Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #1

Hot Springs to Gulf Shores

We are leaving northern MO for Alabama on the 18th. We will be in Hot Springs with family for Thanksgiving. Has anyone made the trip from Hot Springs area tp Alabama? What is the best route and place to spend the night on the way?

Davison206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

May not be the quickest but I would go 40 to Memphis, 78 to Tupelo, 45 to Saraland/mobile, I10 to Loxley, and 59 to Foley. It depends on how many breaks you want to determine where to stay. Tupelo would be close to half way for just an overnight, I would try Barnes Crossing RV park, it's close to the mall and all restaurants . About 40 minutes further south, Blue Bluff campground in Aberdeen, it's a COE campground. Another 45 minutes south, go with Dewaynne Hayes COE campground in Columbus.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. Is there a reason to avoid I55 south through Mississippi?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

No not really but there's just not a quick way to get from Jackson to Mobile. 49 is 4 lane from Jackson to Hattiesburg but a lot of lights and stops. I have never traveled from Hattiesburg to mobile so I can't say anything about that section I have friends who live just south of Memphis who we meet in Gulf Shores. They say that time wise, 78-45 is slightly quicker but 55-49 is shorter mileage wise. If you do 55 and want a half way stop, there are 4 reservoirs just east of 55. All have state parks with campgrounds, the one at Grenada lake is the only one I have stayed at but the one at Ross Barnett near Jackson is nice.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

By the way, there is a shortcut around Mobile if you go 45. The only bad thing about 45 is that the 50 miles in Alabama is two lane. If you get behind some old guy in a motorhome, you can forget it!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

0h well, we would be the old guys pulling the travel trailer. We always say every day is Saturday. We try not to hurry now days.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davison206 View Post
Is there a reason to avoid I55 south through Mississippi?

Its really bouncy
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #8

Where are you staying in Gulf Shores?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #9

We are actually staying at Emmaus RV Park NE of Summerdale. We wanted the campground feel vs city rv park feel. We live in a rural area and camp 14 days each month in summer at COE park close to home. It is 20 +/- miles either direction to Mobile and Gulf Shores. I tried to get into GS St Park, but it was booked for the dates we wanted. Did not want to take a chance on being on a cancelation list. Plan on checking out other rv parks as well as condos while there.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #10

Know Summerdale but not familiar with that park. Fair hope is the nicest town in the area to us, it's on 98 along the bay. Recommend the sautéed crab claws at any Wentztalls, also recommend the Tin Top Restaurant off 59 between Foley and GS. It's on county road 10, I think! Condos are beginning to inch up in price but are still reasonable compared to 5-7 years ago. Check out Heritage RV in Orange beach, it's class A only individually owned RV spots. After staying there a few times, we would buy there over a condo. It may not be of interest to you but it's definitely worth a ride through if you close to the Warffe . .
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Thank you for all of the advice, especially about places to eat. Ed is really looking forward to fresh seafood. This is the first time we have been south. So looking forward to it.