Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How does PassPort America work?

I have PPA and I understand the 50% off thing and I always check the listing for a particular park's restrictions on when I can use it.

My question is: If a park is, say $24 a night and they give it to you for $12, how do they make any money on it? I looked up one in Tonapah,NV which said it was a PPA park. When I talked to the proprietor(and I use this term veeeeery loosely), he said he was no longer a PPA park cuz they didn't give him what he was promised. I am wondering what he was promised? Does PPA reimburse the parks a percentage of the discount? I realize that being a PPA park may bring in more traffic, but I find it hard to believe it is that much to make it worthwhile for them.

Anyone know what the incentive is for the parks to be affiliated with PPA?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I've often wondered that myself. I'll be listening. Thanks for asking.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many limit their PPA discount availability to slower days of the week, off season, etc. So most any income they can drive their way is likely welcomed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I stayed at 4 different ones Mon, Tue., Wed and Thursday night this week.
On overnight stays at 1/2 price. It usually still cost at least $1 an hour for my stay.
The one Wed. night I was the only camper in the campground.

And all of the others had many empty spots. And all were real happy that I stopped and stayed with them.

At 1/2 price they are not losing $$. I only hook up to the electric. Have my own water & black/gray tanks only need dumped every 7 days or so.

And there are not very many of $12 ones around any more. Usually $15 on up.
I would rather pay $15 for electric then stay at any Wally World or truck stop
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

We also have been using PPA parks. Last night, we were the only RV in the campground. We are staying at another PPA park for the next couple of nights. There are few campers and the wifi is really good. We have a lifetime membership and have already recouped the cost.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not sure if any payback is used when a park becomes a PPA member. I have also been interested in that. I don't think so.

I do know that people have been turned away and the reason was that the park had agreed to a percentage of RV sites allocated to PPA, or even all combined discount programs. So when that percentage is full they can turn you away. In many of the write ups regarding a PPA park, the restrictions will usually say to "Call ahead for availability." Some PPA members have not done that and when they show up and are told that the CG is full they get upset because they can see empty spots. Yeah! Right! Who would guess that those could be reserved, right?

PPA is still a good deal in my book. I get my $44 back every year. Is it still $44? I did a 5 year membership.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
paz

I don't think PA gives the campground a payment of any kind. I think what PA offers to the campground is a free listing on their website and the possibility of filling otherwise empty sites. The campground owner hopes he can at least break even at half price, and he hopes people will return for a full-price stay at some time in the future.

When the campground owner says PA didn't give him what they promised, I think he means being a PA campground didn't increase his business and didn't add to his bottom line.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

PAZ: That's why I would guess the c.g. owner wasn't happy with PPA. His business didn't increase like he had hoped and it's probably because of his RV park in general. Perhaps he had poor facilities that he needs to upgrade before getting more business. We've used PPA for 17 years and have always gotten back the money we've put into it. We don't actively seek out PPA parks because our first choices are always public parks but if we really need a private park for a day or two, that's where we look first - the PPA directory. We haven't been disappointed in PPA.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Maybe it's just us, but at both of the parks that we frequent that use PPA, we stay longer now that they take it. For instance, Pechanga in the Temecula, California area takes it on weekdays. When visiting my daughter, we used to spend the weekdays at the local lake's state campground, but it's party city on the weekends. So we'd move to Pechanga for the weekend. Then back. Now we spend at least 2 weeks straight thru at Pechanga. And it is because of PPA.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. Many places do not enforce or will waive their PPA restrictions. Just ask.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Camping World has a sale on Passport America memberships for $39.95 plus three months free. I have been checking out the campgrounds and it seemed like a pretty good deal. Your endorsements reinforce my decision to purchase a membership tomorrow. Thanks!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #12

Most PPA campgrounds we've stayed at get more than 1/2 the normal fee after adding for many options, which they don't add on full price rates. One we've stayed at on I-70 in Kansas started at $12, then added $2 for 50A service, $2 for cable, and $2 for Wifi, which ended up $18 for a $24 site. Another one adds add'l for any electricity (I always wonder who would stay at a CG and not want electricity). Maybe not all PPA campgrounds do this but these are two that I've run into. And I'm running into both GS and PPA campgrounds that are limiting which sites can use the discount memberships, which are usually the least desirable sites in the campground. The discounts still help but not as much as is advertised.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have seen campgrounds with only a one day discount and I have seen unlimited discount. "Electricity additional" was on the listing for the unlimited discounted campground. Most of the campgrounds say "limited availability" and warn you to make reservations. Most of them seem to have a discount for only 2 days Monday - Thursday. It isn't perfect, but it is better than paying full price.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slightly off topic, but since you happened to mention Tonopah, NV, I wouldn't stay at any of the choices there. Tonopah (Nevada ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

When we travel from Carson City to Las Vegas, we just make it a point to drive the 400+ miles straight through.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote