Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Help in finding a "base camp" location....

My DW and I live in central Florida. She says with the high diesel prices, we should travel in our DP and find a centrally located base to stay for most of the summer, and we could take short trips from there. I want a place that is cooler than 90 everyday, and fairly close to a military base. (maybe north of Texas or Tennessee).
She says that in the fall, maybe we could just leave our DP there and drive home in her Vibe, until the next year. That way we could save on diesel fuel costs. I think my wife has a good idea, but I'm not sure of where the "base" could be. Or, maybe we would drive it south a ways in October to a warmer winter location, but not all the way home. But where?
Does anyone have any ideas? We would love to hear your thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
north east florida has numerous bases
north west florida has pensacola and eglin afb

we are in north east texas, which puts us 1.5 hrs to barkdale AFB or 1.5 over to carswell afb

it does get hot here and if i had to do a home base all over again i would have stayed in north west florida, south bama
miss the sea breezes very much

however we are central enough to take 2-3 hrs runs to very nice places,
which based on this years fuel jump already, will be the norm for this season
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pogo,
I have no idea about the military base locations. However, for the rest of your needs consider:
1. North West corner of Michigan's LP. Empire, Traverse City, Petosky are three of my favorite places. Here the latitude is high enough for a very nice summer. Let me know if you want resort recommendations.

2 Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Here there is plenty to do. Right next to the Great Smoky Mountain NP. About 1K feet in elevation. Let me know if you'd like resort recommendations.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends on your idea of centrally located, not sure of temp averages but if your looking to stay east then Ft.Knox, Ft Campbell keeps you central on that side of the good ole USA. If you are looking to come more "central" then you Ft. Riley, Ks. But it can get hot, hot, not 120 like Texas but 105-110.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...military_bases
Or check the MWR website.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote