Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Has anyone traveled in Mexico

Was wondering if anyone has traveled in Mexico recently. Years ago I camped in Baja and on the mainland coast it was beautiful. Would be interested in rv trip to Mexico, however with the crime reports That I have herd it keeps me away. Wanted to know if anyone has any recent rving adventures in Mexico. Also wonder about campgrounds, roads etc.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

It's a bunch of BS, I go to Mexico 8 or 10 times a year and have never had a problem. I cross at Nogales, Az and go to Kino Bay. I stay at Kino Bay RV park for weeks at a time. The fishing is really good and the food is killer.
There are alot of Americans there and everyone has a hassle free time!

Cheers,

George
Grmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do a search here there is a current thread running. I believe the title is "3rd Week in Mexico" or words to that effect. They seem to be having the time of their life
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

We have been here for 5 weeks and have boondocked for at least half the camps and the only hassles we get are from senor el tope and his gang which are really out to get us..
Not sure where all the people from the USA are though because they are few and far between in the places we have travelled.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

I spend every winter down there
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Why would you want to go to Mexico when there is so much to do here in the USA plus you at least help our economy.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #7

Its cold & boring in Arizona. The US is fine in summer, but its hard to beat the warm temps & ocean in Mexico in Jan & Feb. Plus I love the Mexican culture and the people. Every time we stop on the side of the road for lunch, people stop & ask if we need help. I have lost count of the number of times people have helped when we are lost.

Besides where in the US can you attend a fireworks display like THIS ONE?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the news in Houston says the border is not safe for Gringos. I know a number of Mexican nationals and they only go back home when they absolutely have to. They say the border is not safe.

I'll keep my dollars on this side of the border.

My company has travel restrictions that rival the middle east destination. Very strict security protocol.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #9

I just completed a consulting job in Mexico. While there I was housed in an apartment with armed security, driven back and forth to work in armored vehicle caravans with guards, and driven to the airport with the same kind of security. Most of the locals I talked with would not venture into the countryside due to safety concerns.

I am sure there are areas that are relatively safe. However, if you go there and find you were mistaken and they are not, what do you do then?
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #10

It depends on where you go. Hundreds of RV'ers travel down the west coast each winter, myself included. In 5 years of 5 months of driving each year around Mexico in my RV, I have never had, nor seen any incident or talked with anyone who has. Stick to Toll highways, don't boondock, do not drive at night, and don't hang in bars with drug dealers and i doubt anyone will have any issues. On the other hand a retired couple in a Class A were murdered in Alberta last year. Last year an RV'er form Canada were murdered in Florida. This year 2 were murdered in their condo. you have to keep things in perspective.

Stay out of Tijuana & Cuidad Juarez, Tamulipas State, and a few other hot spots and you are OK. I don't drive in SE LA or parts of Detroit or New Orleans either.

The media blows things out of proportion. A tourist is murdered in the US, you never hear about it, if it happens in Mexico its plastered everywhere.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Why would you want to go to Mexico when there is so much to do here in the USA plus you at least help our economy.

USA is cold in winter ...places that are warm (Florida Keys) is very pricey & crowded. Mexico has a lot going for it.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #12

Pretty hard to beat full hookup sites on a beach for $20 a night.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #13

We've been living in Mexico on a sailboat since last October, so about 6 months now. We've had a blast. Met great people, seen awesome stuff, and would come back in a heartbeat.

We are on a boat here -- not in an RV -- but I think traveling in an RV would be fine. The only caveat would be that many roads have very big speedbumps on them. Drive carefully, as a lot of the speedbumps aren't marked. The toll roads don't have speedbumps.

Mike and Terri Church have written books about RVing in Mexico and they were in San Miguel de Allende in a truck camper for a month or more in Feb/march this year... They give reviews of the RV parks they stay in on their blog:

Rolling Homes Press
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Paul Beddows;1546833]Its cold & boring in Arizona. /QUOTE]

You're not staying the right places in Arizona if you're bored. There is so much going on around Tucson or Phoenix in the winter you'd have a hard time keeping up.

We like Mexico as well but there are causes for concern. You also never want to have an accident or break down and need repair to a truck or RV in Mexico.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote