Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

How do you find an acceptable RV site?

What process do you use to find a good location for your RV on a trip to a new area? What are your favorite resources?

For example, we have a very large rig, a 43' 5th wheel toy hauler with slides on both sides, and usually we like full hookups with 50amp.

Some places are definitely too tight, others are difficult to get into or around the park.

Thanks for your suggestions,
James

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

I generally look online at reviews, if you put in a search for reviews of rv parks in a given area you should get a number of responses. I find that trip advisor is useful. You can also look at the IRV site they have some reviews, although they are rather limited. You can also request responses from this site as to recommendations for a given area.

Good Luck

Old 05-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
What process do you use to find a good location for your RV on a trip to a new area? What are your favorite resources?

For example, we have a very large rig, a 43' 5th wheel toy hauler with slides on both sides, and usually we like full hookups with 50amp.

Some places are definitely too tight, others are difficult to get into or around the park.

Thanks for your suggestions,

James

My "go to" resource is the "Allstays camp & RV app. I can then use Goggle maps or other equal to look at the physical location & evaluate the desirability. This also has links to the web site and user evaluations. I use other resources from time to time but almost always start with Allstays.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Www.rvparkreviews.com is a great resource and a good place to start your search.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Second rvparkreviews.com. Also like the app rvparky.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

We like passport america for the half price deals so i start with that app. Usually descriptions tell you about the sites. I call to make a reservation and tell them our trailer length. If no PA, i use the good sam app. It includes a lot more than just good sam parks. Good interface and free. Those are the two main clubs we use so if not one of them i use google maps.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

rvparkreviews.com and google maps. You can go to satellite and zoom in of the park and get a good idea of where you're going to.

The campgrounds tab at the top of the page is pretty good for a start.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 rvparkreviews.com and google maps.
We Spend a lot of time on google maps looking at the area, RV sites and how you access them.
Has help us from picking some really tight or bad sites!

For every campground we visit we also keep a log of how we feel the campground is 1-5. Then on our walks or bike rides we also write down all the sites we like and rate these as well, so if we decide to return we know where we would like to be in case our favorite site is full. We like having this option available for places we like to return too.

Safe Travels to All
RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFTravelers View Post

For every campground we visit we also keep a log of how we feel the campground is 1-5. Then on our walks or bike rides we also write down all the sites we like and rate these as well, so if we decide to return we know where we would like to be in case our favorite site is full. We like having this option available for places we like to return too.
We full-timed for 16 years and traveled constantly. I just figured we spent 5,840 nights in our RV during that time!

Of course, we had many favorites that we returned to and rating and marking specific sites helped a lot. There's one national forest campground in Colorado that we've returned to many times and somehow always managed to get our favorite site. That's a neat feeling - like returning home.

I've kept a campground file on the computer of our favorites and recommended or read-about good ones. I think it has about 300 pages to the document. I should sell it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I've kept a campground file on the computer of our favorites and recommended or read-about good ones. I think it has about 300 pages to the document. I should sell it!
That does not sound like a bad idea twogypsies!

I'm sure after 16 years and 5840 nights you have experienced it all. Many of us would love to have the opportunity to read your reviews and experiences.
I might want to start adding more detail to my notes or future book!

Safe Travels to All.
RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #11

Quote:
That does not sound like a bad idea twogypsies!

I'm sure after 16 years and 5840 nights you have experienced it all. Many of us would love to have the opportunity to read your reviews and experiences.
I might want to start adding more detail to my notes or future book!

Safe Travels to All.
Well, if I do sell it I'll give you a share for encouragement. I even have our fabulous boondocking secret places marked with GPS coordinates. They are mostly along neat trout fishing steams or small lakes or up in beautiful mountains.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
X2 rvparkreviews.com and google maps.
We Spend a lot of time on google maps looking at the area, RV sites and how you access them.
Has help us from picking some really tight or bad sites!

Safe Travels to All
x3. Those are our go to resources, especially satellite/earth view with google maps. Depending on the location and google's satellite imagery, you can really see your site and compare to the campground's map to even get site numbers. We also use state parks quite a bit, and many of those (typically through reserveamerica) provide pictures of each of their sites on the reservation page. We also walk around a campground (especially state/national park ones) and write down and rate camp sites in a notebook.

WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote