Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #15

The distillery is definitely on the list (yes I'm a JD fan). Didn't know about the aquarium. Need to find horse back riding. A few days of riding are something we enjoy. We did a train museum in Maine and had a great time. Riding a steam engine was on my bucket list...crossed that one off. And a biscuit challenge....we are biscuit lovers and are always looking for the better biscuit. Thx!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #16

My wife is from Kentucky. We are hitting mammoth cave this year. We also go to Pigeon fordge tn almost every year. ITs a tourist trap but weve been there enough to know what to avoid.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

I don't do caves anymore.....got into a little trouble getting out of one years ago...now the easiest way to avoid is just don't go in.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #18

I grew up in Eastern Kentucky. Nice State Parks are Carter Caves and Grayson Lake. Carter Caves has hiking trails. Enjoy your vacation.

Rick
Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PP was correct about decent RV parks near Louisville. The best, IMHO, is Charlestown State Park in Indiana, about 18 miles from downtown Louisville. FHU as well as elec only and about a 30 min drive. Closer than Shepherdsville KY. I agree that the Bourbon Trail is a must do as well as Bardstown (location of My Old Ky Home). Mammoth Cave is a great park even if you don't do the cave tours...at least go see the natural entrance. There is a nice little campground in Pigeon Forge called Up the Creek...great place and you can get into the Natl Park thru a "back door" and avoid all the crazy in Gatlinburg. Have fun.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the Shepherdsville RV parks because my family and DW's family live south of Louisville, so for us Shepherdsville is much closer.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #21

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm also looking at a few properties in KY....so I want to do a stop in Daniel Boone park then toward Lexington. I think now I need to map a route with stops and activities and see how long it will take. I joke with my DW maybe I'll have to quit my job and make the vacation last a couple of years.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #22

We will be camping at Cave run lake over 4th of July. Ive never ben there but the wife said is real nice. Then you got natural bridge. Its just up the road from my mother in laws place but Wife wont take me. Shes afraid of heights.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #23

Now if we can fast forward to warm weather and start vacation that would be great. I keep looking at the taxes in KY compared to NJ and think there must be a mistake. A month taxes in NJ covers a full year in KY. I like that idea.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #24

Try to fit Fall Creek Falls State Park near Pikeville, Tenn in your plans. They have a real nice campground and is a beautiful place with lots to do.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #25

Thanks jim. Pikeville seems just southwest of Daniel Boone state Forrest so definitely possible for this trip. I appreciate the tip and will look up them up.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #26

Fall Creek falls is very nice it has a small lake you can go out on, and hiking trails.
Anchor Down in Dandridge Tn. is on Douglas lake and close to Pigeon Forge if you like crowds. Cades Cove is a 2 hour drive and has lots of hiking trails and wildlife.
There is several CG in Pigeon Forge as well.
Don't forget to go to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a day ride.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We stayed at Grandma's Rv Park (2013), stayed at Louisville South KOA (2014). Both EZ on/off I-65, rates were much better at Grandma's and had most sites were level (Lvill So KOA hilly terrain, and recent owner change they have tried to "level" more sites.). Both can easily accomodate 45' class A towing, both have pull-through sites, both park utilities worked well. We would stay again at either one.

In 2014 we stayed at Nashville KOA (Music Valley Drive), also easy on/off I-65, lovely new patio (large) sites both back-in and pull-through and can accomodate big rigs easily. Lots of amenities at this park, places to eat, large shopping mall with Bass Pro Shop, and of course...Grand Ole Opry all very close by KOA. We will definitely stay again, but will try to avoid acorn season in the fall (lovely tall oak trees and late fall acorns rain down from above . )

X2 on Louisville Slugger Museum, worth a visit, and we strolled to the riverfront a block or two away after touring the Slugger Museum. Check out TripAdvisor . Com for all the Lville area places to see and things to do.

X2 on Bardstown, KY.

When in Nashville area, if you are interested in historical/civil war sites, take I-65 South about 30 min from the Nashville KOA on Music Valley Dr to Franklin, TN. Downtown Franklin has many shops, boutiques etc. Civil war era plantation, Carnton Plantation, as well as Carter House and Lotz House are in Franklin,TN. Battle of Franklin directly tied to all three of these civil war homes.

Kentucky Horse Park is on our 2015 list so cannot add anything, except "me too soon "

Safe travels to all
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #28

Natchez Trace

If you want to do a bit of hiking, the Natchez Trace is just west of Nashville and would be near Jackson, the Shiloh Battlefield and a famous restaurant I can't think of right now on Tn 100. Bob T

Tags
cat