Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #1

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We would like to take a 4-5 week road trip from Michigan to the Maine and down the Eastern coast. We will be towing our minivan. We'd love to spend 3 days touring Manhattan and showing all of the sites to the kids. I am having trouble finding a campground though. I was looking for a place about a half hour away from Manhattan where it was safe and somewhat quiet. I really don't want to drive downtown so I would like to be able to take the minivan and catch a train/subway back and forth to the city each day. Anyone know of anyplace like that ?? THANKS </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #2

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We would like to take a 4-5 week road trip from Michigan to the Maine and down the Eastern coast. We will be towing our minivan. We'd love to spend 3 days touring Manhattan and showing all of the sites to the kids. I am having trouble finding a campground though. I was looking for a place about a half hour away from Manhattan where it was safe and somewhat quiet. I really don't want to drive downtown so I would like to be able to take the minivan and catch a train/subway back and forth to the city each day. Anyone know of anyplace like that ?? THANKS </span>

Old 04-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've never been to Manhattan, but................

I did a campground search in my Microsoft Streets and Trips mapping software and it hit on:

Liberty Harbor RV Park
11 Marin Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 386-7500

You might want to check out their website, it says they're the closest RV Park to New York City.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've never been to Manhattan, but................

I did a campground search in my Microsoft Streets and Trips mapping software and it hit on:

Liberty Harbor RV Park
11 Marin Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 386-7500

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">That is PERFECT !! Thanks so much....I don't know why I couldn't find this place when I searched ?? </span>

Old 04-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #5

See, moderators are useful!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to some reviews of that campground that I found.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Also found a few posts if you do a search using keyword "Liberty Harbor RV Park" (uncheck the box). Hope this helps. Have fun on the trip.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Doesn't sound too nice, does it? But what the hey, if they want to tour Manhattan and park the MH, maybe this is the place to do it at.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Since it seems convenience vs 5 star camping is the issue maybe in addition to a Woodalls type rating a reference from the local PD may help in the decision.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #10

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">While the location of Liberty Harbor sounds really great...not sure about staying in a basically a parking lot for 4-5 nights. We are going to have our dog with us so grass would be a good thing !! Anyone know of another alternative nearby ??</span>

Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #11

Here ya go.Been here a few times and while its not a resort,its close enough to the city.My buddy runs an rv repair business close by.http://www.newburghkoa.com/

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Frankie, is right on with this recommendation...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here ya go.Been here a few times and while its not a resort,its close enough to the city.My buddy runs an rv repair business close by.http://www.newburghkoa.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks Frankie...I saved this one too. I guess I will have to decide which is more important, closeness to the city, or a nicer campground when we come back at night. My parents are traveling with us and are going to stay in a Manhattan hotel during this leg of the trip.</span>

Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Chad what campground did you stayed at?
I am also looking in that area, but have your same concerns.

Thanks, Pete