Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hwy 151 from Madison WI & Dubuque IA

How are road conditions for Hwy 151 between Madison WI & Dubuque IA?

Traveling in a 40' class A with a Toad.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

I havent taken that route between the two cities, but route of choice would be 18 West from Madison to Prairie du Chien and then 35 south to Dubuque.
EMDF9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 AM   #3

I travel that route at least once a year to visit family. The road is great but there are a few bigger hills as you get closer to Dubuque. I don't remember any of them having x% grade signage. None of them are very long either.
notatwci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Its been a few years, but 151 between the two cities you name is a very good road, much of it four lanes. I'd not hesitate to take our rig over that route.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

I haven't traveled the that route since last fall... it was a good trip..

The only issue I recall is where I got onto Hwy 151/18... I was coming from Milwaukee and got on at the Hwy12/Hwy151/18 intersection and there as major construction.. but it was only right there at the intersection.. once past that, it was fine..

So, I guess depending where you're going to get on.. it should be fine..

Safe travels
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

I was over that route about 2 months ago ...

Good road .. 4 lane all the way ... only 1 roadside rest stop (just before Dubuque) ... there is an enormous truck parking area at the Belmont BP station if you need to rest sooner (you will pass the flashing cow if you go there ... it gives me a grin every time).

There is construction the first mile or so on 151 as you leave Madison ... and there is some construction about the last 5 miles before Dubuque

This is a very pretty drive ... contour farming, rolling wooded hills, dairy and grazing cattle ... you bypass all the towns anymore, including Mineral Point (historic mining town)

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote