Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
help with trip around Lake Michigan

Need some suggestions for our end of summer trip.
The plan is to go around Lake Michigan; our first stop is Starved Rock State Park, Illinois. Then to Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin (house on the rocks) after that off to Munising, Petoskey and then finish at Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.
I need some suggestions on places in Wisconsin that we can visit on our way to Munising.
We like to hike with the dogs and bike. Enjoy waterfalls and nature “stuff”

SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
As long as you are going that way....
From Devil's Lake, you have to stop at the Circus Museum in Baraboo. We have been there twice.
We have also been to House on the Rock and decided that the artists were very impressed by themselves. None of collected pieces were labeled. We haven't been back, (once was enough).
The EAA Museum at Oshkosh might be out of your way.
If you have not been to the Maritime Museum at Manitwoc, this is your chance.
You should stop at the Pestigo Fire Museum. Never heard of it? It was the same time as the Chicago Fire, but the telegraph lines burned down and nobody heard about it for a week. Roughly 1200 people are thought to have died, but nobody actually knows. 1800 square miles burned and It was so hot it jump Green Bay to the Door Paninsula.
Speaking of Green Bay. The National Railroad Museum there is worth the stop.
Up by Marquette is the Michigan Iron Museum. It is a good stop. Don't believe the address, look for the signs on Rt41.
Leaving Marquette on Rt 28 headed for Munising is a place called Lakenenland. A mad sculptor has been at work for a while. That gets you to Munising and Munising Falls are not a long hike, but the dog can go both there and the Upper and Lower Tahquaninan Falls. It is a good hike between the falls and if one way is all you want, you and the dog can ride back to where you started in the van that makes the run for just that purpose. (You do have to pay for the ride.) Our dog was dragging by the time we got to the lower.
The pictured rocks are best seen from a boat and they are not that expensive.
As long as you are going to Tahquaninan, you should go up to the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point. Parts of that I didn't go into because I lost friends on the Fitz and it still hurts.
If you are going by the locks, go to Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positionsand see when ships are coming through. There is a peanut gallery where you can watch them lock though. There is also the Museum Ship Valley Camp and a nice camp ground called the Soo Locks Campground. They have nice showers and coffee in the morning. The River of History Museum is closed on Sunday.
Once you get south of the bridge, you are in wine country. Tasting rooms are everywhere. Remember you are driving.....
The Leelanau has some amazing cellars.
Now, on your way out of Traverse City, aim for Glen Arbor, but when you get there continue on to Glen Haven. The Cannery Boat Museum is there, but that is not what you want. What you want is to go up to the trailhead and do the loop that takes you through the Ghost Forest.
I don't how your coach will handle it, but the Pierce Stocking Scenic drive is well worth the time. From here south, you can go hiking in the dunes all the way to Frankfort. Then if you go inland to the Pere Marquette State Forest, there is more.
A little farther south is the Nordhouse Dunes NF, we have never had time to stop there.
If you get to Grand Haven in the evening - any evening - stop by to see the fountains play. It is a pretty good show and they only ask a donation.
Well I've about gotten you around the lake and back to civilization.
So, I will quit here and someone else fill things in.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for the info Matt, will share with the DW tonight.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner

have to agree with Matt live in Michigan 503 yrs and could not add much more.Michigan is agreat state there is alot to see
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Great information Matt. You must work for the state of Michigan. I plan to keep your info. Thanks. Probably be traveling Michigan next summer. Not sure about the next post who is 503 yr old. Lol
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
I have vacationed in the UP of Michigan for years and lived in Traverse City. Lakenenland is a must stop.
Just before you get to Au Train, there is a restaurant called The Brownstone Inn. I would recommend stopping here for some awesome burgundy mushroom soup and a sandwich!
Are you staying at the park in Munising? The pictured rocks boat tour is a must do if you enjoy scenery. You cannot appreciate the rocks as well from the shore. Lots of hiking and waterfalls to be seen in the area also.
There is a gas station/smoked jerky store in Brevort just a little way before the bridge. Gustavson's. has the best jerky and smoked fish! Different varieties-beef, pork, buffalo and different flavors.
If you stop in Mackinaw City on your way into the lower peninsula, stop at the Kandy Korner and get some of the best caramel corn you have ever tasted. (I just realized I sound like all we do up there is eat!)

What time are you going? We are planning a trip the first part of October. Going to Manistique and then up to McLain State Park and the Keewenaw Peninsula then back to Munising and home. Perhaps we will cross paths.
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Kdjay- we are on the trip as I write. spending a few nights at Devil's Lake SP then off to the Horicon Marsh. after that it is up to Munising for 3 nights and some "pastys". we were there 2 years ago and the waves were so rough they closed the tour boats, we are hoping to have time to go on a tour. that area is very nice, we enjoyed all the water falls.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Enjoy your trip!

Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote