Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Hwy 1

We are heading out west from florida next month,is the scenery on cal. hwy #1 headed north to washington worth the hassle of heavy traffic or congestion? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It certainly is worth it when you get to Oregon and hit 101. Come to think of it, almost anything can beat the flat land monotony of FL ! Seriously, the drive along the Pacific Ocean is spectacular and well worth it especially if you don't have any time constraints. The difference between the two coasts is truly amazing.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

I agree. The trip north is the best. Great vistas. And, you are on the inside. Hanging the DW out over the Pacific is not for the best of relations. All kidding aside, the trip is one of a life time. Do it if you can.
JB
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Depends on the size of your rig, there are restrictions from Big Sur on all the way to Los Gatos.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfado View Post
Depends on the size of your rig.

Ditto. I grew up in SF and the views along hwy 1 from Mexico to Canada are incredible. We've spent a lot of time out that way since we bought our 40DP, BUT, there are many stretches we wouldn't even think of driving our coach and toad combo on so use hwy 101 as a parallel alternative for much of the trip. We take day trips to the coast in our toad.

The stretches from Santa Barbara to Monterey and from SF to Fort Bragg come to mind as roads we avoid.

You don't list the details of your rig in either your signature or in your profile. You might consider adding some details so members can provide you with more specific responses.

Best of luck and enjoy the west!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Worth the trip but depends on your rig---I drove the length in a Class C not towing---heading south----from Oregon it is true about wife hanging over the edge she did not like it but we have the stories now to tell. Heading North not so bad on passenger you are in the cliff side lane. Class A depends on how long towing etc---it is a windy twisty road stuck on the side of a cliff for much of the trip---beautiful vistas---if you dare to look. This time of year traffic will not be so bad summer is the primary season.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #7

We will be in a 40 dsdp pulling a full size blazer,there is no time restraint and we have no schedule,just headed west till we decide to come back.Thanks for the imformation,been out west but never to the coastline.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #8

You'll love it! Hopefully you'll have time to stop and explore at your heart's content, as well as patronize local mom & pop businesses along the route.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have driven the whole way from Morro Bay to Portland in 38 foot MH towing a Jeep Liberty. A little puckery once in a while but doeable and beautiful.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

you may be happier staying on 101 and making some day trips over to 1 .
101 is an easy drive and will take you through the wine country and the redwoods in northern cal.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
We will be in a 40 dsdp pulling a full size blazer,there is no time restraint and we have no schedule,just headed west till we decide to come back.Thanks for the imformation,been out west but never to the coastline.
We drove it in our Class C in 2006 . . . definitely leather-sucking. We would never do it now in our 42 foot DP.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In Nov 2011 I drove my 34 footer with a PT Crusier on a tow dolly up US 101 from Santa Rosa, CA to WA, the only place I had any concern was crossing the Columbia River at Astoria, OR.

I have driven this in a car many times both north and south, but being in a MH I saw a lot of new things I had never seen before and I will make the trip again in a heart beat.

Enjoy the drive and take the time to make many stops and enjoy the view.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

My opinion for what it's worth: Take US Hwy 101 not CA 1 for a motor home of any size. As above members suggest take the small car over to the places on hwy 1 you may want to see. I think there are several posts discussing Hwy 101 vs CA 1 available if you search this forum.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
My opinion for what it's worth: Take US Hwy 101 not CA 1 for a motor home of any size. As above members suggest take the small car over to the places on hwy 1 you may want to see. I think there are several posts discussing Hwy 101 vs CA 1 available if you search this forum.
It can be argued that California 1 is perhaps the most scenic road in America especially the portion north of Morro Bay. When in the San Francisco area head east three hours and visit Tahoe. The American author Mark Twain said in his book 'Roughing It' that "Tahoe was the fairest picture the whole earth affords". Don't travel this far from home and miss the coast nor Tahoe. Both are well worth the visit.