Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Henderson State Park rv campground, Destin Florida

My wife and I visited Camp Gulf rv park in Destin yesterday, we drove through Henderson state park rv campground today. It cost $6 for 3 of us in one vehicle to enter the park, and the lady at the ranger station gave us a 'tourist' pass for the campground, since we weren't camping there. It said we had 15 minutes to view the campground, and we couldn't get out of our vehicle.
The rv park was completely different from Camp Gulf, a commercial rv park on the beach. While some of the spots at CG were right on the beach, and you could see the water from some of the other campsites, there was no privacy. (That is normal in rv parks like these). The sites were very narrow and your view in most spots is the side of your neighbor's rv. I'm not complaining about it, that's just the way it is.
At Henderson park rv campground, it is VERY private. Each spot is located a fair distance from your neighbor, and most spots have lush vegetation and shade on 3 sides. It looked like your own private resort, although the thick vegetation kept you from seeing other rv's, you couldn't see anything else either. Privacy. Quiet. Inexpensive. The daily rate right now is $30 plus tax. You aren't right on the beach, but you can take a hike to it.
I am not saying either campsight is better than the other, just that they are different. And that is good.
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

Drive about 10 miles east and checkout Top Sail Preserve in Santa Rosa on 30A. We love both Henderson and Top Sail SP.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

Nice area, just played The Links course 2 weeks ago. I was the only one swimming in the gulf! Wish we could camp there but it's a little far from Manitoba.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #4

Loved Topsail. We're going back again this summer. We do need to check out some of the other parks in the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
Drive about 10 miles east and checkout Top Sail Preserve in Santa Rosa on 30A. We love both Henderson and Top Sail SP.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

We drove past Top Sail the other day but didn't get to stop.
And there was someone swimming in the gulf today...crazy!
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #6

We go to Henderson Sp every year in Aug./Sept.
Usually the week before or the week after Labor Day.

With public school back in session, we've got the whole town to ourselves pretty much.
You must book your spot way, way in advance. I book mine as soon as the reservation window opens (I think they have a 9-10 mo. window).

We did the Camp Gulf thing on our first trip to Destin. Hated it.
The noisy, crowded, party atmosphere just wasn't our style.
Just like you we drove through Henderson and knew we had found THE place.

I've heard that Top Sail is great too but we never have gone over there to see it.
...maybe next time.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 AM   #7

Topsail, is #1 state park for many years in Fl. What a great asset!! Nice it is 14 miles from my home! It has it all!

Tags
campground, florida