Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #15

Live in San Destin Most beautiful place in the world. Just don't tell too many people. Enjoy your stay.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Are any of the beaches in the area dog friendly?
No dog friendly beaches in Destin (Okaloosa County). Just East in Walton County only residents can get permits to take their dogs on certain beaches, visitors don't try it, believe me. Further East in Panama City they have several hundred yards of beach West of Pier Park that is dog friendly. Further East in the Port St. Joe, St. George Island, Carrabelle Beach areas, you can take your dog to the beach almost anywhere.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #17

Beaches are wonderful but water temperature will be 10 degrees colder than Key West. 65 vs 75. Nice to look at pretty cold in, even for a Canadian.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post
Beaches are wonderful but water temperature will be 10 degrees colder than Key West. 65 vs 75. Nice to look at pretty cold in, even for a Canadian.
63 to be specific on the water temp...although I saw some people swimming on sunny days last week.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
We live in Destin. March is spring break month.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

We were just at Destin, Navarre, Gulf Breeze, etc., looking for a new home to buy. They definitely have very nice white sandy beaches. I see you're going in March. I'm in Key West (does not have nice beaches) and am parked next to a person that lives in Gulf Breeze. She was telling me their beaches are great, but in the summertime the water is very hot and there is a lot of marine growth. After seeing how nice the beaches are in January, I was disappointed to find out summertime was not so great.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
We were just at Destin, Navarre, Gulf Breeze, etc., looking for a new home to buy. They definitely have very nice white sandy beaches. I see you're going in March. I'm in Key West (does not have nice beaches) and am parked next to a person that lives in Gulf Breeze. She was telling me their beaches are great, but in the summertime the water is very hot and there is a lot of marine growth. After seeing how nice the beaches are in January, I was disappointed to find out summertime was not so great.
We live in Mexico Beach, one hour east of Destin. The beaches are great in the summer time! We swim and fish almost every day. Water temp can get in the high eighties or even nineties, rare this far north, you have to go much farther south along the gulf, Ft. Myers area. Our average water temp in summer is about 82 to 85. If you get a storm you will get sea grass from far off shore. Here they have machines that remove the grasses. I don't live in Gulf breeze, but can speak for areas east and west of our areas.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Destin beach is awesome in the summertime. Water is awesome, weather is awesome.....
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Just left Destin West RV Resort. Just across the Highway 98 from the beach. Pristine. Surpassed by Top Sail Preserve State Park. That beach was marvelous. Water was 63 degrees. Too cold for me for swimming. I scuba and that is the bottom of what I enjoy in a wet suit.

JMHO, but the best beach in FL. Of course others will argue, and I haven't see them all, but here it is pure sugar, wide, and long. I think end of March would be wonderful...but I'd choose Top Sail for a couple of weeks. Of course, Camp Gulf is close and between the two I mentioned, so, it looked nice from the road, but closed gate prevented a closer look.
We have reservations at Destin West for the first week in March. I just read a couple of recent reviews, is there construction going on? If so, we might change to Emerald Beach. Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
We just changed reservations to St. Rosa Sound RV park in Navarre Beach. There seems to be construction going on next to Destin West. We got sites on the beach
... Friend of ours is bringing his new MH - we were able to get sites next to each other. Going March 4-6th. Looking forward to it, hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #25

We've stayed at Henderson beach state park twice, big rig friendly, board walk to the beach, a/c in showers. No pets on beach.
chuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarmor View Post
We decided to try Camp Gulf in Destin Florida at the end of March this year. We usually go to Key West, my favorite spot, but heard the beach is very nice on the Panhandle in Florida. It's a long trip from NY for only 12 days so I always like a nice place, money not an issue. Anyone have and feedback. thanks in advance
We used to go to Camp On the Gulf, but only if you have to be RIGHT on the beach is it any good...and it is only the front row that is any good....last time there it rained so heavy that the run off came to the beach and created a huge crater, that the RV almost fell on the fall
So many better campgrounds in the area but not right on the sand but on the beach...i.e. Topsail,Henderson,Emerald,Destin West,Carabelle,Mexico
But have fun...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fantastic!!!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #28

We go to Panama City Beach RV Resort in PCB. Great rv park, only about 70 spaces and 100 yards to beach. Check their website.
Bob

Tags
florida