Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Heading West

First, I have 2004 Tiffin Allegro DA30 Gas MH. We are leaving the first week of Oct. heading to Az then down into west Tx to the southern tip of Tx before heading to Galveston Tx along the coast to arrive around the Dec 1. We are making several stops along the way. We will be going thru Ar, Ok, Tx, Nm, and then Az before we head to Tx. We will be traveling I40 it appears. The better half wants to see the Grand Canyon as she never has been west before. Found a campground called Trailer Village Rv Park at the Grand Canyon. Has anyone heard of this place before? Will I be climbing mountains to get there? Remember I'm driving a gas MN. I'm concerned about the road, mountains and weather for Oct. and Nov. I'm sure a lot of you might have made this type of trip before and I'm looking for any advice or suggestion or info I need to know. THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh no, you'll be fine. The Trailer Village is the only game in town with regard to an onsite park. Your rig length will be great there. Enjoy the Canyon!

You're on your own for weather! Keep on eye on the forecasts and plan accordingly. It was snowing here in Colorado back in July occasionally.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

We have a 36 ft MH with the 8.1 Workhorse gas engine. We have driven all over the west and have not had any issues with mountains or anything else. Not sure what engine you have but the Workhorse will handle anything out there on your trip.
Just for information, Williams AZ has a great campground which you can take the train to the Grand Canyon plus the town is a throw back to Route 66. Williams is a great base to see the area and if you wanted to drive to the canyon that is possible also.
Just keep an eye on the weather, it can change overnight.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a great trip, but it will be lots of miles. We typically do parts of it in 2-3 weeks each state in January and February, so this time of year won't be a problem. Yes, you will climb coming out of Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, but boy is it worth it! You won't have a problem if you use your gears instead of your brake when coming down. There are lots of resorts and +55 places to park as well. Try to visit the Superstition Mountins just east of Phoenix if you can.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

You could always stay in Williams and take the train. Bearizona in Williams is a good time. Train is touristy but most people like it, especially mid-westerners. Wupatki National Monument and Walnut Canyon are very cool Near Flagstaff.Wupatki National Monument | Flagstaff Arizona | Wupatki Indian Ruins Pictures, Map, Directions
https://www.nps.gov/waca/index.htm
Bearizona Wildlife Park
https://www.thetrain.com/the-train/?...zggaAo7S8P8HAQ
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

I'd recommend staying in the park itself at Trailer Village rather than the expensive 50-mile train ride. With the train you're only at the Canyon a few hours before having to board again. It's not enough time to really enjoy the Canyon.

From Flagstaff head south to see beautiful Sedona - stay nearby in Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Then continue south to Apache Junction and stay at Lost Dutchman State Park. You won't believe the beauty of the mountain from the campground at the base of it. (You won't be driving it) Then head down to Tucson and stay at Catalina State Park - a beauty and very nice hiking - again, at the base of the Catalina Mountains.
At Benson, AZ you can tour Kartchner Caverns State Park (the Throne Room tour is best). The attached campground is very nice. Take the easy drive over to Tombstone (weekends are more festive) and the mine tour at Bisbee, AZ is awesome. It's given by ex-miners. You don a yellow slicker and hard hat with a light and board the mine car for a great tour.

The weather along I-40 should be o.k. in Oct/Nov and you'll have no big mountains to cross but you'll have some downhills around Albuquerque and south of Flagstaff.
Hope you're towing a car for this trip - lots of siteseeing to do!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd recommend staying in the park itself at Trailer Village rather than the expensive 50-mile train ride. With the train you're only at the Canyon a few hours before having to board again. It's not enough time to really enjoy the Canyon.

From Flagstaff head south to see beautiful Sedona - stay nearby in Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Then continue south to Apache Junction and stay at Lost Dutchman State Park. You won't believe the beauty of the mountain from the campground at the base of it. (You won't be driving it) Then head down to Tucson and stay at Catalina State Park - a beauty and very nice hiking - again, at the base of the Catalina Mountains.
At Benson, AZ you can tour Kartchner Caverns State Park (the Throne Room tour is best). The attached campground is very nice. Take the easy drive over to Tombstone (weekends are more festive) and the mine tour at Bisbee, AZ is awesome. It's given by ex-miners. You don a yellow slicker and hard hat with a light and board the mine car for a great tour.

The weather along I-40 should be o.k. in Oct/Nov and you'll have no big mountains to cross but you'll have some downhills around Albuquerque and south of Flagstaff.
Ditto on the train ride. Doesn't leave you enough time to really see anything. We are returning to Kentucky from a 6 week trip, KY to Arizona, to WA State, then back on a more northerly route.

In Sedona, if you don't mind listening to a time share, you can find several kiosks on main street that will give you a SUPER discount on helicopter flights, meals, etc, just have to listen to a time share. Not a bad deal on the time share if that's your thing . . . at least the 4th offer wasn't, but we still didn't bite! Take off, enjoy your trip, and have a great time!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Great advice. My only suggest is would be wonderful to get up to Monument Valley while you are that close, you will not regret it, beautiful.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Canyon - WEST RIM 'Heads-Up!'

I just returned from a 10-Day/10-State trip that brought us from Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon (West & South rims), Monument Valley, Four Corners, through Colorado and then back home.

Awesome trip!

In, almost 4500 miles, one thing has left a bad taste in my month; Grand Canyon west rim...

Grand Canyon South is the Grand Canyon we have always loved for generations. And we loved it on our trip as well.

Coming from Hoover Dam we decided to try Grand Canyon west rim and the new 'Skywalk'.

What a rip-off!

First the trip is almost an hour from Highway 93 across a pretty poor two-lane highway.

You get there and you are flagged to park in a parking lot and it is obvious that you are nowhere near the canyon.

You learn you need to take a shuttle the rest of the distance. OK...

$50 A PERSON!! Are you kidding me? There were six in our group, $300 to take a shuttle to the canyon. I was fuming, but we invested in an hour to get there (and we had an hour back to Highway 93!).

OK, we get to the building that houses the Skywalk and guess what? ALMOST $30/person to walk out on the Skywalk!! Another $180!! I told the kids I was sorry, but I couldn't do it...

My daughter and her friend really wanted to go on the skywalk, so they spent their own money. They came back livid.

YOU CAN'T BRING YOUR CAMERA ONTO THE SKYWALK!! They have lockers to put your cameras into and metal detectors to check to make sure you had no camera or phone on you.

They have photographers who will take your picture and you can then buy inside...

The worst part (OK, not worse, but next worst part) is that the Skywalk does not extend that far out and the glass is smoked so you really don't get that feeling of being suspended above the canyon. My daughter said when you looked through the glass you saw the gradual slopping of the canyon wall below. Not the bottom of the canyon and certainly not the river.

The west rim is not run by our government, but by the Hualapai tribe.

I left here and swore I would tell anyone who would listen about this scam.

OK, thanks, I feel better...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
First, I have 2004 Tiffin Allegro DA30 Gas MH. We are leaving the first week of Oct. heading to Az then down into west Tx to the southern tip of Tx before heading to Galveston Tx along the coast to arrive around the Dec 1. We are making several stops along the way. We will be going thru Ar, Ok, Tx, Nm, and then Az before we head to Tx. We will be traveling I40 it appears. The better half wants to see the Grand Canyon as she never has been west before. Found a campground called Trailer Village Rv Park at the Grand Canyon. Has anyone heard of this place before? Will I be climbing mountains to get there? Remember I'm driving a gas MN. I'm concerned about the road, mountains and weather for Oct. and Nov. I'm sure a lot of you might have made this type of trip before and I'm looking for any advice or suggestion or info I need to know. THANKS
Sounds good, we are going around the same time frame, except we are going from Mpls to Rapid city SD then south into
Lusk , Wyoming exiting @ Evanston into Salt Lake City, taken a hard Left onto 15 into Vegas. Then continue on 95 into Yuma.

This is the way I did it in my semi and always said I would do it again someday but in a car or MH, So We are going with both I also have a gasser 454/ 4 barrel and I might just take the toad off before the mountain's. I don't see any problems doing it this way. Should handle the mountains, just watch your tac and use your gears going up the Mountains and as a op stated using your gears going down and a tac.
Where in AZ are you heading?
Have a safe trip,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
HHg

Just a quick FYI: Unless you have reservations at Trailer Village, I'd sure call them before you get there. I tried to find 5 nights there yesterday (on the phone) and they were booked until Nov 1st. I also tries Kaibab near the North Rim with the same results ( except for the fact they close earlier than Trailer Village)

Thanks !
Hhg
Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #12

There is a National Forest campground at Kaibab Lake just off the I-40 Williams exit but go north. We stay there frequently. There are some hook up areas if needed. You can check reservations on-line for the time you might be there. Easy trip to the South Rim of the canyon from there and probably the least expensive place to stay other then just in the woods. If you have an access pass for being old or disabled it is very inexpensive. There is no RV dump on site.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #13

Trailer Village RV in Grand Canyon, AZ...the week of Oct 23 is complete open if you want to do reservations...and all days after.

https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel...232.1471056823
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoIDMan View Post
I just returned from a 10-Day/10-State trip that brought us from Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon (West & South rims), Monument Valley, Four Corners, through Colorado and then back home.

Awesome trip!

In, almost 4500 miles, one thing has left a bad taste in my month; Grand Canyon west rim...

Grand Canyon South is the Grand Canyon we have always loved for generations. And we loved it on our trip as well.

Coming from Hoover Dam we decided to try Grand Canyon west rim and the new 'Skywalk'.

What a rip-off!

First the trip is almost an hour from Highway 93 across a pretty poor two-lane highway.

You get there and you are flagged to park in a parking lot and it is obvious that you are nowhere near the canyon.

You learn you need to take a shuttle the rest of the distance. OK...

$50 A PERSON!! Are you kidding me? There were six in our group, $300 to take a shuttle to the canyon. I was fuming, but we invested in an hour to get there (and we had an hour back to Highway 93!).

OK, we get to the building that houses the Skywalk and guess what? ALMOST $30/person to walk out on the Skywalk!! Another $180!! I told the kids I was sorry, but I couldn't do it...

My daughter and her friend really wanted to go on the skywalk, so they spent their own money. They came back livid.

YOU CAN'T BRING YOUR CAMERA ONTO THE SKYWALK!! They have lockers to put your cameras into and metal detectors to check to make sure you had no camera or phone on you.

They have photographers who will take your picture and you can then buy inside...

The worst part (OK, not worse, but next worst part) is that the Skywalk does not extend that far out and the glass is smoked so you really don't get that feeling of being suspended above the canyon. My daughter said when you looked through the glass you saw the gradual slopping of the canyon wall below. Not the bottom of the canyon and certainly not the river.

The west rim is not run by our government, but by the Hualapai tribe.

I left here and swore I would tell anyone who would listen about this scam.

OK, thanks, I feel better...
I heard that - sorry about your experience. We pretty much steer completely clear of anything run by the Native Americans.

On that same note - we just went to Evergreen Oregon to see the Spruce Goose - $50 entry, but another $30 to see the cockpit! I understand the whole company is bankrupt - but gee zoots. That's was the only reason I drove 800 miles out of our way.