Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be aware that if you take Hwy 101 through San Francisco you'll be crossing the Golden Gate Bridge which will cost you a toll - if you have a tag axle and a toad that's 5 axles or $38.75 just to cross the bridge, and there's no people in the toll booths: they take a photo of your license plate and mail the registered owner a bill - if you don't pay promptly they add penalties to the toll.

When we travel to the north bay area we'll use the Richmond/San Rafael bridge coming south - it means you'll be using I880 down the East Bay to San Jose, which is all freeway (although crowded) instead of using Hwy 101 through San Francisco with all its traffic issues, but there's no toll that direction - and I hate SF with a passion!

Someone mentioned Sea and Sand RV Park in Depoe Bay, Oregon - if you can get an oceanside site there it is well worth their asking price! We spent time there last summer and the sunsets were amazing out of our windshield!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider coming North on Hwy 395 along the East side of the Sierra Nevada Range. Maybe go as far as San Luis Obispo on Hwy 101 South, East to 395, North through Bishop, 139 through Susanville on to Klamath Falls and either stay on the East side of the mountains or cut across to I-5. Unless you need to travel fast, I-5 is pretty boring.

Hwy 395 is a great route with lots to see. Lassen, Manzanar, Tulelake, Crater Lake, are a few, plus, all the small roads that take you into the mountains. Great scenery! Stop at the bakery in Bishop!!!

It's already in the mid-90's to 100+ here in Yuma so you might want to skip Palm Springs, Yuma, Death Valley, etc. on this trip. We begin our northern journey next week.

On a side note, I'm (66 year old, woman) the primary driver of our 40'DP w/toad. Get comfortable with driving your rig, if only in case of an emergency. My hubby drives about 1-2 hours a year just so he knows he can.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am an Oregon native and I second everyone’s opinion that you need to see 101 in Oregon. It is fine for a big rig, semi trucks travel it every day. I-5 is a rat race with everyone trying to get somewhere but 101 is a slower paced ride and the locals are used to slow RV traffic. You just can’t go anywhere fast on 101. Coming back north try 97 on the east side of the Cascades. Hit Crater lake for a day with the toad. Farther north stay at La Pine State Park check out the Newberry monument and take the toad up to Paulina Peak. Take an afternoon and see the High Desert museum to get a look at the real old west. Once you hit Bend you can head west on Hwy 20 or go farther north and take Hwy 26 to Portland or stay on 97 all the way to I-84 then decide how to head back home. Lots of options but I-5 is a snoozer.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hubby and I are planning a trip down the West Coast and then if time, to AZ.

Being a native Oregonian we traveled 101 many times. I must disagree and don’t remember “no guard rails” and looking over the edge on 101 ..highway 1 maybe. 101 is a major highway. The only tight spot might be in the Redwoods. Of course I drove big rigs and feel comfortable so that may effect my opinion
Take 101 from Astoria Oregon to north of the Bay Area .. then inland to avoid downtown SF traffic whatever else you want in S calif next then if time northern Az might be cool enough and not to hot then back 395 as far as you want
Have a great trip take your time and take it in !

I 5 is great if you need to drive fast and just get there .. you can do the trip in a week that way
Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #19

If going down 101 (no drop-offs - they're on Hwy 1), a good place to visit the giant trees is a stop at Ancient Redwood RV park at Redcrest, CA

I also recommend not driving through San Francisco. Head east north of the bay.

I also recommend taking 395 on your return. You'll absolutely love it and very little traffic compared to I-5 or 101. Gorgeous!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieW View Post
We have never driven down the coast so I an eager to see it. Years ago, we flew a few times out to CA with our kids and visited, San Diego, LA, San Francisco and up through Fresno to Sequoia NP and down to Monterey and Carmel. By the time we would get to AZ, I am worried it may be too hot, especially for our dogs. There’s plenty to see between here and CA, is my thinking. We are fortunate to be able to decide as we go. I’m retired and hubby has a flexible job. We just need to be back before our gkids are out of school. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Let us know how it goes. I’m headed to Whidbey Island in June and through Idaho and Montana after that. I’m trying to escape So Cal for the summer.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #21

I must disagree and don’t remember “no guard rails” and looking over the edge on 101 ..highway 1 maybe.
Maybe I am thinking more of hwy 1, but I was the passenger on that trip, and I remember thinking that it felt like I was hanging over the cliff most of the way down that Pacific Coast Hwy. There are virtually no shoulders in spots, and no guard rails. We picked up the hwy at Reedsport and went as far as Bixby bridge. The rest of the hwy south was closed due to landslides.