Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Help me plan?

We are going to attend the IRV2 rally this September and are taking a couple weeks vacation first week rally the next week heading back to Wisconsin, Any places we should stop and spend some time visiting on our way home?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy.

rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #3

Yes it will any interesting areas have you been to that you would recommend us to stop and see?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Where's the rally and then maybe we could give you some ideas?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Where's the rally and then maybe we could give you some ideas?
2014 National Rally - September 14 - 20, 2014 - Myrtle Beach
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have done that route years ago. I always try to avoid Washington DC at all costs. Anyway.......

We loved Cape Hatteras, NC, You can take a ferry or just drive down the Island. Really nice.

Go north through Norfolk. Some really nice places to see there. Fortress Monroe, Williamsburg, Yorktown, ect. Very nice battle field tours.

I do believe it is Hwy 17 that runs from Norfolk up west of DC. Nice drive. Then we stayed at the Harpers Ferry Campground. It's on an actual battlefield from the Civil War. From there you can make day trips to Manassas and several other battle grounds in the area.

If you want to see DC take a day trip from Harper's Ferry. Probably an hour and a halfs drive. Best to drive into Fairfax and take the subway. Don't get caught there at rush hour.

Take Hwy 15 north to Gettysburg. A must see. You can spend at least a day or two there.

Lots of good camp grounds in the area.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fountain42,
This all depends on what route one takes.
1. Across Pennsylvania there is Gettysburg, Lancaster area (Amish), Valley Forge, historic Philadelphia, DC (stay at Cherry Hill In Maryland).
2. In West Va. there is a mining tour near Beckley, in eastern Tennessee is Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and The Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Then in NC there is the Biltmore mansion near Ashville.

Hope this helps.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Thank you this all helps with the rally in Sept. We will research all these suggestions. I wanted to see Virginia.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

Don't forget to stop at the Fin and Feather to have a cold one and a bite to eat.
Just kidding. Maybe make it as far as Oshkosh before lunch. Me bad.
ok, I admit, I have cabin fever. Living right down the road from you watching the snow blow and the temps drop to -20 plus tonight.
Looking forward to rv season.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Don't forget to stop at the Fin and Feather to have a cold one and a bite to eat.
Just kidding. Maybe make it as far as Oshkosh before lunch. Me bad.
ok, I admit, I have cabin fever. Living right down the road from you watching the snow blow and the temps drop to -20 plus tonight.
Looking forward to rv season.
Ed where are you at? We are chomping at the bit to get our motorhome out also this winter has been harsh.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

We are in janesville, Wi. We have been to M.Beach many times. Here are some suggestions: I39 to I74 to I57, to Gun Club COE, at Rend lake. Then I24 to "land between the lakes. C O E at Grand River, park and take wild life loop. Then I 40 East from Nashville. I75, to Ashville, I26 and on to Myrtle Beach. On the return, stop at Cumberland falls, Then in Lexington, at the horse park. Really nice campground, and a lot to see. Always leave room for adjustments, in case you see something interesting. Be flexible, and enjoy the trip. Don't rush, take your time. Have FUN...
Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi Gary,

It does kinda depend on what route you're taking. Based on past routes of ours:

If you use I-65 you'll be in that east quadrant of TN so you'd want to stop in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Take in SMNP & all there is to see & do in the Gatlinburg area. We've had 2 iRV2 Nat'l rallies in Sevierville @River Plantation. Don & I have been to both & would highly recommend both the CG & the area.

If you're a fine bourbon drinker, you can stop anywhere in the Lexington/Louisville KY area & make a few stops on the bourbon trail & take in the horse park area. We stayed at Elkhorn CG & would recommend that.

If you use I-77, you'll go thru beautiful WV. New River Gorge area is a can't miss & Tamarack is a great place for picking up WV crafts. Recommended CG Camp Creek SP. Tamarak has overnight RV parking in a lot next to their building (top level, not down at the truck stop) - if you wanna boondock for a day or 2.

I've got several CG's in that WV/KY (or even OH if you want to stop here) in my photo albums (see link in sig). Those might give you ideas on other places to stop.

If I think of more, I'll let ya know.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

Greenville
Old 01-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Greenville
Wow we are neighbors? Ed that picture in your signature of the Newf. got one, had one or want one?