Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Got the web sight figured out.(sometimes a little slow)
Made res. at Grant Village. Can't wait!
Thanks for the input

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #16

Yellowstone national park

We will be finishing up our summer at YSNP at Bridge Bay Campground as Hosts. Great place to spend the summer. By the time you get there, 9/2, Bridge Bay will be closed and hopefully a lull in the crowds. We have always managed to get into Lake Hotel for dinner without reservations all summer - if you want to eat a little early ... 5:00-5:30 you can walk right in. Otherwise sit in the beautiful lounge, listening to the Lake Hotel string orchestra play while you wait for a table. Everything in YSNP is enchanting. Have a great time!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

lots of road closures starting sept. 1 - replacing bridge on divide only way to get to south gate will be through Idaho north gate construction as well check park web site for more details or destinationwellowstone.com chamber website in west yellowstone .
Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #18

Heading to Yellowstone any recomendations?

I might suggest that a tour bus trip thru the park is also a good experience. The last few years we have been doing the "tours" several places.

In YNP I have done the tour in the summer and also in the winter. Winter is awesome. Bus is on track in the back and skies in the front. The drivers are generally very well educated with the park. If you do a tour I'd suggest it be one of the first things you do. Then go back in your car and do thing that the tour doesn't do. The drivers are very good to tell you other things to do.

The tour buses I'm talking about are 21 passenger. The ones I used in YNP were based in West Yellowstone

Russell
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We just finished a week at the West Yellowstone KOA and now settled in at the West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park. I already like the park over the KOA for two major reasons. 1. There is limited WIFI and it is impossible to get Verizon voice or data unless you move up toward the road. 2. Not all roads are paved and the maintenance ATV's and rigs kick up dust which makes it impossible to open windows or keep your rig clean. Tip: Leave early before the crowds. We have been to the N,NE, W entrances and loops and have had no waits or crowded views...Good Luck and have Fun....It is a wonderful place.....
Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #20

Did you see bear up in the NE Side of the park. Good piece off the road. Maybe an elk back there too?

Russell
Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Route Question for Big Rig Inside Park

Traveling from Cody to West Yellowstone tomorrow - 40' DP with toad. Plan to go in thru East Entrance, but unsure whether to stay on US20 at Fishing Bridge, or turn north on Grand Loop and take Norris Canyon Rd. over to US89. Any thoughts?
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Either way is O.K., you will find you'll have to go over Craig Pass between Grant and Old Faithful, but it's not a bad climb. The other route, from Fishing Bridge to Canyon to Norris is less climbing and if you're new to YNP you can stop and see bison in Hayden Valley, Mud Volcano, and other sights along the way. Starting Sept 2 Craig's pass will be closed for construction.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #23
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Either way is O.K., you will find you'll have to go over Craig Pass between Grant and Old Faithful, but it's not a bad climb. The other route, from Fishing Bridge to Canyon to Norris is less climbing and if you're new to YNP you can stop and see bison in Hayden Valley, Mud Volcano, and other sights along the way. Starting Sept 2 Craig's pass will be closed for construction.
Thanks Bob. Hayden Valley and Norris Canyon it will be. Very excited to get to Yellowstone tomorrow - I've never been and it's long been a bucket list item. 15-nights in West Yellowstone then 6-nights in Colter Bay. They're gonna close that road between Old Faithful and West Thumb 30-hrs before I was planning to go that way so I'll get to try out some of my newly found "retired guy" patience on some alternate route.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #24

RE: Yellowstone NP

We were at Yellowstone a little less than a year ago, and here's our take on it (current road closures not taken into consideration)

- The main part of the park is a "figure 8" of road. If you can afford the time, try not to attempt to take in too much any day, because you're lucky if you average 30 MPH (and you'll frequently be stuck in a bear/elk/bison jam.)

- We were fairly unimpressed with the north section of the park. When we go back, I think we'll probably focus on the western thermal features. (The north end does have all the NP admin buildings, and we did get to see a herd of ~ 20 elk. But if I want to see elk, I can just pop up to Rocky Mt Nat'l Park.)

- Definitely try to have dinner at one of the grand lodges- either Lake Yellowstone or Old Faithful Inn.

- The only place we got cell reception was around the Old Faithful area
Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
wrp75 "- We were fairly unimpressed with the north section of the park."

The northern part of YNP has Mammoth Hot Springs and Ft. Yellowstone, the original army base that protected the park from 1872. The Mammoth Hot Springs were created by hot water traveling through limestone layers and the dissolved calcite has been deposited in large, spectacular formations. The Roosevelt Gate, the stone arch that served as the main entrance to the park when most tourists arrived by railroad. Lamar Valley, 'The Serengeti of Yellowstone' is a place to spend time and spot wildlife. Wolves, elk, bison, coyotes, grizzly and black bears, golden eagles, bald eagles, etc. Sheepeater Cliff, a basalt formation of rock columns. Bunsen Peak, a nice hike to a very scenic view of Mammoth Hot Springs and the Gardiner Valley. Tower Falls and Roosevelt areas are interesting, take a horseback or wagon ride. Golden Gate Canyon is a spectacular drive as you enter into Mammoth. There are many things to see in the top half of the park, I've just touched on a few of them. From behind the Mammoth Hotel you can take your car on the original entrance road that goes out to Gardiner. Almost always will see big horn sheep, coyotes, elk along the gravel road. Obsidian Cliff is the origin of most obsidian knives and arrowheads used by native americans from coast to coast. You have to park and walk to it unless you just drive by, but historic bit of geology. A Mt. Washburn hike to park's 2nd tallest peak with a visitor's rest and fire lookout is a great walk. View of the Grand Canyon of YNP, Yellowstone Lake, and on a clear day you can see the Tetons.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #26

Touché. And I should have stated that much differently: compared to the rest of the park we were unimpressed with the northern section. (It probably doesn't help that we both really liked the thermal features, and Mammoth Hot Springs- while large- just couldn't match Norris Geyser Basin for us.)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #27

is the lake hotel far from fishing bridge cg ?.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
No, only a mile or two from each other. There's Lake Hotel, a grand old dame, and Lake Lodge and cabins in the same area along the lake. The Lodge has a good cafeteria style dining room. Often bison in the meadow in front of the lodge. I stayed a night in a cabin and it started creaking and shaking, a bison had decided to use my steps as a back rub!

Bob & Donna