Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

How do you know which sites are good or bad

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, but I have never stopped at a camp site before. I'm just getting started in this and don't have my rig yet, but am trying to cover all the bases.
I have been reading everything on this site and have seen some issues with camp sites. How do you decide which ones to go to, especially if you are on a budget. I know a lot depends on the length of time staying, but what do you look for?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, but I have never stopped at a camp site before. I'm just getting started in this and don't have my rig yet, but am trying to cover all the bases.
I have been reading everything on this site and have seen some issues with camp sites. How do you decide which ones to go to, especially if you are on a budget. I know a lot depends on the length of time staying, but what do you look for?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
This site may help:Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews

or this one: Campground Reviews, RV Park Reviews and Campground Directory

Good luck and safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use a reputable campground guide, ie; Good Sam, Woodalls, etc, or the Campground Review Website. As you will be on a limited budget, you may be interested in campground memberships if there are campgrounds that you may frequent on a regular basis. Also, don't overlook Escapees RV Club which also offers discounts to members (not a big up-front fee and good campgrounds. There are quite a few options out there, but do your research and find the plan that best meets your requirements.

Good luck!

Bronk
Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Are you referring to sites at campgrounds, or pulling into remote camping areas?

At CGs, you are typically given a site based on what you want (electric 30A or 50A, water, sewage, cable) and the size rig you have. If the place isn't packed you may be able to choose the site you want.

I look for level sites with good space on the left side for opening the awning and enough room for a campfire. I prefer shade especially on hot days. Some people like to be to close to the showers, but don't matter much to me.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

In AZ our state campgrounds have a pic available for each site. A big help.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

We have Passport America. Great discount. You can look at their website before joining. I look at their campgrounds that are along the way we're going to travel. Then it's homework time. Look at the campground's website. Google earth to look at the layout. And as stated previously RV Park Reviews. If most of the reviews are good then I'm willing to stay. One bad or off review won't keep me from the park.
You can travel on a budget & you can find great places to stay!
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catstravel View Post
We have Passport America. Great discount. You can look at their website before joining. I look at their campgrounds that are along the way we're going to travel. Then it's homework time. Look at the campground's website. Google earth to look at the layout. And as stated previously RV Park Reviews. If most of the reviews are good then I'm willing to stay. One bad or off review won't keep me from the park.
You can travel on a budget & you can find great places to stay!
X2

If you'll be traveling much at all, Passport America is a no brainer IMO. Good Sam probably is too.

Depending on your needs, Escapees could be a very good option to consider as well.

Don't discount the value of taking a look at a place you're considering on Google Earth as mentioned above. It can give you great insight into what the place and it's surroundings are like.

Have fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One problem I have with using RV Park Reviews is the dates of some of the reviews. Some are 2 and 3 years old. I wish they would update the site to more current information. I think asking a question on the campground info forum just might get some better responses and at least something up to date. I do like using Google Earth as well to get a look at how everything is laid out. That's usually pretty helpful at least to me.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
The basic message of all the above is pretty much "do homework". Read reviews, get familiar with campground review websites, look also at state and provincial websites pertaining to campgrounds. Be prepared to move on if you don't like what you see. Despite all the best efforts, sometimes things just aren't as billed. If you get that feeling, go with your gut. It is no different than picking a hotel or motel to stay at or deciding if a restaurant or pub is right for you. Everybody has a different "list" of what they want in a campground. Some want playgrounds, some want no kids, some don't mind noise, others may have an issue if that crow is cawing too much. I often find that one persons awesome is another persons horrible. All you can do is make educated judgements and then give them a try. If something isn't for you, you know for next time and look for alternatives. If it is, then chances are you will go back at some point.
I make a point when I am out and about to stop in at potential campsites for future reference. There is really no substitute for first hand impressions.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #10

I agree with all of the above suggestions and I also sometimes find this web site
helpful : Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
One problem I have with using RV Park Reviews is the dates of some of the reviews. Some are 2 and 3 years old. I wish they would update the site to more current information. I think asking a question on the campground info forum just might get some better responses and at least something up to date. I do like using Google Earth as well to get a look at how everything is laid out. That's usually pretty helpful at least to me.
There are updates in the works for RVPR website. However the date(s) of the reviews are dependent upon when campers submit them. So, everyone needs to get busy writing new reviews for the places they have stayed!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #12

Keep in mind that weekly and monthly rates are usually much better than paying the daily rate even with a discount. I find state parks to be generally more expensive too as they offer no discounted rates and have stay limits. Just depends what type of camping and traveling you want to do. State park like campgrounds may be much more appealing for a weekend camper than a fulltimer. Passport America is great for discounts when traveling. We generally use RV Park Reviews and sometimes even word of mouth reviews from other campers. Rarely have we been disappointed with our campground choice.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

No one has mentioned that first you have to consider what YOU like. For example, we prefer to stay where the sites are further apart, has shade, relatively level and quiet. We rv to get away from the chaos, to relax, hike, fish, or just veg out. Someone else may be more interested in being part of the crowd and look for places that have lots of activities, a pool, close to shopping and towns and don't care if they can hear the conversation the next camper is having at the dinner table. Think about what your top requirements are. Take some Sunday drives and stop at some campgrounds available in your area and ask yourself, "would I be happy if I spent several days here?" Then look for places that meet your criteria. Enjoy!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #14

Tip #1: if you like a campground and are planning on returning walk around and jot down the site numbers that you find particularly nice. When making your next reservation you can request those sites. Tip #2: Holiday weekends fill up fast. Don't wait for the last minute to make reservations. Some people reserve 1 year in advance.

Our preference is to book campgrounds that have primarily transit sites as opposed to seasonal. We find the people to be much friendlier. Just my opinion...

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote