Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #1

Houston area camping?

Hallo all.

On our way down to the Rio Grande Valley we will stop over in Houston and stay there for a few days. Are there any Camp Grounds you good folks could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Henry.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you prefer State Parks we have several in the area. On the north side is Huntsville SP, on the west is Stephen Austin SP, and South west is Brazos Bend SP. All are very nice sP with water and electric and dump stations. There are numerous private, but I leave Houston to camp, so I can't really recommend any of them fairly.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Community Administrator

We stayed here Go RVing - Texas RV Parks | Houston Area RV Resorts | Houston Cabins | RV Trailer Rentals and Cabin Rental in June and liked it very much. It was built by and owned by an RV'er

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #4

south of houston mile marker 4 tiki tom's rv park on the bay at tiki island
i stay there 2 or 3 weeks a year nice people to deal with
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will add that if you are headed to the valley, Brazos Bend SP might be the best choice. It is located in the country about 10 miles off of HWY 59 south, about 35 miles out of Houston. Great hiking trails, bird watching, and pretty spacious sites. About 80 miles further south down HWY 59 in the town of Edna, there is Lake Texana SP. This is one of our favorite winter parks in this area. Lots of lake front sites, plenty of dear and birds, over all great camping with an RV.

If you are wanting to stay closer to Houston than you would probably want to try a commercial park.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Just north of Houston in Spring (off I-45) is my favorite campground, Rayford Crossing. If you are just looking for a good night's sleep this probably isn't what you want, but if you want to swim in their heated pool or soak in the hot tub then their's is the best (hey, Houston temperature yesterday 12/21/10 was 82 degrees). The restrooms are the best I have seen and they have everything for your enjoyment (library, exercise room, pool table, etc). Check out their website at www.rayfordcrossing.com.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALSO View Post
Hallo all.

On our way down to the Rio Grande Valley we will stop over in Houston and stay there for a few days. Are there any Camp Grounds you good folks could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Henry.
We're glad y'all are coming to Texas Henry. Now, give us some info and we can arrange all sorts of itenarires.

When are you coming, how long is a few days, do you like resort cg's with lots of concrete or spacious sites with lots of trees (of course there aren't many leaves now except for the pine needles). Do you want to be within X miles of Houston or just in the Houston area? What do you want to see/do while in the area?

We can even give road and traffic info if we know your travel plans.

The "Houston area" is maybe 100 square miles so help us narrow your search.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #8

Henry,

As Jim says, Houston is a big place. But if all you are looking for is a one nighter then Beaumont might be an option if your coming in on I-10. There is a nice Passport America park there, Gulf Coast RV Resort.

RV Park Reviews :: Beaumont, Texas ( TX ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

We stopped for a night on our way to FL from the RGV a few weeks ago. $17.50 for a 50 amp FHU, Catv & Wifi on a concrete pull thru. Plus free breakfast in the am. Not a good option if you want to see things in the Houston area.

Bob
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

total agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
Just north of Houston in Spring (off I-45) is my favorite campground, Rayford Crossing. If you are just looking for a good night's sleep this probably isn't what you want, but if you want to swim in their heated pool or soak in the hot tub then their's is the best (hey, Houston temperature yesterday 12/21/10 was 82 degrees). The restrooms are the best I have seen and they have everything for your enjoyment (library, exercise room, pool table, etc). Check out their website at www.rayfordcrossing.com.
Stayed there several times. One of the best in the country.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Corral in Tomball is a great place to stay. Rayford is too polished and trimmed for my taste.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #11

Houston.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

We should be in Houston for New Years Eve. Weather permitting.

Our plans are only a few, a visit to PPL, Costco and Camping World.

Henry, Barb and Willow the mighty Chihuahua.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALSO View Post
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

We should be in Houston for New Years Eve. Weather permitting.

Our plans are only a few, a visit to PPL, Costco and Camping World.

Henry, Barb and Willow the mighty Chihuahua.
I'm sure you know the locations of PPL, Costco and CW so you know where to look for CG's. My only suggestion is New Years can be kinda hard to get reservations so beware. You can always spend the night in CW parking lot of course thats not free because you spend way more than that in their store.

I don't know what your CW run is about but I understand their service department is on par with other CW's...lousy.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #13

RE: Houston.

Jim.

Can you recommend a reputable service centre/garage in or near Houston? (Just in case I get carried away and buy something.)

For this trip it's shopping, for some reason there is always something you can use.

Henry.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had work done at PPL and were Ok with it. RustyJC has had some work done by a place NW of Houston and was happy. Maybe he will chime in here.

ONe place to avoid is Cliff Jones in Sealy. Texas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote