Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
To add to the list of things it seems that RV park designers don't think about: Having your site situated so that the awning will provide some afternoon shade. Too often, in parks with little natural shade, the RV will face the west so that the sun shines directly under the awning as it goes down. Also, some park designers seem to forget that water (& sewage) won't run uphill which makes dumping your tanks more difficcult.

Well that first one is kind of a tall order. Not all areas park the same direction. Making it so would sure make a larger park needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #16

Almost every little town we have gone through is promoting its rodeo days or its historical sites or it quiet out of the way nature. They're all looking for tourists in one way or another. Many have brand new hotels but the rv lots are abysmal.
Someone is losing out on business big time or they have enough for the "take it or leave it" attitude. If you're in business, make it so people want to stop there. Even if you don't have wifi or TV keep it clean, and have good basic equipment. Lots of places are no better than what is found in BAJA Mexico.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #17

The simple answer to the original question is many/most people are lazy. Its not just business owners - look at suburban houses with cars in the driveway because the owner is too lazy to clean out his garage.

I read online reviews to avoid the worst problems, but occasionally still see a bad design. The campground I'm in right now has electric boxes over 10' away from gravel parking area, and too far forward too. My neighbor's box is closer to my trailer than theirs. I had to pull my trailer so far forward (to avoid using an extension cord) that I ended up with my truck parked behind my trailer on a pull-thru site.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Please add you specific comments to RVParky, RVparkreviews and Yelp, so that all of us can know what these places are really like. Then the RV'ers can make an informed decision. I have stayed in good and bad. They each got my uncensored opinion in a review. I prefer to not stay at WalMart, but that has been a much better night than in some of the places I paid (sometimes a lot) for an overnight. Location to me is as important as a few bucks, but there are more WM's than bad parks. Truck stops and rest areas are usually too noisy for us. Eventually the bad places will be sold or simply close or more likely become slums.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Yesterday we traveled hwy 385 from the Black Hills to Sydney NE. I have to agree with the OP, once out of the Black Hills the RV parks were full of what looked like farm hands junk trailers and pickups. Every small town had an RV park, but nothing we would have stayed in. We made Sydney and Cabela's our destination park., but I can see the OP's point for those of us that dislike traveling the Interstates. If you have not traveled 500 miles off of the Interstate it's a whole new way to travel and extremely enjoyable. But planning stops does become challenging and sometimes small town Walmarts have to do.

As the Interstate bypassed a lot of the small towns the RV parks became low income housing....sad, but true.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #20

While trying to avoid the political side it is worth noting that wages for most hourly workers have been more or less stagnant since the early 1980's while the value of the dollar continues to rise with inflation. I know of a couple of people that ended up living in their camper and others that moved to manufactured housing because lot rent was cheaper than staying in their stick and brick. I would assume I was seeing the effect of the local economy.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #21

the old adage "you pay for what you get" hold true for rv parks
location,amenities,upkeep and services all cost money and is reflected in the rates you pay. the park owner is in business to make money and must charge accordingly.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, Cliffy..... you go through your long rant, with the broken stuff and the derelict cars and the bad sites and the hard to find and the other bad stuff because there are no standards and then you ask......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
......Why is there no national chain of franchises like hotels, in the rv campground business?.........
And of course the obvious answer is staring you right in the face-- there already is one! But then you throw a wrench in all the figuring when you say "KOA aside."

Why KOA aside? So, now we know we're not allowed to play with the full deck. What's the game here, Cliffy?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:29 AM   #23

OH come on folks. KOA is one "national" group that seems to be somewhat standard around the country. How many others are there? I frankly don't know. I mentioned KOA because it is well known. Now show me any others. I don't know of any. There were no KOAs where we were going at the places we needed to stop. We have a good culling system to find a park to stop at. We spend time every night planning the next nights stop. We call ahead to reserve space IF they answer the damn phone, MANY DO NOT.

As was mentioned, if you stay on the interstates there USUALLY is no problem finding a reasonable place to stop. Now try staying off the interstates and see what you come up with from Houston to Flagstaff AZ?
The oil/wind boom in the center of that route has anyone and everyone scraping a dirt lot, setting up power posts and calling themselves an RV Park to get the transient rough necks and their 5th wheels AND NO I'M NOT KNOCKING ROUGH NECKS! I am knocking the rv parks.

Yes we plan on reporting our findings but as we do not as yet have a hot spot we have not had internet for about 3/4 of the nights we were on the road. Those we did have except for one, were almost useless. One didn't even have cell service so a hot spot wouldn't have worked anyway.

The "RANT" as you say was out of frustration along the route we wanted to take. And yes, I do take umbrage with businesses that have a "take it or leave it" attitude. Poor service is poor service. Why are there exclusive places for million dollar MHs? Could it be they want a little higher standard in where they stay? Maybe a lot of us would like a similar treatment if not the diamond award winner type place, just something that shows a little pride of ownership and a little customer interest.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I just don't understand why campgrounds-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
.......KOA is one "national" group that seems to be somewhat standard around the country. How many others are there?............I don't know of any. There were no KOAs where we were going at the places we needed to stop. .........try staying off the interstates and see what you come up with ...........I am knocking the rv parks. .........One didn't even have cell service.......

The "RANT" as you say was out of frustration along the route.....Why are there exclusive places for million dollar MHs? Could it be they want a little higher standard in where they stay? Maybe a lot of us would like a similar treatment........

Why are there no others-- off the beaten path? One word: ROI

Every CG could have manicured spots and full services if every RVer were willing to pay $60 or $80 per night. It's that simple, almost. You also have to have the people. You want "off the main roads"? Go ask the manager of your local Marriott what the rate would be if their average occupancy ran at 25% and they only stayed open seven months of the year. The CG business is like any other business. It's a business.

KOA has spent 50 years building their brand and network, while everyone bitched about their prices and made jokes about them. But today there they are. They're the ones that know how to set it up, staff it, run it, advertise it, and make money at it so when you come back next year the wifi will still work and the pool will still be open.

There are lots of pleasant, we'll run independents out there, and they're not hard to find-- but they'll be in places where they can survive. It would be real nice if the whole world ran like Disneyland, but it doesn't.

One word: ROI

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #25

Cliffy, if you post the route you took maybe good alternatives can be found.
Allstays works well and it incorporates links to rvparkreviews and many other CG review resources.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #26

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
While trying to avoid the political side it is worth noting that wages for most hourly workers have been more or less stagnant since the early 1980's while the value of the dollar continues to rise with inflation. I know of a couple of people that ended up living in their camper and others that moved to manufactured housing because lot rent was cheaper than staying in their stick and brick. I would assume I was seeing the effect of the local economy.
I know you and I doubt you can avoid the political aspect.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #27

When we are looking for a cg to stay, I look at their website, then lookfor reviews, and then look at it from Google Earth. With these in my aresonnel i usually have a better idea of what we're getting into.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #28

I understand ROI. I've owned several businesses in my working life.
It doesn't take a lot of money to have <20 spaces and be able to cut weeds and cleanup trash. Prune the trees, paint the fence, even lightly grade the ruts from the lot, all these can be done with little expense. You don't have to offer wifi or TV but the other stuff needs to be done. Even picnic tables can be added to each site with little expense.
Part of ROI is making your business attractive to customers.

ONE national chain of RV parks with a reasonable reputation in the entire country?
With as many RVs as there are on the road it sounds to me that there is an opening here somewhere for someone with vision.

Tags
campground