Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #43
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Start by getting the My Disney Experience app on your phone.

It allows you to make fast pass reservations, dining reservations, has maps, can help you find restrooms, etc...

For the more popular restaurants make reservations early...some fill up pretty quickly.

Depending on your loop...the walk to the Settlement (North end on Bay Lake) to catch the boat...or to the Outpost(South End, entrance) for catching the buses can be a hike. They do have internal busses...but you may enjoy riding a bike, or renting a golf cart.

Campsites are nicely laid out.

Enjoy a stroll or bike ride along the jogging path between Ft. Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge to catch a view of Deer in the mornings and evenings.

Your first visit will be a learning experience. Relax, enjoy...and you'll discover a multitude (too many) of things to be offered. You can't expect to do everything. Your future trips will be easier...as you'll have a clearer picture of what you enjoy most and want to concentrate on.

Comfortable shoes, and sunscreen. Have fun!
Make reservations NOW for restaurants you really want to go to and the Hoop De Do Revue.

You can get fast passes now too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've been to Fort Wilderness almost every year since our first visit (in a tent) back in 1980. We now spend winters on an RV lot only 20 minutes from the Fort yet we still have a reservation for January.

It is pricey, but I suspect you'll agree it is worth it. There has been a lot of good advice given already, but I agree, you should do the Hoopty Doo at least once. The buffet at Trails end is also the most reasonable on Disney property (both breakfast and dinner), probably as it is one of the few that don't include a character experience.

We ride our bikes everywhere, including down to the docks to catch a boat to the Magic Kingdom or one of the other resorts lining the lakes. A recent addition is a bar/grill right on the water at the Wilderness Lodge. A great place to relax and have a bite at the same time (or a beer). If eating though, order yourself at the service window, it's cheaper than ordering from the bartender or one of the wait staff.

Heck with the kids, we enjoy occasionally taking in one of the campfire movies. You'll get a schedule when you check in telling you what is playing on any given night. Yes, you must go down to the beach at least one night for the electrical water parade.

You can make fast pass ride reservations 60 days before your arrival with a resort reservation. You can make meal reservations 180 days out. If you change your mind on the meal reservations you must cancel at least the day before or you will be charged ($10). One tip, if the day of the reservation and you want to cancel, call to change it to another day and later call and cancel.

One of the best meal deals in the Magic Kingdom (or Disney World for that matter), in my opinion, is Pecos Bill's. Fajitas or burritos and there is a "condiment's" bar with multiple choices of salsa's, all the guacamole you want, cheese, etc. If light to moderate eaters two can easily share.

Yes, you should download the "My Disney Experience" app. It's free and extremely useful.

I could write a book, but I'm confident you'll have a great time. You'll have to report back and tell us all about it.

Have fun!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #45

If people have the luxury of traveling any time of the year, is there times that are considered off season at Fort Wilderness?
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
If people have the luxury of traveling any time of the year, is there times that are considered off season at Fort Wilderness?
This used to be an easy question, but to the Disney marketing departments credit, there really aren't any real slow times anymore. Yes, there are times that are better, relative to crowd levels, but there are no longer times so slow you can get on every ride, see all attractions, with little or no wait time.

That said, I still think the best combination of good weather and lower crowds are going to be the couple of weeks immediately past Thanksgiving (but you do NOT want to be there Thanksgiving week) or the weeks immediately following New Years (again, you don't want to be there the Christmas or New Years weeks). Spring/Easter break season starts mid February and will run until a week past Easter, at least. February, March and April will also see a lot of South American tour groups who can sometimes be both obnoxious and annoying (different social expectations).

If the weeks I mentioned don't work for you consider May, kind of between seasons (Spring break is long over, the snowbirds have, for the most part, left and school is still in session). Just be aware that temps can start to rise and those famous Florida thunder storms (not typically an all day event) can start to pop up. Likewise, on the backside of summer, September and October can be decent relative to crowds.

Again, anytime of year you choose to go it will take some planning to have the best experience. Take full advantage of your ability to make fast pass and dinner reservations as soon as you are able (requires reservations "on property").
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #47

We go to Fort Wilderness about twice a year. We live in Georgia so it is only an eight hour drive but we do it in two days just to slow the pace of life down.

From all the experience that I have at Disney, I say planning is the most important aspect to an enjoyable trip. If you don't have a plan then you will get lost among the multitude of people that flock there every year.

My recommendation on reading is PassPorter's Guide to Disney World
. This book does a very good job on providing information in your planning portion of the trip.

Make sure you use the Fastpass+ to your advantage. Staying at a Disney Resort, allows one to make Fastpass+ reservations 60 days in advance of your visit. If you are staying off Disney property, then when you purchase your tickets you have a 30 day window. And Yes - Disney Fort Wilderness is considered a Disney Resort.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can only choose three FastPass+ experiences (that is what Disney calls them) per day and only in one park. So if you are in Magic Kingdom for the day, you can only choose three attractions in the Disney Magic Kingdom. If you are Park Hopping (Park Hopper Option for your tickets would be required) you will not be able to split the three between two different parks.

You will want to download the Disney app for your phone as it will provide a wealth of information plus have your Disney agenda at your fingertips. This app is tied to the myDisneyExperience website. Utilize both so you have a digitally available plan to execute when you arrive.

Make sure you make reservations for meals. While in the parks it is extremely difficult to get into restaurants in the park. One tip to keep in mind, there are several resorts that are within walking, or monorail of the parks each of which have excellent restaurants with different experiences. It is worth it to get away from the hustle and bustle of the parks and enjoy a leisurely meal at these resorts. These are usually easier to get reservations than in park Restaurants.

For Ft. Wilderness, I am really surprised as to how peaceful it was. I expected it to be quite noisy, but it is relatively peaceful. They do have posted quiet times that everyone is to observe so that helps in the slower pace.

With this quiet it is a nice area to unwind after partaking in the "Disney Death March". ;-) There are several areas to help one unwind depending on your idea of unwinding.

There are two pools available for guest use. There is a bar called the Davey Crocket Tavern located with the Trails End Restaurant. There is a bike barn for renting a bike for a quiet trek on some of the trails or around the campground. Horseback riding. A family friendly western style evening show associated with the lighting of the campfire followed by a Disney Movie on a big screen. Surprisingly - this show is free. And many more activities.

I would recommend renting a Golf Cart to get around. If you are not going to bring one or rent one, then you will be relegated to the internal bus system, biking, or walking. You will definitely need to call ahead to reserve a golf cart for your trip. They very rarely have them available at last minute requests.

So from a veteran of Disney travels. Enjoy your trip. Remember the key is to plan. That also means to plan downtime. You will need it.

We are back at the end of September 2017. Hope to see you at Ft. Wilderness.
dzimmer276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #48

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #49
YC1

Enjoying our stay here right now.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
fires

I always thought Fort Wilderness didn't allow campfires on your site but not too long ago I saw a photo on Disney's website of a campsite with a fire in an enclosed type steel fireplace. It was completely enclosed with a cover but it got me wondering if they would allow a fire in one of those enclosed outdoor fireplaces. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I always thought Fort Wilderness didn't allow campfires on your site but not too long ago I saw a photo on Disney's website of a campsite with a fire in an enclosed type steel fireplace. It was completely enclosed with a cover but it got me wondering if they would allow a fire in one of those enclosed outdoor fireplaces. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
https://www.disboards.com/threads/di...-pits.2824383/

Unless there are "restrictions" in place due to seasonal conditions...they do allow the fire pits that prevent live embers from taking flight.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiTT View Post
We've stayed at Fort Wilderness numerous times and we found out last time that since we are staying on Disney property we can use any of the other resorts pools so last time we took a ferry direct from Fort wilderness to the Contemporary resort and swam in their pool and had lunch. We also took the monorail from the Contemporary to the Polynesian resort and shopped around a little bit. It seems that each time we go we learn new little ideas to make that time more memorable then the last
You were lucky, you are only allowed to use the pool at the resort you are staying at. They are now enforcing that at many resorts with magic bands and gates.
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #53

Many people said biking is easy and a substitute in FW for a golf cart. With this, i assume there are rack/places to lock up personal bikes as you leave the park for others.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
Many people said biking is easy and a substitute in FW for a golf cart. With this, i assume there are rack/places to lock up personal bikes as you leave the park for others.
Yes...Unless something has changed since we've been there.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote