Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

HWY 2 and 202 in Maine

Any one know how these 2 Hwy's are to travel with a 43 ft class A in Maine? Want to stay off the toll roads if I can.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

I have not been on Rt 2 but I have been on 202 it fine for your coach. I also like Rt 1 It seem to be a little more scenic, although a bit slower, but I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere. Lot of quaint little towns to go through.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks Tony
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot depends on the time of year. Traffic in ME can be brutal in the summer, and sometimes, only somewhat better in the fall. Any of these will be very slow in summer, with Route 1 being the worst. (We have a cottage in Ogunquit and it has taken us over an hour to travel a couple of miles on Route 1 in that area).
Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #5

HWY 2 and 202 in Maine

We did it in a 34 ft plus a toad. Westbound 2 thru Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. The roads a nice and most were newly paved. Shouldn't be a problem. Nice route. Someday our goal is to take 2 from Maine all the way to the west coast.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #7

Enjoy route 2. The faster you get clear of the Maine coast in tourist season the better for your stress level and blood pressure.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

We traveled east on 2 last fall...the road was in good shape and we had no trouble with 36' and a tow. Traffic was backed up westbound by all the people leaving the coast...but the road was fine for large RVs w/toad.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are heading thru Maine on our way to Nova Scotia and PEI. We were thinking of taking Rte1 part of the way to get better scenery and was wondering which sections of Rte 1 are worth doing..... I realize it will be slower, but that's oK.

Also, are there places for a 43'MH and toad to actually stop and walk around in any of the towns, or do we just drive through?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #10

Route 1 in southern Maine in the summer is a major traffic jam. Much of it can be walked faster than driven ! Join US1 as far north as possible and use a map to take side roads that run closer to the coast for the best views of the coast. Avoid the Acadia/Mt. Desert Island area if you want to avoid heavy traffic during high tourist season (June-August). I do not like heavy traffic. I did travel the entire US 1 run through Maine once just to please my wife and sister in a SUV and could not even imagine trying it in a RV !! I love Maine in October and even then I avoid Columbus weekend because of the tourist traffic....maybe having spent too many years in the metro New York City area did that to me ! Have a safe trip.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWY 2 and 202 in Maine

Looking to go on Rte 1 north of Freeport. Are there places to actually stop and get out of a 43 MH and toad?

I spent 58 years on Long Island..... I know traffic 😉. Now that I am retired, I am looking to take in the sights, not avoid them.

Taking the side roads closer to the coast sounds good, but can I do it in my rig?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #12

My trips on US 1 in Maine were all in a FJ Cruiser and I was never looking for a spot to park a motor home. You tend to look at things differently depending on what you are driving. However there are plenty of shopping centers and parking lots where you can park your unit as much of the US 1 corridor is commercial. Boothbay Harbor could be worth a stop, also Rockport, Camden and Searsport. The area has plenty of campgrounds. Send for the "Maine Camping Guide"..... Call (207)782-5874.....email : info@campmaine.com. Regional maps and campground locations statewide....very good publication.
If you could endure Long Island traffic long term you will find Maine to be a walk in the woods !
Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Look at a map of Maine and you will see that the vast majority of US1 has no views of the water. You have to take one of the side routes to get views, and most of them are dead ends so you have to return to US1 to go elsewhere. Lots of nice things to see on the side routes but not so much on US1.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #14

I failed to note that my "trips" on Us 1 included many side routes to view the coast.
I did list several coastal towns but a complete list would fill several pages. One of The last coastal towns on the United States Maine coast is Lubec and then Calais.
From Lubec you can connect via a bridge to Campobello Island and FDR's summer home (Campobello Island is in Canada and worth the short side trip). Eastport, Maine is a thriving community with historic sites, shops and wonderful restaurants.
This area is great for viewing whales, porpoises and eagles. There are many other great things to do and see in the coastal areas but now we are starting down the travelogue road. The state of Maine will send you much info if you ask.
Have a fun trip !