Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I55, Frog City RV Park, Duson LA

How are interstate road conditions on I 55 between Starkville, Mississippi and I 10 in Louisiana? Is there much construction or narrow lanes? Or is it better to do the Natchez Trace? How is 25 from Starkville to Jackson?
Has anyone ever stayed at Frog city RV park in Duson, Louisiana? It's near Lafayette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsenbum View Post
How are interstate road conditions on I 55 between Starkville, Mississippi and I 10 in Louisiana? Is there much construction or narrow lanes? Or is it better to do the Natchez Trace? How is 25 from Starkville to Jackson?
Has anyone ever stayed at Frog city RV park in Duson, Louisiana? It's near Lafayette
I don't know how helpful this will be now, but we came down I-55 just after Christmas last winter. I don't recall any problems then.

Headed west on I-10 and spent the nights of Dec 30 and 31 at Frog City RV. Nice little place, friendly folks, clean and well kept. Plenty of maneuvering room, sites were level or damn close, and everything worked. Good price ($20) with PA. Not a resort, but fine for a few days stopover. Couple of miles to the town of Rayne-- "Frog Capital of the World", convenient for stores and such. Lots of Airstreams there when we were. Some kind of Airstream event going on then.

Hope this helps!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsenbum View Post
Uh... Dude... Don't know which map you're using, but I-55 does not even approach Starkville. 55 is like 60+ miles to the west of Starkville. MS 25 is 4-laned around most of the little towns between Starkville & Jackson and is the most direct route to Jackson. If you've ever driven The Most Boring Interstate Ever, I-10 between Lake City & Pensacola, I-55 from Memphis to New Orleans is a very close second!

The Trace is a Parkway, like the Blue Ridge or Skyline Drive in Virginia. It is what it is. There are limited resources on the Trace proper, like campgrounds and fuel. Both are available in the towns along the way, off the Trace. The speed limit is 40 on most of it, 50 in some parts. From Starkville, it's best to take MS 12 south to Kosciusko and get on the Trace there, if you're ultimate destination is Louisiana. But it's a very easy drive, no commercial traffic and it's peopled with folks just... ambling along. I would strongly suggest you venture a bit farther south on the Trace as now is actually the time to visit Natchez since their Fall Pilgrimage is underway right now... until October 13!

Don't have any first-hand feedback on Frog City RV Park... But, just from the name, it's on my Bucket List of parks to visit!

So... Are you following the Bulldogs or the Tigers? Or Ole Mess?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
One correction on the post above is that the speed limit is 50 on most of the Trace with a few sections down to 40, I have been traveling the Trace since the 70's. One thing I have noticed is that there are decidedly fewer rangers patrolling the Trace than there used to be. This is a good month to travel the Trace.