Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

heading to Gatlinburg tn from Clarksville AR any tips

Hi, we are heading out for Kentucky by way of Gatlinburg, Tn. WE have the trip planned up to Clarksville, Ar but looking for tips for best places to stay my hubby prefers to drive approximately 300 miles a day.

Thanks for any ideas or help!
Sally

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sallyg47,
How long will you be in Gatlinburg? What do you look forward to doing there?
1. GSMNP hiking
2. Treasure store shopping in Gatlinburg
3. Shows/attractions along the parkway
4. Eat out or dine in

Do you have your CG reservations? If not what kind of CG to you like?
1. Grass/dirt with trees
2. Concrete pad
3. Full or partial hookups

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Heading to Gatlinburg

Yes we have reservations at the Rippling water campground in Sevierville, the reviews sound nice so hopefully they are true reviews! We will be there about 6 days, my husband is hoping to get some good fall pictures. He has been there before on business and is looking forward to showing me the places he saw.

What I was hoping for was tips on staying between Clarksville AR and Gatlinburg, Memphis to busy? or nice campground in the area, Hard to pull a 5er thru the city? Also Nashville or south of Nashville better? State parks recommended? Federal Parks maybe?

Thanks for any help!
Sally
Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

Tom Sawyer campground in W. Memphis is a really nice place to stay in the Memphis area as long as the river is not at flood stage. We like the KOA in Nashville because it is so close to Opryland. Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area has numerous very nice campgrounds. We especially like River Plantation in Sevierville. Another great one is the Dell. Anchor Down is a brand new campground between Sevierville and Dandridge, TN., albeit a bit expensive. We have never stayed at Ripplin Waters, but we have driven through it. It looks nice, but a good distance away from the local attractions as is Anchor Down. Hope you enjoy your stay. Peak fall color is usually mid October.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sallyg47,
Consider staying in Nashville on Music Valley Drive. It is just off the Interstate. There are 3 choices:
1. KOA
2. Yogi Bear
3. No Name

Been to all 3 and I prefer the KOA. CW is right next door. The Opry is about a mile away. Easy in and out.

As to the Rippling Water CG in Sevierville. Because you want to be close to I 40 the choice is okay. When exiting to leave the area, you will be making a left turn over 3 lanes of traffic. Hubby will need to be on his toes. Traffic should not be too bad this time or year. In October the traffic will be a challenge (leaf peeper season). If you are coming in September fall colors will not have begun. From the CG to any entertainment or the GSMNP will be a drive. Not in miles but in time. I can provide some CG alternatives, if you want to switch CGs. Because your post mentioned Gatlinburg, consider driving there and take a left at traffic light 8 (in Gatlinburg). Watch for signs for the Roaring Fork Motor Trail. It is a one way road that leads one though overlooks, buildings of the 1800's, old homesteads etc. Upon exiting one can double back to Gatlinburg and enjoy the Treasure Shops and a restaurant or two. In Gatlinburg, consider the Park Grill. It is the last business on the main street before going off to GSMNP (on the left). Excellent food.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

We always stay at River Plantation.
Favorite Rest. is the Peddler in Gatlinburg, if go wait for a table overlooking the river. Be sure to locate Highway 449, it runs parallel to 441 but has much less traffic and will get you through Pigeon Forge much faster.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, we will be there from the 30th of Sept to the 6th of October. The Koa in Nashville is full so next best one? The 2 Rivers, the grand ole market or jellystone? I told my husband about the 3 lanes of traffic in Sevierville at the Ripplin water, needless to say he didn't like that idea at all! We are heading up to Frankfort Kn after wards and have reservations at the Elk Horn Campground has anyone stayed there? Also planning on stopping in Branson Mo on the way home any tips there?

We really appreciate all the tips and advice!

Sally and Bill
Old 09-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
Jellystone would be my choice. The sties are larger than 2 River. In the Sevierville area, if you want some good places to eat that are near where you are staying post here or PM me.

In Branson consider the KOA. Easy in and out. Pull through sites (trees and no trees) ask when you reserve. Room to maneuver the 5ver. Can't beat the location. About 1/2 mile to the main drag where most all the shows are. Learn the loop roads to get around the traffic.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #9

heading to Gatlinburg tn from Clarksville AR any tips

I just booked anchor down for oct 3-7 it looks nice on the web do you know of any good orv parks or trails near by?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Don't worry about the 3 lane left turn. There's a traffic light at that intersection. No biggie.

Also, look at TwoRivers rv park. Smaller park, very well manicured and clean.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Anchor down is beautiful. BUT, it's about 8 miles away from main road. Twisty turny. Bothers some but not me. No place to run or ride bikes. You must get in the car and drive 15 minutes to find safe place to run/ride.

PM me if you want details. My wife and I run daily and ride frequently.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have never stayed in Clarksville, AR; but I have stayed several times in Eureka Springs, AR at Wanderlust RV Park, I really like it and love the town of Eureka Springs and just a short drive to Branson.

Branson has a lot of great campgrounds, if you do a search on Branson on this forum you will see plenty of options that will work for you. Safe travels.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm in Twin Creek RV Resort right now and it is very nice. Closest campground to Gatlinburg and National Park. Also on a trolley route to Gatlinburg.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #14

Five Stars***** for Anchor Down in TN. The place will spoil you. View is incredible. Lake and mountains.

"life happens, enjoy it".. 🇺🇸
2008 HR Ambassador DP 360 38'