Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1

How's the beach in Destin, Florida?

We decided to try Camp Gulf in Destin Florida at the end of March this year. We usually go to Key West, my favorite spot, but heard the beach is very nice on the Panhandle in Florida. It's a long trip from NY for only 12 days so I always like a nice place, money not an issue. Anyone have and feedback. thanks in advance
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Destin is near Navarre. We enjoyed Emerald Beach RV Resort. Beaches are grand in that area
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
been to quite a few places along the panhandle and that's where I would go! Less crowded and pristine beaches!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jmamor, we live about one hour east of Destin, Mexico Beach. The beaches are pristine, sunsets unbelievable. Camp Gulf is on the ocean side of Hwy 98. We have not stayed their, looks a little tight for our rig, but they do have sites on the waters edge. Emerald Bch RV resort is on the Santa Rosa sound not beachside. However, it is lovely, well groomed and Ft. Walton just down the road. Emerald Beach does have a small white sand beach. Okaloosa Island has a very new RV resort that is top shelf. Heated pool, with the Ramada resort across the street with full privileges, beach, pool, cabana's etc. Okaloosa island is just an extension of Destin. East to our Mexico Beach, one hour you'll find a small tourist, fishing village with good restaurants, shopping etc. The beaches are among the best in the world. The El Govenor RV park is little known, very nice, not tight. Across the street 25 yards, is the El Governor hotel directly on the Gulf. Same folks own the hotel as well as the RV park. Everything is within walking distance, you'll love it. Well there you have it. PM us if we can help you further!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are any of the beaches in the area dog friendly?
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Top Sail state park is outstanding in the area. Getting in to camp is not easy as it is usually booked 6 months in advance, but if you can get in, has to be one of the best parks we have stayed in.

There is 6 miles of state beach that is very secluded. It is pet friendly. You can day use the park also, so suggest you stop by and visit. The park is about a mile from the beach, but they run a tram from the park/parking area to the beach.
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

You think this place looks tight, try KOA water front sites in Key West. You need a shoe horn to slide in.The site is as wide as you rig with slides out. They give you enough room to open your door to get to sit in front of your unit.
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Are any of the beaches in the area dog friendly?
I can't speak for the Destin area, best to google the specific area, checking there chamber site. In my area Port St Joe Beach is. Cape San Blas is. The town of Mexico Beach is not. We live in SJB. The towns are next to one another. So staying at the El Governor RV Park. Traveling east three minutes to SJB all the miles of beach are pet friendly.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Destin

The gulf beaches along Destin and Ft. Walton Beach must be the among the world's most spectacular snow-white strands! You need sunglasses on a cloudy day! I've seen most of the USA's shorelines, and, for me, nothing is as pretty. Its kind of a secret too. Not jammed up like Gold Coast, FL.
DelawareBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Been to the Destin area many times. There is also a state park Henderson Beach that is on the beach. Never stayed there but it looks nice.
BTW, we took a tour of Camp Gulf last year. Seemed pretty nice to me. Good location close to many attractions.
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

Destin to Pensacola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarmor View Post
We decided to try Camp Gulf in Destin Florida at the end of March this year. We usually go to Key West, my favorite spot, but heard the beach is very nice on the Panhandle in Florida. It's a long trip from NY for only 12 days so I always like a nice place, money not an issue. Anyone have and feedback. thanks in advance
I lived in the area for 4 years while stationed at Hurlburt Field Air Force Base. By far the most beautiful beaches in the US and maybe on the planet. Many campgrounds and at least 4 military FamCamps in the area. The sand is Snow White and powdery-soft. I suggest staying near Pensacola area. You won't believe how stunning the views are. Destin is about 45 minutes to an hour east on 98 and easy driving. Seafood is first class and Destin deep sea fishing is #1. ENJOY
Keeter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Beaches are the best around, as everyone has said! We stay at Camp Gulf every year for nine days, we love it! We stay on beach front sites, they are pricy and small but the beach is your campsite. They do not allow pets on the beach front sites, I think pets are not allowed on beaches in Destin, not 100% sure.
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spent Thanksgiving at Henderson Beach State Park. Beach is wonderful however not dog friendly....although we walked her at night without a problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Just left Destin West RV Resort. Just across the Highway 98 from the beach. Pristine. Surpassed by Top Sail Preserve State Park. That beach was marvelous. Water was 63 degrees. Too cold for me for swimming. I scuba and that is the bottom of what I enjoy in a wet suit.

JMHO, but the best beach in FL. Of course others will argue, and I haven't see them all, but here it is pure sugar, wide, and long. I think end of March would be wonderful...but I'd choose Top Sail for a couple of weeks. Of course, Camp Gulf is close and between the two I mentioned, so, it looked nice from the road, but closed gate prevented a closer look.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida