Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #15

Wow. That looks like fun. We have a '14 4dr Sahara (not a Rubicon). To date we've only done forest fire break trails. Not rock crawling...and have no intention of doing so. Moab looks like Jeep paradise. Would any of the trails that you've been on be suited for beginners?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I love Utah.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Wow. That looks like fun. We have a '14 4dr Sahara (not a Rubicon). To date we've only done forest fire break trails. Not rock crawling...and have no intention of doing so. Moab looks like Jeep paradise. Would any of the trails that you've been on be suited for beginners?

Absolutely, although I would recommend traveling with another vehicle in case of any problems. Some of these areas are very remote. You can go to traildamage.com to see all of the trails we've run, along with trail descriptions, gps tracks, trip reports, and trail difficulty ratings from 1 to 10. With 1 being any sedan could travel, 3 being the level a stock SUV could travel, and 4 being a trail that a stock Jeep Wrangler with no lift and no larger tires could handle. The trail descriptions are a guideline of course. Driver confidence and ability could affect the rating, as well as trail conditions could change since the trail was last rated.

Feel free to pm me if you want any recommendations!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #18

Today was the last day of our trip, and we opted for milder, more scenic trails west of Green River.
Copper Globe Mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1221.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	161941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	161942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1225.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	161943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	161944Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	161945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.JPG
Size:	561.3 KB
ID:	161946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	161947Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.JPG
Size:	593.9 KB
ID:	161948Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.JPG
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	161949Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	161950
Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #19

Looks like you had a good trip. I love it out there.

Also glad to hear your friends were ok apparently not without at least a bit of trouble though. We have never had a close call in the slots but have bailed more than once due to potential weather after we got started. In the mid 90's we did lower antelope canyon the next day 11 people were killed in a flash flood there. In the early 2000's we were doing Peekaboo, Spooky and Brimstone in the Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch. Came out got back to the car SAR was there looking over the only other vehicle there asked us a bunch of questions about a guy who was missing. A day after we were in a hotel watching the news and they found the guy. He was in one of the canyons we had been in farther up. We walked up from the mouth and he had walked down from the head. Got in a spot that pinched off and couldn't get back out apparently he had been in there for a week with one peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a quart of water. Having been back since then we were probably no more than 200 yards from him when we had been there previously.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #20

Nice photos and "wish we were there"! Jeeping is so much fun.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
Looks like you had a good trip. I love it out there.

Also glad to hear your friends were ok apparently not without at least a bit of trouble though. We have never had a close call in the slots but have bailed more than once due to potential weather after we got started. In the mid 90's we did lower antelope canyon the next day 11 people were killed in a flash flood there. In the early 2000's we were doing Peekaboo, Spooky and Brimstone in the Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch. Came out got back to the car SAR was there looking over the only other vehicle there asked us a bunch of questions about a guy who was missing. A day after we were in a hotel watching the news and they found the guy. He was in one of the canyons we had been in farther up. We walked up from the mouth and he had walked down from the head. Got in a spot that pinched off and couldn't get back out apparently he had been in there for a week with one peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a quart of water. Having been back since then we were probably no more than 200 yards from him when we had been there previously.

Wow, sounds like you had some close calls. I have a healthy respect for the desert, and especially the slot canyons. I also know my limitations, and I'm not in my prime anymore. I wouldn't try that Muddy River hike under ideal conditions.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Going won't be bad, it's coming home that will be tough. I always dislike going east past Glenwood Springs on I-70.

Fred
As you predicted, going home wasn't as nice. Not only was it sad to realize that the trip was over, the climbs up Vail Pass and to the Johnson Tunnel were harder to maintain speed above 40 mph. I got stuck behind a truck doing 35 and had to grind it out at that speed for a long ways as I did not want to get into the left lane and try to accelerate past him. The View handled well with the Jeep in tow, porpoising sometimes when there was a significant bump. The Blue Ox braking system worked very well and was easy to install and remove. I'm glad to have a system that will work on either the Jeep or the Miata.

The good news is that I got better fuel mileage heading home and averaged 14 mpg for the whole trip towing the Jeep. I'll take that!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #23

Great shots from my 'hood. Enjoyed them. One of my favorite trails out that way is Top of the World, just east of Moab. We last ran that in 2015: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...ld+Moab#p74462
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
Great shots from my 'hood. Enjoyed them. One of my favorite trails out that way is Top of the World, just east of Moab. We last ran that in 2015: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Utah 7/27-29/15 - A little mountains, a little desert
Thanks for the link. We also ran Top of the World in 2015 (October); great trail and the scenery at the end is worth the trip up. One of my favorite photos of my Jeep is with it parked on that overhanging ledge. FYI, TrailDamage.com rates the trail as a 5 out of 10, and it has gotten more difficult over the years. It had been 9 years since I last ran it and the difference was remarkable.

As a side note, I was at the Dewey Bridge the day after it was lost due to a kid playing with matches. There was still burnt wood floating down the Colorado River to Moab. Such a waste.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME for Maine View Post
As a side note, I was at the Dewey Bridge the day after it was lost due to a kid playing with matches. There was still burnt wood floating down the Colorado River to Moab. Such a waste.
Indeed.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #26

That was one cool bridge. We were in Moab the same time that the bridge burnt. Saw it a couple days later on the way home to Denver. It was a sad day even though they had already replaced it years before. Have driven across that bridge many times before the new improved one went up. In fact I have a picture somewhere of my car (a 72 Pinto no less) sitting on it when it broke down right smack in the middle of it. Dang thing just died which it had a tendency to do. Fortunately back then traffic was very light on that road. Got it going within 20 minutes and on our way into Moab to start the weekend fun.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
That was one cool bridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3925.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	162215. The day after.