Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
We recently spent a week in New Mexico. I was amazed at the altitude in the Angel Fire and Red River areas 8600'+. There is a very nice RV Resort, Angel Fire RV. Also some good NF campgrounds near Red River that will accommodate your rig.

Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
We work camped at Vallecito Resort in 2014, which is located about 22 miles northeast of Durango...at 8000' elevation. The reservoir is stocked with fish...including walleye. Full hookups available. Black bears do come into the resort. You will be at the southern edge of a very large, spectacular wilderness area, if you feel like hiking. We left after 7 weeks because the DW never could adjust to the altitude, being Florida flatlanders.

Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #17

Drink a lot of Gatoraid. I had trouble getting my Aqua Hot to fire while in Breakenridge, left there & went to the Agua Hot factory in Colorado & after spending several days calling the Technical Advisor at Aqua Hot ( it was 10 Degree F) with absolutely no help, I pulled into the factory & a young man said "you where at 12,000 ft you needed to open the air intake a 1/2 " .
I tried to find Don the service tech but they called the police & my wife talked me into leaving.
I was still in my Monaco Windser when this all happened.
2014 Essex, 2015 Ram 1500, 2008 Harley Road King
2 Dogs
jtovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Wow ... I had no idea of this altitude sickness. I'm currently planning on a 4 month trip next spring/summer/fall out west and most of the places are pretty high elevation. Now I'm rethinking this .... both my DH and myself are "flat landers" - have never really been west of the Mississippi for any length of time. Have never been to the mountains .... wondering if I really should keep making reservations ..... I'd hate to plan all this and feel miserable the whole time. DH does have sleep apnea and asthma......
Lynn & Dan Hochradel, & fur kid Carl
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B, Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Most folks are not bothered by the altitude. But it is something you should be aware of and watch for the symptoms. If you start having the symptoms, get to a doctor. My wife gets it and our doctor gave her something to take while we're traveling at high elevations.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #20
Debbie, don't cancel your trip. A small section of people get altitude sickness. Your chances are slim.

If you're taking 4 months of travel you will be climbing elevation gradually. This will let you get acclimated to the altitudes. Drink lots of water and try to take it easy a couple days when moving higher and you'll be good to go! Many thousands visit the western states and are not affected. Don't pass up the beauty of the west.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Just to add to the above a little. Just take things a little more slowly at first. Your lungs and heart have to work harder to circulate oxygen at those altitudes but they will "train" after a little bit. Alcohol and sleeping pills depress respiration so they should be avoided for the first few days till your body has had time to adjust. I live on the coast (sea level) but the only time I really have suffered from any of those effects have been at the highest of altitudes (Pikes Peak, Haleakula etc.) and places like that usually have signs posted thereabouts reminding you to take it easy. Read up on it, know the symptoms and the ways to avoid problems. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #22
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may find that furnaces, stoves and generators all need adjusting to run at higher elevations, some go wacky at 5,500' and up.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks y'all. Ok - back to trying to figure out the route and making reservations! That alone is a daunting task! I'm planning on a week at every stop and only about 300 miles between stops at the utmost.
Lynn & Dan Hochradel, & fur kid Carl
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B, Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #24
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks y'all. Ok - back to trying to figure out the route and making reservations! That alone is a daunting task! I'm planning on a week at every stop and only about 300 miles between stops at the utmost.
Schedule your stops so you are gaining altitude each day. This along with slowly increasing your water intake, as others have mentioned, will help you acclimate quicker. You don't have to drown yourself but keep well hydrated and the first day at higher altitudes just do a slow pace.

We go from 649' to about 8000' in two days. DFW to Raton NM (6800) and Raton to Buena Vista CO (7955). Thats about 530miles 1st day and 200 on the second day. We get set up in BV and sit in the afternoon and do non strenuous things the next day. By the 3rd day we were exploring 10,000 and up. So far we've had no problems but the first couple of days we knew we were higher than home. We're in our mid 60's and have been hitting the high country once or twice every year for at least 35 years.

FWIW: If you fly, most commercial aircraft are pressurized to around 8000 ft and maybe a little more at cruising altitude.......
H n F (USN '69-72)
2009 Newmar Baystar 3202
Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad for now)
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #25
We spent a couple months in Utah this summer. We are also from Fl, at about 6ft above sea level... depending on the tide. Bryce was about 9000 ft, and other places we visited were between 4000 and 8000. Really didn't have any issues other than the sleep number bed was like a rock until I drained it down. Got winded a bit hiking, but got over that.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #26
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've never had a problem with cooking...you just have to adjust a little.

Ridgeway State Park has hookups and you could do Silverton, Durango, Telluride, Cortez and Montrose for long day trips.
Silverton is the highest of those. You won't need your AC at those altitudes.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #27
We stayed in Buena Vista, Co in 2014. The altitude (8200') was bothering my wife (nausea, headaches, hard to sleep). A friend who worked on the rescue squad came by and used a pulse/ox meter to check her oxygen levels. She was running in the low 90's during normal activity (should have been 96 or above). We moved down 1500' (Mesa Verde) and she was fine at the lower altitude. In other words, you can stay low and visit high.

6 weeks on the road - Visiting Colorado
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 AM   #28
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is amazing what a difference a thousand feet can make.

2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote