Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Hurricane Matthew

So, me and the wife are heading to The Tampa area from Indiana tomorrow. We aren't planning on getting there until Saturday afternoon. We have reservations (not my idea).

We should be close to Panama City Friday. Anyone that has driven 98 from the panhandle to the Tampa area have any advice about road conditions?

Also does anyone know where everyone bugging out from the east coast is going? I don't want to get caught up in the crowd...
biggcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

98 to 19/27 South, great 4 lane then follow 98 E to Fl toll rd to I75 S, but not this weekend with the storm, till it passes. Lots of traffic with folks fleeing.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #3

Going that way Next Thurs, to Lazy Days RV
Old 10-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #4

If I were in Fla now I would be leaving. There is no way that I would go to south Fla until I find out that the Hurricane has passed and the area is safe. From what the weather channel is predicting things could be very bad.
Some interstates will be flowing in one direction tomorrow in order to get people out of harms way.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Tropical storm watch has been issued for the tampa area.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

US-98 is a good road all the way to Perry. From Perry take US-19 southwards, then just past Homosassa Springs turn east on US-98 then south on the Suncoast Parkway. The Suncoast is a toll road but is loads better than fooling around with US-19 any farther south. The Suncoast evenutally turns into Veterans Expressway and goes through Citrus Park and passes along the west side of TIA. US-19 is a good four-lane road.

If you need to go into more central or eastern areas of Tampa get off the Suncoast at SR-54/Land O'Lakes and you can connect with Dale Mabry, US-41 and even I-75.

What you'll probably run into is that CGs will be full. I'm in a CG southwest of Tallahassee near US-98 and we already have folks from Jax showing up. Quite a few people report in Facebook rv groups that CGs along I-75 and westward are full. If this storm is really bad those people won't be going home for a while.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
So, me and the wife are heading to The Tampa area from Indiana tomorrow....

Bad plan.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
So, me and the wife are heading to The Tampa area from Indiana tomorrow. We aren't planning on getting there until Saturday afternoon. We have reservations (not my idea).
The best thing for you to do is call the RV park and see what their policy is on cancelling the reservations or else just chalk them up as a loss. I wouldn't go near the area at this time. What fun will it be?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Tropical storm watch has been issued for the tampa area.
That means winds of 20 MPH with gust up to 60 MPH. He will probable be driving faster then that.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

Lake Osprey in South Alabama was getting a lot of phone calls yesterday afternoon.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
US-98 is a good road all the way to Perry. From Perry take US-19 southwards, then just past Homosassa Springs turn east on US-98 then south on the Suncoast Parkway. The Suncoast is a toll road but is loads better than fooling around with US-19 any farther south. The Suncoast evenutally turns into Veterans Expressway and goes through Citrus Park and passes along the west side of TIA. US-19 is a good four-lane road.

If you need to go into more central or eastern areas of Tampa get off the Suncoast at SR-54/Land O'Lakes and you can connect with Dale Mabry, US-41 and even I-75.

What you'll probably run into is that CGs will be full. I'm in a CG southwest of Tallahassee near US-98 and we already have folks from Jax showing up. Quite a few people report in Facebook rv groups that CGs along I-75 and westward are full. If this storm is really bad those people won't be going home for a while.
Thank you @johnkicks, this is most useful information.

To everyone else, thanks for sharing, I will keep you updated when I can. No worries, we are prepared, after all we have everything needed with us no matter where we land.

As a one time Florida resident, I know what happens when the wind field hits at ground level. Florida is also a big state and the west coast is far enough away to be protected. After the storm moves through tomorrow, while we are hundreds of miles away, the rest of the weekend and next week will be fabulous.

We also have people on the ground in Florida for updates (much more reliable than the media hype).
biggcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have a S&B house at Ground Zero - Melbourne Florida. House is shuttered up, generator ready, food and water ready. I decided to leave my RV in the storage facility and hope their roof stays on. 12 years ago during Hurricane Frances, Ivan, and Irene I used my RV as a lifeboat in my driveway and ran the RV genny for 5 days.

If I was traveling to Florida I wouldn't travel East or South of Orlando. I heard all the hotels in Tampa are full and probably the RV resorts. As of right now most of the gas stations along the coast are out of fuel and probably the truck stops. The panhandle of Florida or Alabama would be a good place to go now. I would avoid Jacksonville.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

I sure hope everyone gets through safe and sound.

Coming from Indiana, I would also consider Port Aransas, TX as a good alternate. We like either Gulf Waters RV Resort, or Pioneer.

Drive safe,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
Commercial Member

its a bad idea to go to florida now especially without some careful planning
the campgrounds in northern florida, southern alabama and georgia will be full.
evacuees that have campers of any kind will have already filled up available sites.
they will be there several days, until they can safely return home. that may be weeks for some. even then, when you get to your destination, campsites will be in short supply.
if you have reservations, i would check before arriving.
local people whose home were destroyed may come first over out of towners.
fuel will probably be in very short supply. after disasters like matthew, quantities normally are limited because of demand. keep filled up. when you reach 1/2 tank, stop asap. there may not be fuel for a while till tankers can refill station tanks.
watch your food supply. if food is available, buy it. whatever is available. dont hoard it, but keep a good supply. if you dont need it, some one else will. sharing is a sign of a good person.
this may sound extreme, but my daughter went thru same thing several years ago when a hurricane hit the southeast coast of florida. it was 2 1/2 weeks before she got electricity back in her neighbor hood. she had a full tank of gas, she had a generator, which she shared with neighbors. the people banded together and shared resources, some had food, some had fuel, she had a 6.5 generator. at least their refrigerators could run .she became a real pioneer during that time. she learned what neighbors could do if they band together.
i worked in louisiana after katrina. i was doing repairs on fire trucks, and other vehicles. i slept in my truck because there wernt any rooms for over 100 miles from me.
im just saying, first dont go till later. if you do go, prepare for all the things ive talked about. be a good citizen, and a good person. share what you have, help when you can. do the right thing. thats what its all about.
sorry, dont mean to lecture. this trip presents an opportunity to help. thats all im saying
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane