Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hickory Run State park PA

My wife and I had made reservations for this park during the Labor Day 2012 weekend. Yesterday we drove out to walk through the park and soon found that the site we reserved was not at all to our liking as we had booked it sight unseen. However, we did find the park itself to be very much to our liking. We quickly switched our reservations for the week to Promised land State park which we drove through the weekend prior.

Having a dog, we are limited to the pet loop which is fine since we know we'll be surrounded by like minded people.

The issue is the length of our motor home and what they allow you to book into the site. We noted six sites that would have no issues at all with the size of out motor home as well as the roads in and out of the park. They only allow 20 foot "trailers" on that site which has 50 amp service. With the enormous lengths of the sites there I can only assume that they consider the length of the tow vehicle to be added on to the overall length of the 20 foot trailer. The pad length is stated to be 36 feet to the wheel stop.

So I changed the length of my motor home to a "20 Foot Trailer" to allow the site to accept my reservation. I know this isn't the right way to do it but clearly there is more than enough room for our 37 foot motor home. I only reserved it for a Friday night through Sunday reservation in case they decide to not let me stay there

My question is: With the length of the pads at these sites, do you think my assumption is correct in that they restrict the length based on the trailer plus the length of the tow vehicle?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I always use 15' or 20' when reserving my PA. State Park sites. I keep a list of good sites at SP's for future stays. When camping at one SP, I'll take a drive to another park and scope site out for future trips. I also find sites in PA. parks that could easily hold a 35' MH are listed as 20' or 25'. It must be non-camper making out the site description for the websites.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I always use 15' or 20' when reserving my PA. State Park sites. I keep a list of good sites at SP's for future stays. When camping at one SP, I'll take a drive to another park and scope site out for future trips. I also find sites in PA. parks that could easily hold a 35' MH are listed as 20' or 25'. It must be non-camper making out the site description for the websites.
So you're saying that you are not refused entry into a 20ft site when you show up in your 35ft motor home?
That makes me feel a little better if that's true.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think "they" care what size rig you have....As long as YOU can park it.
My old 5ver was a bear in some of their spots; but I always reported the approx. length I was driving.
You shouldn't have any issues.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
I don't think "they" care what size rig you have....As long as YOU can park it.
My old 5ver was a bear in some of their spots; but I always reported the approx. length I was driving.
You shouldn't have any issues.
If you reported longer than 30 feet then they wouldn't show any site as available that was listed as 30 foot.

I'm looking at the pet loop, sites 168 through 220, do you have any particular experience there?

Having walked through there yesterday, there is no reason why we wouldn't fit through their access roads or into most sites. We did pay attention to the depth and width for the one slide we have and the awning and came up with a list of 6 ideal spots.

I guess my fear is showing up and being turned away. I have put my MH into some really tight places and have total confidence that I'll fit into the spots I've found with ease.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #6

Don,

We stopped at Promised Land SP for a night on our way north last year. Our site 409 in the Beechwood CG had an equipment length of 35', we could have easily put a 40' in it. There were two gravel (pet sites?) pull thru's across from us that were a good 80+' or so. But, the nice thing to know is that the ranger was really good about us moving to if the site was not big enough. There are several CG's at Promised Land, they only thing that might be an issue (not at Beechwood) is if there are any bridges with weight restrictions or clearance issues. I'm sure you can clear that up with a call to them. As mentioned, they were super nice when we showed up with no reservation.

Bob

RV Park Reviews :: Greentown, Pennsylvania ( PA ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Bob,

I have a pull through up there that is rated for the size motor home we have.

My question is about Hickory Run specifically because we are longer than their web site says will fit but in reality, it will fit with plenty of room to spare.

Thanks for your input Bob.

Don
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
So you're saying that you are not refused entry into a 20ft site when you show up in your 35ft motor home?
That makes me feel a little better if that's true.
Correct, If I'm making a phone reservation, and the girl asks what size RV I have, I say 25', she will say O that site is for 15'. I'll says that I know the site and have been on it before. She is then fine with that....

My sister in-law was trying to make a reservation for a 38' 5er. So she plugged in 40' site at a PA. park and it said no sites were available. Since she was never at this park before I told her to plug in 20' and trust me about that site could hold a 60' trailer if need be.

I keep a database with pictures of sites at many State Parks in OH, PA and VT. Such as This One I happened to have posted. I'll take a picture of the site post with it's site #, then I'll take a picture of the site. When I get home I'll put it in a file in my computer for future reference.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I called the park reservation number today to tell them what I was trying to do. They told me to just call the park office and speak with a ranger that knows the park and see what they say.

I called and explained my situation and just as you said, he told me that as long as I felt like I could fit then they don't have an issue with it. He went on to tell me to select the 20 foot trailer option so that the system would allow me to book on line.

So now I'm registered there for the Labor day week as well as a weekend in early June.

Thank you for your insight, it's greatly appreciated.

Don
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Great....Some State Park systems and National Parks are providing pictures of each campsite when making a on-line reservation. Case in point....We have never been to the Smoky's and wanted to stay 9-10 days inside the park. The one CG.(Elkmont) had 3-5 pictures of every site. So with that I made a reservation I know will be fine.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We noticed that through the Reserve America site. We chose a site in the 7 Points State park in PA for our Memorial Day week using that and the selection was pretty easy.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #12

Heading to Hickory Run SP for the Memorial Day weekend 2012 have a 20ft site reserved/ pet site 223 &have a 23ft MH.. Sites for a truck & trailer so MH will easily fit. Can't wait to go
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've visited the park twice this winter in the car to walk the property and to look for the trail heads. I'm excited to camp there as well. Have a great time!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #14

Well we just got back from hickory run we had a good time despite having the worst site in the park no side space fire pit and picnic table behind the rv made for some interesting food carrying park is very nice great sights we will go back for labor day now we know what sites to pick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3151508248.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	660.8 KB
ID:	21685   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3289781688.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	665.7 KB
ID:	21686