RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #1

Heading to Utah/Arizona

This will be our first long trip and we are heading to UT/AZ for the next month (from NY).

First stopping point is planned to be Moab, UT (well first destination I suppose LOL) and I am just wondering what kind of "RV congestion" we should expect out that way from mid-October to Thanksgiving...Or in other words "am I going to have to worry about having reservations for everyplace we decide to go"? We will do some campgrounds as well as some boondocking, but hoping to make this a "follow our noses" kind of trip vs. "we will be in Escalante on Tuesday".

Also would appreciate any places that you feel are worth visiting (traveling with 2 dogs so realize that the National Parks are kind of limiting in that way). We did do a whirlwind tour of UT/AZ with our kids about 8 years ago and would like to do it at a leisurely pace this time with lots of hiking and fresh air.

Thoughts appreciated :-)

Thanks,

Marc

MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We've been to Utah several times and always have fun. I can't comment on traffic and need of reservations this time of year.

We love Moab as there is so much to do there. Bryce is beautiful but higher elevation. If you are looking to northern Utah Heber City has some great hiking in the Wasatch range. Plus it's proximity to Park City and Deer Valley make it a good base. Mountain Valley RV park in Heber is one of the nicest CGs we've been to.

Good luck with the plans.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
.Or in other words "am I going to have to worry about having reservations for everyplace we decide to go"?

Thanks,

Marc
Yes - holidays

Maybe - weekends

No - week days
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

Never made that trip but have visited Utah parks in Oct and Nov. Remember that all of the Utah parks are high elevation. Bryce and Cedar Breaks are VERY high and probably closed by Nov. So crowds should not be a big problem but cold weather and possible poor driving conditions could be.
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Many RV parks close for the winter starting in October so there will be fewer sites available. And as has been said, high elevation gets cold and possibly snow early in the season. The farther south (and warmer) you go the more you will need reservations.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #6

We were just in Moab earlier this week. It wasn't too crowded but it's turned into a true tourist trap in the last 10 years. Horsethief BLM was one place we could usually just show up and get a spot. Not this time or the last time 2 years ago. The other BLM campgrounds along the Colorado river looked to be pretty full too.
Bryce North CG was about 2/3 occupied when we arrived late in the day so no problems there. No idea about the Sunset CG but it was probably the same. We didn't check the amenities but it was in the 40F to 50F range overnight so the showers may be shut down. Email or call the park snd ask.
The surprise was North Rim GC. It's another place we just showed up at last time in what we thought was the off season and got a spot about 4 years ago. Not this time. The showers and laundry were still open but they close October 15.
US89 south of the Tuba City cutoff is closed. Its a long detour around it to Winslow on I-40 and then back to Williams and north. If you were thinking of heading farther south. It may be why GCNR is so crowded now. Too hard to get south.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
This will be our first long trip and we are heading to UT/AZ for the next month (from NY).

First stopping point is planned to be Moab, UT (well first destination I suppose LOL) and I am just wondering what kind of "RV congestion" we should expect out that way from mid-October to Thanksgiving...Or in other words "am I going to have to worry about having reservations for everyplace we decide to go"? We will do some campgrounds as well as some boondocking, but hoping to make this a "follow our noses" kind of trip vs. "we will be in Escalante on Tuesday".

Also would appreciate any places that you feel are worth visiting (traveling with 2 dogs so realize that the National Parks are kind of limiting in that way). We did do a whirlwind tour of UT/AZ with our kids about 8 years ago and would like to do it at a leisurely pace this time with lots of hiking and fresh air.

Thanks,

Marc
This post on another forum might help address it - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...0.cfm#29758300

Along with this on Moab - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm -

State Parks - Have Good Boots and some Warm Clothes to Go with the T shirts and Shorts. -

Not sure how you are coming out - I'd Suggest working Yourself to Hannibal and Taking RT 36 out - good road, less traffic, and just a little more enjoyable than the I's. -

When Coming through Denver slide off I-70 to RT 58 to RT 6 that follows Clear Creek to idaho Springs. Beautiful drive good road and will get you into the Rockies - I love the drive. -

Then when getting into Utah on I-70 jump off at Exit 214 to RT 128 and follow the Colorado River into Moab. Again just a Beautiful drive - One of my all time favorites in Utah - Along with RT 12. -

Map - https://binged.it/2IFCCnv

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks,

Marc

Live in northern Utah and find the southern part of the state in particular gets more and more crowded every year. Starting mid to late October, the crowds start dropping, but some of the campgrounds close as well so it can still be difficult to find a spot if you're looking on a weekend. Weather wise, we got a fair dusting of snow on the higher mountains last night, and snow levels are supposed to drop through the week. Having just come back up from the Zion area where the daytime temps were in the mid 90's last week it's quite a change.

The area around lake powell should be nice, with few crowds, and capitol reef national park, along with the Escalante area will be pretty empty, which I like. You do have some mountain passes to go over though that may have short duration weather issues.

The Moab area should be nice, I also like Bryce that time of year, but it will most likely be quite cool at night, and you may get snow. It makes the park beautiful, but can be tough camping wise if you're not set up for below freezing. The north Rim is hit and miss as to whether or not the roads will be open in Nov, generally good through Oct. Park will pretty much close up in a couple weeks. In my opinion, you're looking at one of the best times of year to be in the Zion area. Might get fairly cool at night, but generally about perfect hiking weather unless you were planning to hike the river in the narrows.

Cedar Breaks national monument will probably have a fair bit of snow by the end of this month. The campground is at 10,000 and I believe they have snow already.

Have a great trip.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #9

Should add (now home, after about 5500 miles on a lazy loop tour of the lower 48) we went up 14 off US 89 as far as Duck Creek, after Bryce, and there was no trace of snow anywhere. It was comfortable during the day when we went up for a quick look around the village. I would imagine the overnight temps at CBNM were quite a bit lower.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona