Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Help finding site in oregon

Hi!

We bought a travel trailer, 29', a few weeks ago. We went to Mount Hood Village. Like it but $50 a night.

So I called Silver Falls State Park. They said they could get us in. Got here and found out for only one night!

Found a place near by I wouldnt let my dog stay in.

Anyway, are there ZERO public campgrounds to find an available spot to camp in Oregon on weekends???

I'm trying to find a place to camp within 100 miles of Gresham Oregon that doesn't break the bank.

We are newbies and dont know roads, and stuff. I wouldn't mind dry camping if I knew how to do it and our trailer would fit.

Called BLM in silverton and confused as ever.

Please, any advise would be helpful. I really don't want to go home tomorrow.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You'r pretty much out of luck for a drive up site.
The people in Oregon and Washington, with the kids out of school, get out every chance they get. Weekends are almost always full, even for places that never fill up.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well you could always make use of the free three day two night camping deals that the membership campgrounds offer you just have to put up with the one hour or so high pressure spiel. Or you can purchase a zone membership in Thousand Trails and according to their ad get unlimited camping for $499 a year. Now that summer has arrived in Oregon campsites will be hard to come by. At 29 feet you are pretty big to get into the forest camps so you really are limited.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've just spent 2 days looking at Oregon sites since we're unexpectedly heading that way. Alot is booked up, but there are spots at some of the State Parks during the week and there seem to be quite a few choices in the National Forest on the weekend (I was looking in the NW). I'm not familiar with your area, but I'd advise checking on both reserveamerica.com (has most of the state parks) and recreation.gov. (alot of forests are in here). You should be able to find a forest site at the minimum. No hookups in the forest, but you'll learn it in no time.

I also found a few county parks that have space. Check locally for your area.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just a quick adder-on for ya.

I did a quick search on recreation.gov for silverton, OR for campsites for this coming week-end. All reservation sites were booked, but there were at least 10 forest campgrounds with first-come-first-serve sites open for your size within a 50-mile radius of Silverton in the area. Take some time to weed thro' the listings and chose a couple of campgrounds with the highest number of first-come-first-serve sites and you'll have a good chance of a spot.

We've camped like this quite a few times in our 40-footer (in the forest) so you can definitely do it in your trailer. Just be ready to be flexible, try to get there as early as possible and have a few back-up campgrounds ready.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Thanks very much. I'll take your suggestions and look this stuff up.

I really appreciate this forum. You all are very kind.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracewriter View Post
Hi!

We bought a travel trailer, 29', a few weeks ago. We went to Mount Hood Village. Like it but $50 a night.

So I called Silver Falls State Park. They said they could get us in. Got here and found out for only one night!

Found a place near by I wouldnt let my dog stay in.

Anyway, are there ZERO public campgrounds to find an available spot to camp in Oregon on weekends???

I'm trying to find a place to camp within 100 miles of Gresham Oregon that doesn't break the bank.

We are newbies and dont know roads, and stuff. I wouldn't mind dry camping if I knew how to do it and our trailer would fit.

Called BLM in silverton and confused as ever.

Please, any advise would be helpful. I really don't want to go home tomorrow.

Thanks!
Try Silver Cove RV Resort, it's a commercial park on the road to Mt. St. Helens and very nice, the URL for their site is HERE. Takes us about an hour to get there. Their rates are pretty good but what is your idea of "breaking the bank", it may be different than ours!

A WA state campground is Seaquest, on the same road and just across from the lower St Helens Visitor Center. We've stayed there several times but with the 41'MH we have take one of the new sites in the upper level and no satellite reception which my wife demands for some reason.

Never mind, I reread the heading and see you're only looking in OR
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #8

Try this one near Astoria. Astoria Oregon RV Park, Lewis & Clark Golf and RV Park
Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Just today we pulled in to a beautiful pull thru site in Corbett, Oregon... above the Columbia River. With Passport America we're paying $15/night for two nights. Only 21 spaces but the owner told me they had to fire a manager who wasn't accepting reservations so their entire month of August was unbooked! It's Crown Point RV Park. Very close to many of the highlights in the gorge.

You have some of the best State Parks in the country so hang in there. We loved Cape Blanco on the coast but it's probably outside of your 100 mile radius... but I believe they are first come first served.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Wow! Thanks again!! All great suggestions. It's hard using this little iPhone to surf. What I'd give for my laptop right now!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Try Silver Cove RV Resort, it's a commercial park on the road to Mt. St. Helens and very nice, the URL for their site is HERE. Takes us about an hour to get there. Their rates are pretty good but what is your idea of "breaking the bank", it may be different than ours!

A WA state campground is Seaquest, on the same road and just across from the lower St Helens Visitor Center. We've stayed there several times but with the 41'MH we have take one of the new sites in the upper level and no satellite reception which my wife demands for some reason.

Never mind, I reread the heading and see you're only looking in OR
Washington would be good too. Breaking the bank is $50 a night.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #12

Another dumb question.

I don't know if I should start another thread for this.

When I'm searching those sites should I search for RV sites since I'm 29' and about 31' from tail to hitch plus the truck, or should I search for trailer sites.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #13

Another thing that is frustrating is we moved to Oregon about a year ago from Miami, bought a TT a few weeks ago so we don't know the names of towns, parks, territories, etc.

This is like running through molasses. Very frustrating! Our home borders Washington state which just adds to the Confusion.

I'm lucky if I can find my way home most days and still take the wrong turns to get there. Aaahhhhh!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #14

If Washington is OK one of the nicest we have been in is Charbenneau Park just outside Pasco, Wa. We stayed there for 3 days mid week in late June. Midweek $11 a day!!

Really nice sites with view of the lake (Snake River) marina, nice clean restrooms

Charbonneau Park and Campground near Pasco Washington on the Snake River

pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote