Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #1

San Francisco area...

This is a cry for help / tips for a small part of my big summer trip. The main trip thread is at this link:

Help w/ my big summer trip--TX to CA

I think we'll spend two nights in the Monterey Bay area and the rest of the time near SF or San Jose. Suggestions??

Your help / insight will be greatly appreciated!

[This message was edited by smartin737 on Wed June 04 2003 at 06:11 PM.]

------------------------------------
smartin737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #2

San Francisco area...

This is a cry for help / tips for a small part of my big summer trip. The main trip thread is at this link:

Help w/ my big summer trip--TX to CA

I think we'll spend two nights in the Monterey Bay area and the rest of the time near SF or San Jose. Suggestions??

Your help / insight will be greatly appreciated!

[This message was edited by smartin737 on Wed June 04 2003 at 06:11 PM.]

Old 05-27-2003, 09:04 PM   #3

There are not a lot of campgrounds in either San Jose or SF and the 2 cities are 45 miles (1 hr travel time) apart. Here are a couple suggestions:
Trailer Villa, Redwood City, (650) 366-7880. 120 spaces right along side Hwy 101. Good Sam rating (2002) 6/8/4. Located about midway between SJ & SF on the west side of SF Bay.

Saratoga Springs: Saratoga, CA, (480) 867-9999, 25 spaces, located in the foothills outside of town. Good Sam rating (2002) 7/7/8. About a 20 drive to SJ, 1 hr.+ to SF.

Pelican Point RV Park: Half Moon Bay, CA (650) 726-9100. 75 spaces, 30 paved, near the ocean. Good Sam rating (2002) 7.5/8.5/8. About an hour to SJ & SF as you are on the west side of the mountain range.

Candlestick RV Park, SF, CA (800) 888-2267. 166 paved. Across the road from Candlestick Park Stadium (Home of the 49ers). Good Sam rating (2002) 8/10/7. Within 20 minutes of downtown SF, 40 minutes to SJ. On SF Bay. Has reputation for being VERY windy at times. Close to SF airport, but not in the flight pattern.

The closer you are to SF & the Bay during the summertime, the more chance there is for cool wind and fog.

I hope this helps... whatever you do, I hope you enjoy our beautiful state.

Paul <>< Lake Almanor, CA
2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
2000 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab 5.4L V-8, 3.73 HD
Traveled 14,600 miles in 2002
Moved to mountain retirement home in 2001.

Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:48 AM   #4

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to recommend a few sites. I travel a lot with my job, and I'm excited to show my family just how beautiful CA can be. I often say it's the most beautiful place I hope to never have to live .

I'll put up my new guy shield and ask... what are the three categories in the Good Sam rating?

Thanks again.

Steve
New part-timer in Austin
Great Wife plus Tyler & Kaitlin (born Mar 97)
'97 Keystone Sprinter 315 TT
2003 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab LS
6.0 V8
4.10 ltd slip rear axle
Jordan 2020 Brake Controller

Old 05-28-2003, 04:10 PM   #5

In the SF area, try the KOA in Petaluma. It's only 30 min or so from the Golden Gate and a great jumping off place for the wine country, etc. A nice place last time we stayed there. It's on a farmette in the country and has nice sites.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #6

eBob,
I'll keep Petaluma in mind. Looks to be about 15 miles inland and 8 miles from the bay. Is that inland enough to warm up a bit in late July?

I'm now leaning towards going inland more to the Sacramento River Delta area. There's a waterfront camping resort set up on an island there called Snug Harbor. Was California Travel Parks Assn. Best Small Park Award winner in 2001. It's near Rio Vista off Hwy 12 E of Fairfield. Not nearly as close in, but we've given ourselves 6 days in the Bay Area, I'll leave the family behind for 3 or 4 days for a business trip. I'm worried our kids might get antsy in a cold or foggy "grown-up" park. Looks to me like about an hour plus traffic to Golden Gate Bridge, 45 minutes to Napa, and 45 min to Sacramento. That should keep 'em busy .

Anyone feel compelled to share thoughts on the California Delta experience?

Steve
New part-timer in Austin
6.0 V8
4.10 ltd slip rear axle

Old 05-28-2003, 09:14 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smartin737:
I'll put up my new guy shield and ask... what are the three categories in the Good Sam rating?

Thanks again.

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve,
GS rates all campgrounds with the numbers, the first number rates the park, the second number rates the restrooms and the third number rates how scenic it is. 10 is the highest rating.

We used to live just south of Petaluma, in Novato. It will get into the high 90's, posssible low 100's in the summer. The KOA is at the very north end of Petaluma, and depending on traffic and day of the week it will take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours on 101 to get to the Golden Gate Bridge. There are no 'alternate routes' in Marin County. Since you wanted to see SJ, I didn't recommend any north bay sites. There is a nice, refurbished RV park in Novato, also (Novato RV, I think) at the Atherton/San Marin offramp. That puts you about 30 miles closer to SF than Petaluma. Neither north bay site has access to the bay for water play, unless you have a boat... there are launching ramps nearby.

Rio Vista is on Hwy 12 in the central delta between Stockton and Fairfield. To get into SF, you have to take Hwy 12 to Hwy 80 then south or Hwy 4 through Martinez to Hwy 80. On a non-work day either route will take up to 1.5 hours to drive into the city (longer M-F), and you'll be crossing the Bay Bridge from Oakland to get to SF. The central delta will offer more water activities for the kids, and it will be hotter than being on the Peninsula or in the north bay. Your estimates to Napa and Sacto are pretty close.

We hope you have a wonderful trip.

Paul <>< Lake Almanor, CA
2000 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab 5.4L V-8, 3.73 HD
Traveled 14,600 miles in 2002
Moved to mountain retirement home in 2001.

Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 06:02 AM   #8

We have stayed at the KOA in Petaluma a couple of times. They have daily van tours of SF, don't remember the cost but they left the KOA around 7am and returned around 5pm
It was nice to let someone else worry about the driving and parking. They drop you off at all the tourist attractions and pick you up at predetermined times.

F550-Fontaine/US Gear/BD Ex. Brake/Torqloc/X Monitor/Air Ride Hitch/Taylor Wing/Jordan Ultima 2020
Teton Cheyenne 38'
Escapee #76453

Mustang convertable toad
Matt Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 06:29 AM   #9

Steve,
We live about a 15 minute drive from Snug Harbour. We have never camped there, but have visited others there from time to time. There are trees shading most campsites and it's right on the river with docks for the boats. In July expect tempetures from 85 to 105, but the 'delta breeze' usually keeps it a little cooler, and it does cool down into the 60's or 70's at night. Like Paul says, your estimates to Stockton and Sacramento are about right but optimistic about San Francisco. We figure about an hour to Frisco from our house unless it's between 5 and 9 on a weekday morning, then add 45 to 60 minutes on that. You can drive into Pittsburg and take B.A.R.T. (Bay Area Rapid Transit) if you just visit downtown and don't need a car. Plan on 2 hours to San Jose.
There is also Brannan Island State Park a little closer to Antioch, which has a swimming beach, but of course no full hookups. There is a lot of windsurfing between there and Rio Vista.
Enjoy your trip, Loren

'97 Bounder, 32',Chevy 454; ipd, Bilsteins, Air Lift, Banks
'97 Ford Explorer toad with K&N & Bilsteins.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 AM   #10

Thanks to all for the great input!

I've gone ahead and made reservations at the Brannan Island SRA. I think for my situation the available family activities and probable weather outweigh the long drive time to the bay itself (we'll likely only do once--maybe twice--anyway). The Snug Harbor resort was tempting, but it looks to be a little less accessable than the SRA. I think we'll try to have my wife's friends from SJose come to us for a visit. My only concern with Brannan Island is the possible lack of shade trees. The pictures I saw make it look like trees might be scarce. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks again for to everyone for the great information! I'll post an after action report sometime in late July!!

Now, anoter issue is the 2 nights I plan on spending just south of SFran in the Montery Bay area. The SPs near there are all booked up. One website I've found seemed to like the Betable RV resort, but it's way around the bay towards SJose, and is well inland to boot. Any recommendations???

Steve
New part-timer in Austin
6.0 V8
4.10 ltd slip rear axle

Old 05-29-2003, 07:04 PM   #11

Steve, finding locations to stay here on the Monterey Penisula can be tough. But here are a few choices:
Carmel by the river Rv park (831)624-9329, Located on the Carmel River 4 miles east of Carmel-by-the Sea.
Cypress Tree Inn of Monterey (831)372-7586,Small sites located at a motor Inn,but centrally located in Monterey.
Marina Dunes Rv Park (831)384-0285,located adjacent to Hwy 1 near the beach 8 miles north of Monterey, Very Large RV park. Hope this helps a bit for our area, you can e-mail us at:Coastalview@aol.com, if you would like info about these locations,or the Monterey area in general Have Fun
Old 06-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #12

smartin737

We've stayed at Marina Dunes and it is a nice park. It's a ways to the beach but very clean and accesable. It's also close to services.

I've read that the Cypress Tree RV spaces are pretty cramped but we haven't stayed there.

We have reservations at Moss Landing in June which is about seven miles north of Marina (14 miles from Monterey). I thought we would try it for a short trip. It looks close to the beach and isn't that much farther to Monterey. The road is good, though busy. If you want to check it out they have a web site that gives quite a lot of information. Just go to Trailer Life Campground Directory and search Moss Landing.

Scott and Kathy Crawford
Old 06-04-2003, 02:13 PM   #13

CoastalView & Sing4me,
Thanks for the input!! I'll definitely check the parks you named out. Haven't decided yet.

Steve
New part-timer in Austin
6.0 V8
4.10 ltd slip rear axle

Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 AM   #14

For Monterey, we booked at the Cypress Tree Inn in Monterey. We're only there for two nights, so the downtown-ish location makes the small, urban sites bearable.
Thanks again for all the help!

Steve
New part-timer in Austin
6.0 V8
4.10 ltd slip rear axle