Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Headed out for 2 weeks Grand Canyon, Las Vegas area

Getting excited. Trip is planned for Mid April. Going South Side because it's April.
Any great camp sites along the way? Want full hookup if possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

In Las Vegas, look at Oasis RV resort. Nice but a bit pricy. Its the only place we have stayed in Sin City. We now have a FHU site at our daughters house there.

firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

We need to know your planned route so we can possibly recommend RV parks along the way.

Also, any chance of adding more time to your two weeks? There are many stopping opportunities other than the two you mentioned.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

We stayed at Las Vegas Motorcoach resort last year for a few days. One of the best maintained parks we've been at. The lot we had had a full outdoor kitchen and gas fireplace. Really nice ! I think they have 4 swimming pools located throughout the resort.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #5

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We need to know your planned route so we can possibly recommend RV parks along the way.

Also, any chance of adding more time to your two weeks? There are many stopping opportunities other than the two you mentioned.

I-64W to Springfield I-44W to I-40W.
Places we know we are visiting Vegas, Hoover Dam, Lake Meade, Skywalk Peach Springs.

We plan to leave April 13th after 12 noon drive to Bennett Springs 6 HR drive. 376 miles. 1402 miles after that. Our longest trip ever.

We are taking our Toad so we won't mind to park in a great Rv site and drive to destinations. We will have our fur babies.

We are excited.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #6

I hope you don't think going to the Skywalk is seeing the Grand Canyon. It isn't even at the major deep, wide area of the canyon. It's also very expensive. You can't even take a camera on it. It's far west of the national park. Here are some reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_Arizona.html

I'd highly recommend you skip that and instead, go to the actual Grand Canyon National Park. Stay at Trailer Village (full hookups) which is near the Rim. The nearby Rim Trail is dog friendly, unlike most national park trails.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

Here are three excellent blogs on the Grand Canyon:

http://wheelingit.us/?s=grand+canyon
Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
I hope you don't think going to the Skywalk is seeing the Grand Canyon. It isn't even at the major deep, wide area of the canyon. It's also very expensive. You can't even take a camera on it. It's far west of the national park. Here are some reviews:

Skywalk Rip off - Review of Skywalk Grand Canyon, Hualapai Reservation, AZ - TripAdvisor

I'd highly recommend you skip that and instead, go to the actual Grand Canyon National Park. Stay at Trailer Village (full hookups) which is near the Rim. The nearby Rim Trail is dog friendly, unlike most national park trails.

[url=http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm]Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National

Search Results grand canyon – Wheeling It
Looking at Havasu Creek and Antelope Canyon also. I love nature.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

You really need to do more research on these places. Havasu Creek/Falls is not something to do unless carefully planned out. It's tenting only and a hike down to it. It requires reservations and you can't bring the dogs.

Antelope Canyon is by a walking tour (no dogs) so you'll need to reserve. You can't RV there.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
My understanding is that one can helicopter to Havasu Creek?
That's what was stated online. Yes I'm calling them. Since I don't want to hike to the area.
Wonder if anyone has used the helicopter service?

Trailer Village was on my list and I was thankful to hear that some had good review of campgrounds.

My dogs stay in my RV without a problem while we are at places dogs are not allowed.
Of course we don't leave them overnite by themselves.

It did state that dogs are allowed while on Navajo Parks and Recreation areas. Yes, I am aware I have to apply for a permit for Navajo Parks and Recreation.
And I thought I was getting opinions here?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

Sorry for my explanations of things you wanted to see. I was just, hopefully, saving you from some wasted time in your precious two-week trip by trying to explain your 'wish list'. I didn't know if you fully realized what was involved in doing them. Obviously, you do. Sorry.... have a good trip.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #11

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry for my explanations of things you wanted to see. I was just, hopefully, saving you from some wasted time in your precious two-week trip by trying to explain your 'wish list'. I didn't know if you fully realized what was involved in doing them. Obviously, you do. Sorry.... have a good trip.
No I obviously don't. I looked and saw helicopter rides. Understood there would be some hiking. 2 miles one way 4 miles total. But upon your comment I dug further. Yeah you might get a ride back out. I don't do maybe and might well. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #12

If you have time, head out to Valley of Fire a bit NE of Vegas. Sandstone rock formations aka Red Rock or Garden of the Gods in CO.

RV park is first come first serve but there are a good amount of 30a and 50a hookups. Its a great little place to stay for a couple nights.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #13

GCNP

[QUOTE=twogypsies;2963080]I hope you don't think going to the Skywalk is seeing the Grand Canyon. It isn't even at the major deep, wide area of the canyon. It's also very expensive. You can't even take a camera on it. It's far west of the national park. Here are some reviews:

Skywalk Rip off - Review of Skywalk Grand Canyon, Hualapai Reservation, AZ - TripAdvisor

I'd highly recommend you skip that and instead, go to the actual Grand Canyon National Park.

I SO Agree!! See the Canyon from the rim; Peach Springs is a major RIP=OFF!!
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #14

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Trailer Village was out of spots. We are going to make it to Flagstaff koa stay there and drive jeep to the canyon. Bike the trails etc.

Tags
gas