Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

I wish every state published this:

California campground RV maximum length
This sure would make planning easier if every state published such a document.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #2

Only if it is accurate. Many times we see length restrictions in the state park campgrounds for certain sites, only to find there is no reason for them. Recently at a New York state park a certain site was limited to 20 foot maximum length. Due to a problem with our assigned site the park people moved us to the 20 foot site by changing our motorhome length from 35 foot to 20 foot in the computer system. Shoot that 20 foot site was large enough for our 35 foot coach + toad with space to spare. They indicated they had many sites mismarked in the Reserve America computer system, but nobody knows how to permanently change it.

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

We had a spot in an Oregon SP, that was advertised at 15 foot max for our 17 foot TT. We called the park to see if they would let us take it because we wanted the location and there were few other choices. He had no problem letting us make the reservation and didn't know why it was categorized ascsuch, but said do it at your own risk.

As it turns out, it was a large spot as described above, but the angle to the road was such that larger vehicles would have problems backing in. We got in ok and had a great time.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #4

And I know for Oregon state parks.....the listed length of the site.....means that the rv and tow vehicle have to fit.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

I too wish they had something for every campground. I will agree with others that the sites are not always the size as advertised. Usually I find that a park has one size listed, but if you get there you will see there are sites much bigger than the max shows. I usually will check on google maps and see what is parked in the site I like or around the campground. Usually you will see there are 35ft RV's in spots listed as 25ft max. I have never run into a problem by looking at the sites and making reservations for a smaller site than I should be able to fit. I know that it could bite me, but it hasn't yet.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Indiana State Parks have a web site it has pictures of every camp site usually at least 2 pictures and tell any restriction of each site.
We camped in one last fall that had the note "larger units may not be able to open awnings". They were correct but we were able to camp just not put out our awning.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

One other thing that would be useful is to know how many of a campground's sites will accommodate that maximum length. There may be only 2 or 3, and if they aren't reservable, then you have the issue of arriving and finding someone with a 17 footer enjoying spacious comfort in the site you were needing for your 40.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #8

doesn't matter what they say somebody is going to think the rules don't apply them and try shoe horn their rig in even if it sticks out in the road and hang over on the neighbors area. oregon seems to have more of this than other states in the west.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #9

Yes it would be nice, a majority of state and federal campgrounds were designed for travel trailers and class C's it's sometimes tough on class A's especially pulling a toad . We should encourage our congressmen to pump money into the country's neglected recreation system. More people are traveling and camping, I know my bunch spends a lot of money while on the road
Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallisawfire View Post
Yes it would be nice, a majority of state and federal campgrounds were designed for travel trailers and class C's it's sometimes tough on class A's especially pulling a toad . We should encourage our congressmen to pump money into the country's neglected recreation system. More people are traveling and camping, I know my bunch spends a lot of money while on the road
I agree with you about contacting your Congressman about the need for more money for our aging national park systems. Just wanted to add you need to contact your state's government representatives about the state parks need for better funding to improve the campgrounds.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every state/Federal park I've stayed at the web site listed the max length per site.. Not always accrate (I routinely park a 38' Class a on a 24 foot site) but they publish.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

We traveled constantly for 16 years, including Alaska, and used public parks almost solely. With our 40' motorhome we didn't have any issues finding public parks that we would fit. We agree with the above post by 'wa8wxm'. We have also fit in a published 30' spot. Every agency has inaccurate listings. That's why we prefer not to make reservations. We just go and find our spot in person - quite often getting the best spot in the park.

We volunteered for Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park at one time. In the morning we'd take the incoming reservations for the day and go down the campground list we used to assign a spot based on their size RV. We were not finding big spots on our list and we knew by walking the campground often that there were many big spots. We then offered to visit each site and create a new list to be used based on what size RV would fit in that spot. The rangers were amazed that we found so many other big sites that they didn't know were there. Quite often those in management or in reservations are not RVers and don't know the campsite details and what will fit.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

We stayed at Palmetto Island state park in south Louisiana last weekend and one nice feature they had was a map with the length of each site and they offer reservations by site on Reserve America.

see page 2 of the pdf http://www.crt.state.la.us/Assets/Pa...nd_sitemap.pdf

very nice little state park $18 per night free wifi and free laundry room even had a free lunch (donations accepted) on Saturday thanks to the the monthly dutch oven cooking demonstration. Only bad thing is the location 40 miles south of I-10 down narrow washboard roads from hell.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #14

Mostly west coast campgrounds, but also see campsitephotos.com