Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #1

We are looking for RV parks, public or private, that are located on or near hiking/biking trails (not mountain bike). We prefer hiking trails that are 5-10 miles long and bike trails that are at least 10-25 miles long. We have ridden a few urban trails and enjoyed them.

We are planning a trip to New England and along the East Coast next fall with a possible trip to Arizona (Yuma area) for next winter. If we don't go to Arizona, we are considering the Corpus Christi, TX area for the winter. We do not need parks with planned activities. Any suggestions outside of these areas will be also be appreciated. We have been known to change our plans on a whim.

In 2003, we rode the Tammany Trace that goes through Mandeville, LA. Does anyone have information about how Hurricane Katrina affected that trail and Fontainebleau State Park?

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #2

We are looking for RV parks, public or private, that are located on or near hiking/biking trails (not mountain bike). We prefer hiking trails that are 5-10 miles long and bike trails that are at least 10-25 miles long. We have ridden a few urban trails and enjoyed them.

We are planning a trip to New England and along the East Coast next fall with a possible trip to Arizona (Yuma area) for next winter. If we don't go to Arizona, we are considering the Corpus Christi, TX area for the winter. We do not need parks with planned activities. Any suggestions outside of these areas will be also be appreciated. We have been known to change our plans on a whim.

In 2003, we rode the Tammany Trace that goes through Mandeville, LA. Does anyone have information about how Hurricane Katrina affected that trail and Fontainebleau State Park?

Thank you.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM   #3

Hi

You might want to take a look at Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Here is a link to the bike trails on the Cape http://www.massbike.org/bikeways/capecod.htm

Should you decide to come to Massachusetts, it is a shot hop by ferry to Martha's Vineyard (with bikes of course). I have been to Martha's Vineyard many times exploring by bicycle. Their public transportation allows you to put your bike on the front of the bus. There is also Nantucket, but I have only been there once, so I can't be of much help.

The National Seashore bike trails are through the dunes near the tip of the cape. Absolutely fantastic panorama views.

Should you decide that this is am area that you would like to visit, post again and I will suggest some other activities and possible campgrounds.

Hope this helps.
Paul
Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #4

Having biked a ton in New England, I can say that Paul is right, the Cape has a great trail ( stay off of rt. 6).

My favourite runs are not on trails, but on lightly traveled roads. Rt.3 from the border south in N.H. is a neat ride, routes 10 & 12 along the Connecticut River are good too. My favourite in N.H. is the Kangamagus Highway. It is best to go west to east, and there are primitive campgrounds at Lincoln, at the base of the climb.It is the Rt. 112 between Lincoln and Conway, about 35 miles long.

In Vt. forget Routes 5,7 & 9. One nice ride is from Jeffersonville to Stowe along the 108, Smuggler's Notch, which also gives you access to the LT (Long Trail). There are campgrounds south of Stowe, a mile or so, Gold's Campground if I remember right. While south of Stowe, might as well get to Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury. St. Johnsbury to Littleton, N.H. across the Moore Dam is a nice scenic ride, large shoulders.

I do not use bike trails too often, but if you make it to Madawaska, Me. right across the river in Edmondston, N.B. is an 85 mile bike trail which ends up at the St. Lawrence River in Rivière-du-Loup. Have done the whole thing both ways.

Have biked in Ct.and R.I. but the traffic is pretty high and the bike trails rather short, however they may have improved them since my time down there (1997).

Feel free to PM me....be glad to help if I can.

http://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote