Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Frankie how far is this KOA from Manhattan ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKK47:
Hey Frankie how far is this KOA from Manhattan ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About 1 1/2 hours tops.They have bus trips from campround and the train is nearby also.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #17

Look at Mahlon Dickerson Reservation in Morris County NJ. Its 15 minutes off I 80. I drove thru it a few months ago and it seemed clean and well maintained with hook ups. It is 15 minutes away from a train station into the city. Taking a train into Penn Central is part of the experience. What ever you do Do Not Drive into the city.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Newburgh KOA is clean, and probably your best bet as Frankie said. They run bus trips, and although they are pricey, people who are on this site seemed to like them. I know "Lonestar" could probably give you more deatils. I live about 5 miles from the campground so if you need any information let me know.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Another option for a campground in the NYC area is Spruce Run Resevoir near Exit 12 on Rt. 78 in NJ. No hookups but they do have a dump station and its only about $10 a night. Beautiful location with sites right on the water.

You can catch a bus into NYC about 1 mile from the campground. You can also drive a toad into the city from there (about 1hr 15 mins to the Lincoln Tunnel).
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you Frankie for the information.

Pete
Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #21

We have been staying here this week - believe it is the best bargain in the NYC area: Croton-on-Hudson- Park. Out of the city, easy access to everything, decent places to eat and good knowledgeable running the place. It's usually not hard to get a space with no reservation.
The train stop to Grand Central is about 1 1/2 miles from the RV parking. $30/night
Kent & Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Shanone, I would go with Mahlon-Dickinson also as it is a nice park. It is close to Rt 23 or Rt 15 and then you could get a bus into the city or take your car to the GW Bridge and put it in a parking lot($) and then take a bus across the bridge and then take the subway.
A friend of mine just went into the city and stayed at Liberty Park. It is close and there is a ferry right there that takes you into the city. I'm sure your dog wouldn't mind for 5 days as when you have to go you have to go. It is very close to city and the lights from the campground must be nice.
I was born and raised in NJ and there aren't a lot of CG's near the city. When I go back for a visit I stay at Mahlon Dickinson, however I know my way around the city enough to drive it plus I used to drive a charter bus there too.
Enjoy the city and be sure to stay of Parkways in NY state as rv's are not allowed.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
I really would like to see New York, but just can't imagine dealing with the traffic in a MH and towed. Maybe do a boat tour of the waterfront/river or whatever. No way this ole country boy could do a MH trip inside the city however.
LD, let us know how it turns out and take lots of photos
Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Doc,

You don't have to take RV or Toad into the city. From the campground at Liberty Park you take a ferry to New York and then either walk, take a tour bus, or taxi anywhere in NY. I would suggest taking a taxi to points of interest such as Empire State Bldg or Times Square,etc.

There also is a boat that goes from Battery Park to the Statue of Liberty and another boat that goes around the entire island of Manhattan. Before going to NY I would get a travel guide and check off what you want to see and there is a lot to see more than I suggested. Of course you might want to see Ground Zero too.

Depending on your preferrences you may want to see a Broadway show or take in the Lincoln Center or Metropolitan Opera.

Enjoy and have fun.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #25

I just spent 10 days at Mahlon Dickinson Reserve and found it a little out of the way but worth it. For $18 a night you are deep in the woods. It is a nature preserve and 15 miles away from I 80 wich is another 45 minutes ontpo NYC. They just shut off the water so you only have electric, a dump station and a heated and well maintained shower and bath facility. Oh did I mention that the deer are everywhere as are the turkey and the bears are unafraid of you. This Place is not what you expect to find in NJ
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Last November we stayed 4 nights at the Liberty Harbor RV Park. True it's looks like a parking lot, sites are small but when we stayed there lots of empty spots so we could park the toad next to the MH. It's not the nicest place but from there we could see statue of Liberty, Hudson River.
During the weekdays a ferry operates right there on site. Week ends you can walk 10 minutes to the train station which has a good service.
Since we only slept there we enjoyed the spot, close to NYC. I would go there again.
Cost were $60/day in Nov. 07.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #27

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks for all of the input everyone. We've decided that when we see NYC we are NOT going to take the MH. We are going to take a train trip and stay in Manhattan. I think they kids will love it and there is no better way to see that city that to actually stay there. I've done the trip twice with friends and we have a blast navigating the subway system and using cabs.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #28

That sounds like a good plan. You really must see Time Square at night and Central Park and the Museum on natural history during the day. Be prepared to spend a lot for a really small room.