Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

Harvest Hosts

I recently saw a FB posts advertising a group called Harvest Hosts. It is basically a group of 600 wineries and farms etc that allow free overnight camping to members. It cost $49 to join and they request that you support your host by making a purchase from them.
I would appreciate comments from anyone that is a member and have used the service.
Thanks
LandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

I was thinking about joining but I'm on the fence. It would be really neat to see other farmers operations.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a member and have stayed at an orchard, wineries and museums. The orchard was off season so very quite, the wineries we generally buy a bottle or two of wine and of course when we pick a museum site we are interested in seeing the museum. All are dry camping/boondocking. The yearly membership fee is a wash after the first night stay. Check their web site for the code of conduct for more info to see if its a good fit for your type of RVing.

https://harvesthosts.com/code-of-conduct/
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #4

Here is a video from the Russos on the subject.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Haven't used them but looks like a great idea. Thanks for the post.

https://harvesthosts.com/
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

We are members and have used them 3 times. 2 restaurants and a museum. All boondocking but very nice locations. We will be using them next week for one overnight.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback regarding the harvest host program. We will probably join in the future
LandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #8

Do they let you use a generator? Quiet one of course.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

Generator? Every place to park will be different. You'd have to ask specifically. Remember.... even though they may be free you might feel like you'd have to buy a bottle of wine!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

I always need a bottle of wine. Lol
Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #11

We've been members since 2011 and have stayed at numerous locations in NM, AZ, CA, and TX. It's a great deal if you are set up for and enjoy dry camping. A bottle of wine or some farm produce is cheaper than a night at an RV park and a lot more interesting, and we've met some interesting folks along the way.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

we have used them for about four years. We have stayed at vineyards, museums, alpaca farms, dairy farms, flea market parking lots, parking lot of a small zoo and other odd but interesting places.

One place offered me water and sewer hook ups, all others have been dry camping.

Someone asked about generator usage. I have never thought of using mine whille staying at a harvest host location but looking back at all the places we have stayed (maybe 15 places) i think about half would have let me run a gennie if i asked. Best to just assume you can not. If you need that much power to be comfortable a full hook upcamground is prolly gonna be a better option.

Never felt pressured to make any purchases at any of the locations. We often will make a small purchase like a bottle of wine or some farm fresh eggs or local honey or.... my fav.... ice cream at the dairy farm in michigain.

The places can vary a lot. Some places basicly ignored us others places the owner has come over and had a cocktail with us and gave us a tour of the property.

We find it well worth the 40 or so dollars we pay yearly for it.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The HH Code of Conduct discusses generators.

Would be nice to see where their many locations are without joining.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #14

I would agree that not knowing locations is somewhat keeping me from joining. It seems like this would be preferable to staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot on our cross country trip, but only if the host sites are along our route and not far from the Interstate. I suppose that is the perk you get when you actually join, but it is also what has kept me from joining as well.