Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Helen, GA: Anyone ever been???

We are planning to head to Helen, GA for July 4th. I've heard it's a fun little town with a lot to do there. We are staying at Yonah Mtn. Campground and are hoping to get some kayaking and tubing done on the river there too.

Does anyone have any recommendations of things we should see or do there??
01STrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01STrunner View Post
We are planning to head to Helen, GA for July 4th. I've heard it's a fun little town with a lot to do there. We are staying at Yonah Mtn. Campground and are hoping to get some kayaking and tubing done on the river there too.

Does anyone have any recommendations of things we should see or do there??
Interesting little town. Have been there a couple of times on the Harley. You can rent a tube and float the river. Not sure about kayaking. Its definitely a tourist town. Several nice local restaurants there.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
If there is rain in the area you can use your kayak. This is the Chattahoochee, a big river, that is born on the mountains just above Helen.
There is a forest service road that runs beside the river for a few miles and then over the mountain. We have ridden this dirt/gravel road in a Honda Element and in our present toad, a 4 d. Jeep. Lot of fun. Watch for deer and bear. It comes out near the AT crossing on hiway 75 between Helen and Hiawassee.
Brasstown Bald Mtn is the highest point in Ga and interesting place to visit. It is a short drive from Helen also.
Lots of food in Helen. Some very good and some just OK. Lot of tourist stuff.
Ride over to Moccasin Creek SP and visit the trout hatchery on the creek where it runs into the lake. Geezers and kids can fish for free in the creek. With luck there will be blue grass music under the pavilion (call before leaving to check if you don't fish)
There is much to do in the general area. Alexander's store is an amazing place with every thing from tee shirts and clothing to kitchen appliances and firearms. Out in the country, but pretty much the WalMart of the countryfolk. Google it for the address and directions.
Have fun, but remember there are a few thousand other people there for the same reason you are. You may see some traffic
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Been going to Helen and the national forest north of there since I was a kid, and boy has it changed. In days gone by, it was a beautiful little alpine town with lots of local food, crafts, you name it. Now it's all tshirts and knick-knacks, and heavily tourist. That said, we still like going there and enjoying the town.
  • Stick with the old town area. Everything south of there is all tourist crap. Even old town is touristy, but there are still a few gems.
  • For candy, visit Hansel & Gretl's. It's one of the last bastions of the old town still in operation. Although they got rid of the taffy puller years ago. :(
  • The Troll Tavern, food is eh but the location is the best to sit by the river
  • Go north of town and hop a tube for a fun river ride.
  • For dinner, there is a lot of crap to avoid. Go to the Bodensee, you will not be sorry.
  • Do not, repeat, do not drive the coach through town. Park somewhere outside and toad, hitchhike, anything but the coach.
  • Wildewood is a neat shop, still has some of the local crafts there.
  • Slow down, stroll and people watch. That's really the best thing to do in Helen.
  • Unicoi State Park is just north, and a very nice place to visit and do a little hiking.
  • Take 17E just a few miles out of town and visit the Old Sautee Store. It's gone tourist too, but still a very interesting place with lots of Nordic goods and an excellent sandwich shop. I have pictures of me and my brother on the front porch at this store going back 30+ years.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been there years ago in a car and the traffic was horrendous; I seem to remember it taking an hour to get through town and there were no side roads to get out of the traffic. Is it still bad? At least I can say I've been to Helen back!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Forgot to mention, there are several good wineries in the area too. But do not go to Habersham's. Terrible. We really liked Sautee-Nacoochee but I think it's closed. Yonah Mountain is outstanding.

Going southwest to Dahlonega, you'll want to visit Wolf Mountain (great wine, good food, make reservations ahead of time) and Montaluce (good wine, great food, usually don't need reservations but they help).
Old 06-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Helen can be fun but it can also be EXTREMELY crowded. Less than 90 minutes from north Atlanta and all that that implies!

That being said it is worth the effort if you are in the area. I haven't been in years but we used to go several times a year and the area has grown and there is more to see and do today than there was the last time I was there (I can remember when the draw to Helen was the only legal beer within 5o miles LOL).

There is also some unbelievably good trout fishing in the area. The Chattahoochee gets loads of use in the area...everything from inner tubes and people swimming to kayaks and canoes....but the fishing can be outstanding! Several other streams in the area. Go early and even on crowded weekends you may not see another person before 9 AM!
GermanDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the ideas and advice! Keep it coming!

The two of us are big into the outdoors side of life, so we will definitely be exploring north of town, and I swear the misses is a fish because you can't keep her (or the dog for that matter) out of the water if there is ever any around so the river fun will definitely be had!

Mark, I didn't even think of looking for wineries, but that is yet another hobby we enjoy!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01STrunner View Post
Mark, I didn't even think of looking for wineries, but that is yet another hobby we enjoy!
Excellent! My wife and I have been to just about every winery in north GA, most more than once. It's one of our favorite things to do. Typically GA whites are better than the reds, but some winemakers are starting to get the GA red clay figured out. Wolf Mountain is definitely one of the better ones and it's relatively close to Helen. But depending on what direction you're coming/going from, the best one we have found is Engelheim Vineyards, just south of Ellijay. The vintner is retired military and he has figured out how to create beautiful red wines that can stand toe to toe with California. It's not a big destination place, but it is beautiful and his wines are absolutely outstanding. Hope you have a great trip!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #10

Bring a bullet proof helmet.
Stray bullet wounds 1, kills another on other side of Ga. street

I've been there - Helen is good for about a 2 hours walk through.

If you are into hiking, mtn biking, and water sports it is a good area.

While the movie was shot north of Georgia (North Carolina?) the book it was based upon was about North Georgia. Enjoy!

dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #11

From the campground, before Helen is an Indian mound at Ga 17. If you go south to Sautee / Nacoochee at the corner of 255 is a tiny deli in the store that was awesome.
Go north on 255 and at the first bridge there is a pull off and a covered bridge for photo opportunity. There is a small fall on the other side of the concrete bridge.
North of town is the Unicoi state park. Hike to Anna Ruby Falls and eat at the lodge for their dinner buffet.
North of town and west on 75a to the Richard B Russell parkway for a very scenic drive (no rv, just toad or tow vehicle).
The whole area is beautiful and worth exploring (download the map of the area, to a device). I have several years of experience with my Victory Motorcycle Club holding their SE Meet there for the last 13 or so years. I ride just to explore that area each time I go. Beautiful scenery everywhere.
The Smith House over in Dahlonega is different, down in the basement for family style eating.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #12

If you must go to Helen and get the T-shirt, most of the town charges to park. If you are traveling North thru Helen, just after you pass the downtown congestion, turn right onto White Stasse and you can park for free at the city park. It's about a block up the hill. I really hate paying to park.

Dahlonega is a much nicer town about 20 miles from Helen. Better shops, better restaurants and free parking. You can go down in an old gold mine that is actually under the Walmart parking lot.