host last year. Have enjoyed staying at wineries. Beats Walmart hands down. You do have to watch out how much wine you buy, though. [emoji16]
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #18

HH is awesome! Have stayed many types of interesting places. I agree with most comments. Have used gen with permission of course. Have even found one with 50A power! Have also been invited to stay an extra night, which we did. I won't hesitate to renew. If you join, be sure to read and follow the guidelines. SAFE TRAVELS TANDD
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
we have used them for about four years. We have stayed at vineyards, museums, alpaca farms, dairy farms, flea market parking lots, parking lot of a small zoo and other odd but interesting places.

One place offered me water and sewer hook ups, all others have been dry camping.

Someone asked about generator usage. I have never thought of using mine whille staying at a harvest host location but looking back at all the places we have stayed (maybe 15 places) i think about half would have let me run a gennie if i asked. Best to just assume you can not. If you need that much power to be comfortable a full hook upcamground is prolly gonna be a better option.

Never felt pressured to make any purchases at any of the locations. We often will make a small purchase like a bottle of wine or some farm fresh eggs or local honey or.... my fav.... ice cream at the dairy farm in michigain.

The places can vary a lot. Some places basicly ignored us others places the owner has come over and had a cocktail with us and gave us a tour of the property.

We find it well worth the 40 or so dollars we pay yearly for it.
Just curious...what would one purchase at an alpaca farm?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #20
RV LIFE Support Team

The Alpaca Farm we stayeed at had a small store that sold wool and some finished goods. The wool feels so nice, soft and fluffy.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #21

The Alpaca Farm that we stayed at also had wool and other related items. We ended up donating money to a local school charity event that the host was involved with.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #22

Seems really great! But when I look at all the pictures, every RV looks new. What about the 10 year old rule??
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #23
RV LIFE Support Team

I never saw anything on Haravest Hosts about that. It is not a "rule", a few cgs don't want older RVs in the cgs. In my experience it is very, very few and the solution to that is to tellthem a different year. No one has ever checked registration.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #24

There is a map that shows you "roughly" where there are hosts, but I've heard many discuss that sometimes they are not actually on your route and whilst many nice locations, sometimes the detour to reach them and the costs associated with buying goods to reciprocate make it a questionable regarding value to the RVer.

Just saying, depends on the type of person you are whether it would work for you or not. Something else you might want to consider that's appealed to us immensely is "boondockers welcome", which has a locator map you can click on right down to description of where and what the RV parking being offered is - not the address as a non-member but a lot of detail nonetheless.

I'm actually surprised from many years of being a member, that none of the top RVing forums haven't created a "Welcome To Our Nest/Abode" subsection where many of us like ourselves, being on an acreage with large drive thru around flat island that host RVers we've met/contacted, could post our invites and what we have? For sure we enjoy sharing and learning from other RVers.

Being avid boondockers ourselves, that's something that would appeal to us and we could reciprocate with each other
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #25

We were members for several years, and enjoyed it. We used it mostly in the eastern US, PEI and Newfoundland. Stayed at wineries, and farms. In PEI, we stayed at two for several days each. We got involved in the farm, which turned out to be a real pleasure. Some places are one night only. Others said we could stay as long as we wanted. Only one place had hook ups.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #26

Here's a write-up of full-timers in a 40' motorhome and their two stays at Harvest Host. The first one is in the following link. In the 5th paragraph they refer to another stay in Paso Robles, CA where you can click on it to read all about it.

https://wheelingit.us/2016/04/16/hop...to-hopland-ca/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We thought it was a neat idea and had a membership for one year but never used it even one night.

As full timers we very very rarely stay in a place for only one night, and when we did there wasn’t a HH location that worked for us. Luck of the draw I suppose, but we did not continue the membership.

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #28

Is it the kind of thing that you could get there early/mid day, drop off the rv and then go tour the area (or the inverse and stay later the next day to tour and leave mid-day) or it is more like a Wal-Mart overnight stop situation?