Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Hot Springs/Little Rock AR and Bowling Green KY

Will be spending Thankgiving in Bolling Green KY. So I was thinking about making it a week long vacation. I live near Austin TX so I was thinking aobut staying in Hot Springs area on the way up.

What are some nice RV parks in these 2 areas?

2004 F-350 CCLB 4X4 6.0
SOLD-2008 Keystone Copper Canyon FWBH SOLD-2008 F-250 CCSB 4X4 Auto 5.4
SOLD-2006 Dodge Mega CTD 3500 DRW 4X4 6sp SLT SOLD-2006 Dodge Quad CTD 2500 4X4
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Coming from the South, DO NOT use the 2-lane highway(AR 7) in an attempt to save mileage. Continue North on I 30 to US 70 (Grand Ave), used to be exit 111 from I 30. I made that mistake and had to endure bumper-to-bumper traffic through the city, only to find the RV park was on Grand Ave after all. We have stayed at Cloud Nine once, too far away, and a steep climb(I'd guess 20%) up the mountain to the park. Manager not friendly at all. Next time we stayed at J&J RV park, owner really nice guy. It's small and completely gravel. Probably the lowest cost park there, and convenient to everything. Across the highway is a KOA, never stayed there.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Mammoth Cave National Park has a great campground that is open year round. No hookups but quiet and close to the cave tours. Also has a dump station.

While in Bowling Green, do NOT miss the Corvette Museum and the factory tour.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
The KOA in Bowling Green is nice and full hookups. It also is just down the road from the New expanded Corvette Museum. You also might want to take in a factory tour of the Corvette Plant. You need to schedule a tour wich costs about $5 - 10 per person. Great tour.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have stayed at DeGray State Park (near Hot Springs) a couple of times. It's a great place to stay.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Corvette Advanced tickets for Factory Tour
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
While Hot Springs is a great place to visit it is not very RV friendly. Most of the RV parks are not very well maintained and lack amenities. We have stayed at Youngs Lakeshore RV Park, Lake Hamilton RV Resort and Cloud Nine. By Far Cloud Nine is the nicest. Not the closest to town (8 miles) but very clean and quiet and on top of hill (great views) with a pretty steep climb. Would not stay at Youngs again. Lake Hamilton is ok and does have a pool and WiFi. There are some great state parks but if you are only going to stay a day or two it may not be your best choice especially if you will be spending most of your time In Hot Springs.

Have not stayed in Bowling Green but did stay in Cave City which is about 20 miles NE of Bowling Green. Mammoth Cave has some great facilities. They have recently done a great deal of work which includes the campgrounds so you may want to check if they now have elec and sewer. We stayed at Cave City RV Park which is a new park with nice wide concrete pads and grasssites. We visited a friend at Singing Hills and it is also a very nice park.
Dawn and Mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
I live about 50 miles from Hot Springs - so I know nothing about the CG's (sad, I know).

If you end up on the east or north side of town, take 70 as mentioned (to avoid traffic and winding streets). If you end up on the west or south sides (Lake Hamilton, for instance), take 270 out of Malvern. And, as mentioned, AR7 is a great sightseeing road, and a fun drive . . . in a sports car - not an RV.
Norm & Janet

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hot Springs KOA is not a good choice; too expensive, too crowded and many sites not level. Staff likes to change things on you, like reservations! Cloud 9 is under new management and is nice. A bit of a drive to Hot Springs (8 miles) but not too bad. There is a short climb up the hill but the views are very nice.
MSgt USAF Retired
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C F-53
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
North of Little Rock, I highly recommend Maumelle Park Corps of Engineers campground. Sites are big, level, and paved with nice grass between most. Some sites have a view of the Arkansas River where you can watch the barges go by. They may be booked up for Thanksgiving, but you might be able to get on your way to Bowling Green before Thanksgiving.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
We've stayed at Lake Catherine state park just outside Hot Springs and would recommend it highly. It is a short drive into town and the park is right on the lake.
2008 40QRP Allegro Bus
2000 Jeep Wrangler
SlickTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by paz View Post
North of Little Rock, I highly recommend Maumelle Park Corps of Engineers campground. Sites are big, level, and paved with nice grass between most. Some sites have a view of the Arkansas River where you can watch the barges go by. They may be booked up for Thanksgiving, but you might be able to get on your way to Bowling Green before Thanksgiving.
We've stayed at the one west of town. Nice park, and it's the first one I've ever been in that says you can drain your gray water on the ground next to your site. Not the black. We had a spot on the river, and watched the barges go by. Also watched a family of geese go by our site every afternoon. Geese!

If you want to do any sightseeing in Little Rock itself, the city park in North Little Rock is very convenient. It's basically just a parking lot in the shadow of the I-30, but easy access to the city.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is online now   Reply With Quote