Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lake Osprey RV Resort has Availability

There has been several evacuees arrive already and more are coming. There is availability and they have discounts for the evacuees. Call them at 251-986-3800 for info. This resort is in South Alabama and North of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #16

We live in Florida, in what at this time appears to be in the direct path of the hurricane and I strongly suggest you NOT come to Florida at this time. You will just be in the way and taking up space needed by all the people fleeing the storm. Most folks here are going west to the gulf coast area and I think I can safely say that these people will get priority for places even if you have a reservation. To be perfectly frank, and I'm very sorry to say this, but you should go somewhere other than Florida.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
By Saturday the storm will be hitting South Carolina. Should have no worries in Panama City or the west coast of Florida as far as weather. However, the people displaced will still not be able to return home, if they still have one.
I would give up my spot for someone in need and find another place to go further west. Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is nice.
Cranemec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
We live in Florida, in what at this time appears to be in the direct path of the hurricane and I strongly suggest you NOT come to Florida at this time. You will just be in the way and taking up space needed by all the people fleeing the storm. Most folks here are going west to the gulf coast area and I think I can safely say that these people will get priority for places even if you have a reservation. To be perfectly frank, and I'm very sorry to say this, but you should go somewhere other than Florida.
Second this. if you are heading anywhere to florida stop (north of atl if you can) and leave the sites and roads and parking lots and such for those who have had to eave the path of the storm. Places are turning away folks running already, residents of the east coast of florida are having a hard time finding anywhere to stay or just park for a day or so without folks from the north coming down and taking spots.

if you have a reservation and are not coming please cancel it so it will not sit empty and someone have to site at a rest area, under an overpass, or a very crowded walmart when they could use the empty site in a state park or campground you have reserved.

state park i am hiding at has empty spots but they are "reservered" folks will be sent away and some of those will sit empty tonight.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #19

I should also add that some state parks, Manatee Springs SP for example have closed and told people to leave and that's on the west side of the state.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
......No worries, we are prepared, after all we have everything needed with us no matter where we land.

As a one time Florida resident, I know what happens when the wind field hits at ground level.........the west coast is far enough away to be protected. After the storm moves through tomorrow, while we are hundreds of miles away, the rest of the weekend and next week will be fabulous.......

Remarkably shortsighted.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #21

You city people are weird. Lol

I realize you have limited information and I forgive you.

We made it to the panhandle without a single issue. There is plenty of camp sites, no refugees.

Tomorrow we head to Dunedin, Monday Key Largo, Tuesday Key West.

I will report in later.
Give your kids a hug, get out your wallets and go camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	141041  
Old 10-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
You city people are weird. Lol
Having been through the L.A. Riots, Northridge quake, a hurricane in FL, a few in TX, various typhoons in the Far East, and a few other natural, or no so natural disasters, I prefer the "weirdness" associated by not voluntarily placing myself or my family in close proximity to such events.

Been there, done that.

I sincerely hope we are in fact overstating reality, and you folks in or headed to FL and other affected areas have a safe and pleasant journey.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #23

We were on the verge of making a big loop east, down the east coast to Jacksonville, then west along the gulf to Mobile before heading back home to Minnesota. (And catch our last four states of the lower 48). We're going to cancel and try that trip another time. Sounds like recovery is going to take a while in some areas, and they probably don't need tourists for a while. Wish you all down there luck.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #24

DW and I are sort of in the same situation as Tahoejeep. Currently in Spartanburg, SC after Evacing from Charleston. Wil spend some time in Savannah starting next week, if our reservations are still good, if the RV park is open, etc. Was thinking of going South to St Augustine before heading toward New Mexico but will stay flexible. We have RVs from 200 miles away here right now, and best case is middle of the next week before they can return home, many of the coastal spaces will be occupied for months as people wait for their stick homes to be repaired.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #25

I live about 25 miles south of St. Augustine. They had a lot of damage and storm surge from Matthew, so I would strongly suggest you not go there at this time.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
We will be going to Disney in 3 weeks and then drive from Orlando to Jacksonville where we have reservations for a few nights. Would the route with fuel stops be up and running by that time.

I am also working on a trip (April/May/2017) that will travel the coastline from the Outer Banks to Jacksonville. Surely everything will be back up and running at that time. I was getting ready to start making reservations when Matthew decided to pay a visit.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane