Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Hoping to visit Fidalgo Bay RV

Planning our summer vacations. Opinions on the resort and what to do in area!!
48beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

Resort is waterfront and seems to be oriented towards Class A DPs, since they are much the majority of vehicles seen there. We live about 7 miles away, so never used it. I think it's owned and operated by the Swinomish Native Tribe.

Sites seem close together when the place is viewed from the State highway that runs along the hillside to the south. It always looks very tidy and well-maintained. There's a popular walk/bike trail on the southern boundary that runs into downtown Anacortes.

Lots of things to do in the area, particularly if you have a toad. Ferry service to four of the San Juan islands and to Sidney BC (on Vancouver Island) is based at the west end of SR20 Spur. Anacortes is a nice small town with mainly smallish family-owned businesses. Whidbey Island is to the south, with a high bridge to access it (Deception Pass). Lots of interesting places on Whidbey. There's also a ferry run across to Mukilteo from the south end of Whidbey. That gets you to the Boeing plant tour, Paul Allen's historic airplane collection and the Seattle Museum of Flight Restoration Center.

It's a beautiful part of the world and we love it here. The climate doesn't suit everyone. Summer daytime highs rarely make 80F and it rains frequently any time of year. We wouldn't live anywhere else and have been here 16 years, since my retirement from Boeing.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

Ditto Frank. I have not visited the RV park. There are lots of campgrounds in t he are am both state and private.

On Whidbey, Visit Coupeville, Fort Casey (and many other state parks), the sea plane museum in Oak Harbor, and Ebey Reserve.

Beyond Whidbey is Port Townsend and the Olympic Peninsula.

As Frank says, it is a beautiful area with lots of forests, farm land and sea scapes. You may not want to leave.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

We stay at Fidalgo Bay each year on our way home (Victoria, BC) from the deserts. Passport America. Friendly. Nice washrooms. As mentioned above, Anacortes is interesting. Come check out Vancouver Island. Loonie ($CDN) is a bargain at less than .75.
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

Outstanding.. Thanks Frank and Coupe...planning on booking our stay today! Just the info I was hoping for.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

We stayed at Pioneer Trails in that area. Spaces were wider and the park has lots of trees. We didn't stay at Fidalgo Bay RV park, but from the highway it looks like a parking lot. It does have the advantage of being right on the water.

The ferry service to the San Juan islands is very reasonable and we would recommend going over to see them while there. Spend an afternoon in Friday Harbor, and Deception Pass is a must do, also drive to the lookout on mount Erie for some incredible views.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

Hoping to visit Fidalgo Bay RV

Thank you I'll check out their website !
Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

You don't mention a toad, but I expect you'll have one with a 40-foot MH. The Washington ferries are expensive if you're taking the RV on board.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

But the ferries are very reasonable if you walk on, and you can do that to visit Friday Harbor. Toads are by length. We thought it was worthwhile.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Volunteer on San Juan Island and the National Park Service will pay for your RV ferry passage. Been there, done that. Great gig.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
You don't mention a toad, but I expect you'll have one with a 40-foot MH. The Washington ferries are expensive if you're taking the RV on board.

Thanks for the info..yes we r 40 / toad.....we will take the ferries which is exciting...first time for us.. Do u golf? And info, course preferenc s?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #12

No, I'm not a golfer. There is a golf course alongside SR-20, a couple of miles east of the Fidalgo Bay RV park, run by the Swinomish tribe. Golfer friends say it's quite good. The tribe bought it a few years ago.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48beardog View Post
Thanks for the info..yes we r 40 / toad.....we will take the ferries which is exciting...first time for us.. Do u golf? And info, course preferenc s?
I don't golf but my wife does. One of her favorite courses is just south of Deception Pass State Park. I think it is a nine whole, very casual, kind of like pasture golf, but fun and cheap.

I suggest taking just the toad to Orcas to get the feel of the load/unload process. You can drive to the top of Mount Constitution, where there used to be a fire lookout. Moran State Park is large and nice. Visit the historic Rosario Resort too.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #14

We stayed there in August and found it to be a good location for a home base. You can see my comments about the place with photos here - Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Day 27 – Onward to Anacortes
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote