Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #15

We've been to all the western national parks and also Alaska. There will always be bear warnings. You also cannot leave a BBQ grill outside overnight and no coolers outside.

However, we have never seen where it includes food in an RV. Those steel food boxes are meant for tenters who have to store food in their cars or heaven forbid, in their tent. If you're in an RV just keep everything put away inside, sealed up. Don't leave any food open so the smell escapes. Your refrigerator is safe.

We volunteered in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and a girl scout left a candy bar in her backpack and stored the backpack in her tent. The bear tore the tent and went after it and luckily the girl wasn't in her tent. This was during the day.

So yes, keep a very neat campsite and you won't have problems. The bears will go to the neighbor's messy site! Just use common sense and you'll have a great time.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #16

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more input from those that have actually been to this CG! I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip that would include Yosemite and thought this campground would work. I think we'll fit (35' + toad) but it's the getting there that is my concern.

There is a stretch of squiggly road right after Moccasin and squiggly usually means curves & switchbacks and that typically means mountains. How difficult is the drive from Moccasin to the CG?

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were coming from the west, so not sure which way you are going, but we were towing as well, and did just fine. Just don't try glacier peak, I think it is called. They don't allow towing up there.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
-Bears can get into anything not bear proof including some pretty solid cabins (I have seen). Your stove and even your clothes you may have prepared food with can be enough to attract them so if it were me in a hard-sided vehicle.....

I would make sure that all the food was well sealed, put in the fridge etc but other than that precaution, I wouldn't do too much else. Taking all your food stuffs offsite is unlikely to dissuade Yogi from coming and having a look because there will be enough other odors coming from your rig to entice him anyways. Their sense of smell is that damn good.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasOregon View Post
We were coming from the west, so not sure which way you are going, but we were towing as well, and did just fine. Just don't try glacier peak, I think it is called. They don't allow towing up there.
Thanks! We'd be coming in from the west too off of I-5. It's hard to tell by looking at a map or even a sat. pic how steep the grades are.

Did you stay at Hodgdon Meadow CG? What did you think of it? Are generators permited?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Thanks! We'd be coming in from the west too off of I-5. It's hard to tell by looking at a map or even a sat. pic how steep the grades are.

Did you stay at Hodgdon Meadow CG? What did you think of it? Are generators permited?
This is a great time to use Google Earth:

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
This is a great time to use Google Earth:
Waay COOL!! Looks like the climb is from about 1200' to 2500' in about 4.5 miles so that means the descent is about 1300' in about 4.5 miles.

Thanks for the link! Google Earth is now high on my list of trip planning tools.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generators are allowed, but only during certain hours. Make sure to ask. The spots are not level, and we a newbies, and had no way to do so. We made it work though.

Tags
campground