Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
M2D

Holiday Weekends

Hello, I am new to this particular forum. I have the opportunity to tag along with friends in their fifth wheel to attend a national dog event. I am so pleased as my husband and I have been researching fifth wheels and tow vehicles for a couple of years and are getting ready to buy.

We have CG reservations for the way out but have just realized that we are coming home on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. We will need single night campsites for Friday and Saturday nights. I have e-mailed two large campgrounds asking whether they might be able to accommodate us in spite of the three night holiday weekend minimum.

Have any of you had luck in these situations? Would you have any strategies to suggest? I have looked a bit on a boondocking site where people list their properties as places where people can stay.

Thanks,
M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If what you're looking for are places to just overnight while you're traveling you might not have much trouble but it depends where you are. 99% of the time we don't make reservations but holiday weekends are the exceptions. It would be a good idea to try to find places with vacancies while you still have some time.

Overnighting in a WalMart parking lot is always an option too. You guys could make a party of it.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

+1 on Walmart parking lots. There is a site dedicated to updating which ones do and do not allow it...can't find it.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
M2D

Holiday Weekends

So far I have heard from the first CG and they were able to book us in for the one night.

Fingers crossed that I hear from the next one and all will be well.
We are not opposed to boondocking. It would be good experience for me. My friends have done it before.

Thanks,
M2D
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

If you stay at a Walmart is not called boondocking....it's called Wallydocking. Okay, I've already had a few.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It has been our experience that all campgrounds require a three night stay on holiday weekends. You may want to post the areas you are interested in staying. Some members may be able to give you additional info. for that area.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
M2D

Oh, thank you! I would not want to seem ignorant of the customs!

M2D
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
M2D

The area where we still need a place to camp is Erie, PA. I have a request in to the KOA there. I checked the other campgrounds I found in Woodall's in that area and they all had holiday minimums as well.

All suggestions cheerfully accepted,

M2D
Old 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
M2D

Heard from the Erie KOA that they are not able to accommodate us. Will keep on working on it.

M2D
Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

We always try to be away from water of all kinds on the big weekends...pools, lakes, rivers. We'll find a basic place where weekenders tend not to make it their destination.

Is there a small town not far from your traveling route that you could make a slight detour for the weekend? Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a Pilot truck stop at I90 and 97 near Erie. They allow overnight parking. We're planning on overnighting at that one on our way up to Maine this summer. We've overnighted at several Pilots; they can be a little noisy with the trucks, but we have had no issues staying there.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #12
M2D

I woke up this morning thinking that we need to move inland from Lake Erie. It is just that my friends are Canadian and this route is more conducive for them.

I live outside of Boston, MA and so will travel a bit further to return home when we part ways.

I really appreciate all of the help and advice I have had here.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check allstays.com for overnite and wally docking info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
M2D

Thank you for the information about Allstays.com. I also found a boon docking site that helps you find places to stay. There is a small fee to join. A kind person in the area offered to let use their land to park for the night.