Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

Planning a trip thru Williams CA. on 20 to Willits on 101 to Crescent City north into OR to Lincoln City. Thinking of doing this the second and third weeks of March! Any comments are welcome!! Special sights, campgrounds, state parks or any other comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
walkingplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

Planning a trip thru Williams CA. on 20 to Willits on 101 to Crescent City north into OR to Lincoln City. Thinking of doing this the second and third weeks of March! Any comments are welcome!! Special sights, campgrounds, state parks or any other comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
walkingplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Gerard

Good luck on your trip in March. You will be entering some beautiful country in Northern CA. I know because I have driven that route many times. Our son graduated from HUMBOLDT STATE UNIVERSITY in ARCATA a couple years ago and I can't tell you how many times I have driven that route coming from our home here in Santa Ynez. As for a couple of Campgrounds you might enjoy: Check out BENBOW VALLEY RV RESORT & GOLF in Benbow CA (it is just south of Garberville)(www.benbowrv.com). Another place is in ARCATA- MAD RIVER RAPIDS RV PARK (www.madriverrv.com). Ofcourse there are several state parks also along that route. They are RICHARDSON GROVE SP & HUMBOLDT REDWOODS SP.
As for sights to see:
If you stay any lenght of time in one of the parks and you have a TOAD, I would recommend a drive through the route along 101 called the AVE OF THE GIANTS. I would not take a MH on this road but it is great with a TOAD. Some of these redwood trees are amazing.

The town of FERNDALE is interesting because of all the Restored Victorian Houses.
LOLETA has a Cheese Factory that is also a interesting tour. Both of these are just south of Eureka.

As for Route 101, from Willits to Eureka there are some sections that are only two lanes and can be narrow as the route passes through the two State Park areas. Also the logging trucks use 101 alot and these guys really move with huge logs or lumber loads. They mostly go southbound with the loads down to the mills in UKIAH. It is always fun when you catch one of these guys in the two lane sections

Weather in March can be great or it can be rainy. There is one section of HWY 101 that is noted for its mud / rock slides blocking 101. It is called the SUPERSITION HILL area. CAL TRANS has been re-working that area for years, so you might run into some construction delays.

Over all the route is very do-able. I have done it in a car and in my prior 30 ft MH (gasser). It is a very pretty drive and safe if you take your time carefully through the two lane sections. Other section are four lane divided roadway and are very easy to drive with easy grades up and down some of the hills.

Route 20 from WILLIAMS has a few issures that you should note. The CLEAR LAKE area has a couple of tight turns if you stay on ROUTE 20 which stays north of the lake. I believe truckers take the Route 53 to Route 29 cutoff which goes around the lake on the south side. In and around the CLEAR LAKE area you are not allowed to use your Exhaust brake. There are also a couple of grades you will transverse just west of WILLIAMS. They are not hard but on the two lanes it might slow down just a bit.

As for north of Arcata, I am not really that familar with what is up there. I have done a day trip to the PATRICKS POINT SP. It is a very nice park that has trails along the coast line. Ofcourse further up is the REDWOOD NATIONAL PARK. We never managed to get up there with all the times we went to see our son at college but I guess we will just have to head up there some time on the future as one of our vacation trips.

I hope this helps and there are many more things to see and do up along CA North Coast into OREGON. Good Luck, drive safe and take some great pic's.
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #4

In addition to the good suggestions Bill gave you, let me add that you plan to stop for a meal at the Samoa Cookhouse, west out of Eureka. Watch for the signs. We've enjoyed their meals for over 30 years, breakfast is what we like best, but all 3 daily meals are very good. It is well worth the detour and the time... and your tummies will thank you.

We enjoy "Sounds of the Sea" RV Park when we are in the area, just north of Trinidad, located across the road from the south edge of Patrick's Point State Park. 1-800-598-0600.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The drive thru the redwoods on Hwy 101 is a beautiful scenic drive. It is very narrow in spots as others have already mentioned. Drive slowly and enjoy the views.

There are a number of tourist stops along the way such as The Mystery Spot and the Drive Thru Tree if such things interest you.

We stayed in Trinidad at The Emerald Forest of Trinidad RV Park http://www.rvintheredwoods.com/ and really enjoyed it. It is right in the heart of the redwoods. It is an older park and a little tight but I got in and out with a 37" Class A pulling a toad without a problem. There are some nice restuarants on the coast also.

The Oregon coast is beautiful.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Additional suggestions:

Yes I would second the suggestion to eat at the SAMOA COOKHOUSE. We have had Breakfast and dinners there and it is really good. It is family style -All you can eat. If you like "cinnamon rolls" there is a place in ORICK with the best ones I have ever tasted. ORICK is a small town on 101 north of Trinidad. It is just a small deli right along the route. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place. I will talk to our son and see if he remembers and get back with you.

Again have a good trip. There is alot to see and do.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
DH and I just drove that route as far as Coos Bay, OR a couple of weeks ago. For the most part the roads are in good condition. Between Willits and Eureka there are some construction zones and some areas where there have been small slides. If you stay in Eureka for an overnight, I would suggest you try to stop in the Coos Bay Area and explore the sites there for another.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Here is the name of the cafe in ORICK that Has the great cinnamon rolls. PALM CAFE.

The son states that the large "PAUL BUNYUN" rolls are only through a "call in order" the day before. But he did say that the smaller ones should be available within the cafe. In either case they are really good.

The other bit of information concerns the name of the section of Hwy 101 that I mistakenly called SUPERSITION Hill, it is really called CONFUSION HILL

Have a good trip and hopefully it will not rain in March.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #9

Along with the many wonderful sites suggested above (I will third - since that comes after second - Samoa Cookhouse) if you have never driven this route, plan on making many many stops or your other option is to run off the road trying to look at all the sights. Try to take in Prarie Creek Redwood park and Jedadiah Smith Redwood Park. While "driving through the redwoods" is spectacular, you really really have to get out and walk through a spectacular grove of trees to really appreciate them (watch out for tree roots cuz your eyes will be up and not down)
The coast will draw your eyes towards the ocean so again plan on stopping often
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote