Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Headed to Glacier NP

Plan on being in the area mid June. Need advice regarding campgrounds on the east side.
Traveling in a class A 40' with toad so a little space would be nice.

Any info would be appreciated.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at the St. Mary KOA in 2006 and had plenty of room for the 35-foot RV I owned at the time.

Was convenient to the Many Glacier area but a haul to the West side.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
ST Marys KOA

We stayed at St Marys KOA last year, we enjoyed it, good campground. WIFI not so much.

Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

We stayed at the St Mary KOA also. It was OK but they did have one of the nicest pools, hot tub & kids water play ground that I have seen at a KOA. Highly recommend a tour on the "Jammer" (red open air bus) through the park. The drivers depth of knowledge about the park was worth every dime.

Red Bus Jammer Tours | Glacier National Park | National Park Reservations
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

We are headed to Glacier in July, please report back on your trip! Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

Most of the lower roads are open now, however, be aware the the "Going to the Sun Hwy", usually is not opened for thru travel until around mid July. Beautiful park, watching the goats from the overlook on Hwy 2, southern edge of the park is a nice way to spend an evening. Enjoy yourselves.
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a link to the latest road status:

Glacier National Park Current Road Status
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Take the Jammer bus tour on the Going-to-the-Sun road. That way you all can enjoy the scenery. I did it both ways and driving the truck up the narrow winding road left little time for sightseeing. Also, I very afraid of heights and couldn't bring myself to drive back down, so I went East and around the south side back to my campground. Lol
ginnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Johnson's Campground & RV Park, St Mary, MT - Camping with a View of Glacier National Park Johnsons of St Mary CG. What a view!

Here's an advisory - Do not take the MH on SR 49 on the east side of Glacier! Also, unless you like traveling slowly on twisty, windy, up and down roads do not use US 89 out of Browning. Look at your map and use SR 464 north from Browning up to US 89. Then head south on US 89 to St. Mary's. We found it to be a good road and the scenery was much nicer.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Stayed at the St Mary KOA last year (July) for a week. I would stay there again. I like the east side of Glacier. The East side is much more natural than the West side. The west side has been commercialized. From the KOA is is an easy drive to many trail heads and scenery
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

Glacier NP

I've also stayed at St. Mary's KOA east of Glacier NP and saw some larger rigs there. At the time, it was a very well kept park with quite decent facilities. Not sure about the WiFi, but if you need it, and the signal is poor, sometimes walking closer to the source will increase signal strength.

Enjoy the trip, and the journey.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at the KOA in St. Marys for 5 nights last September and saw several rigs the size of yours. They do have fewer spaces into which you'll fit, however, so you might want to make reservations, if you know when you'll get there. Although mid-June might not be as busy a time. We arrived on Labor Day weekend, so had to go the "reservation in advance route" to be on the safe side. Especially since we were 2 RVs traveling together.

Friendly people and convenient for sightseeing. Even made a day trip up to Waterton. If you think you want to cross the border, remember your passport.

Beautiful place. Enjoy. We want to go back and explore more.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

This is a view from Johnson's CG in East Glacier. Very pretty, but fairly tight sites. I had no problem with my 38 footer, but my toad was a dirt bike on a hitch carrier rack.

I also stayed at the KOA in WEST Glacier. Very nice facility. I will be there again next month.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote