Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #1

Ideas for NJ to NH or Maine July?

We're looking to go from NJ to either/both NH or Maine for a couple weeks in July. Any thoughts or ideas for route or campsites would be appreciated. We are travelling with 2 dogs. Would love to have water (ocean, river, or large lake) part of the trip. I seem to be in the campsite paralysis mode reading reviews, etc. I'm almost tempted just to pick up and go and see what happens but then again...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #2

Given the amount of things to do it would be nice to know what kind of experience you are looking for. If you are up for anything why not make a couple of reservations so you have some guaranteed nights with a day or two loose between each one. That is a busy time so it is sometimes easier to extend than to find new but nice not to be tied to one place. Also depends on how often you want to move. With a 34 ft trailer you will be a bit limited.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We went from NJ to Prince Edward Island last summer via Maine. AVOID Tappen Zee and CT traffic, by taking the NY Thruway up to the Mass. Turnpike. There is a cut over right below Albany. More tolls but less aggravation and only about 20 minutes more driving (if CT has no traffic...).

Lots to do in NH and Maine. White Mountains, cog railway, Lost River, North Conway outlets, etc in NH. Bar Harbor, coastal towns, Mt. Katadhin in Maine.

Safe travels!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ny Thruway (this keeps you away from the NY NJ metro areas)north then head east to Vermont Riverbend Campground north of Middlebury, then head east on Rt 89 to Randolph Center Lake Champagne Campground then east again along Rt 2 through New Hampshire, in Lancaster Rogers Campground, Then east again into Maine to Belfast to Moorings Oceanfront Campground. All these campgrounds are scenic easy in and easy out & big rig friendly a and have good countryside or water views and are in interesting areas. The only problem is you will want to stay longer in these areas if you are on a tight schedule it may be difficult they are also reviewed in the campground review section on this web site.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #5

I hadn't thought of going the VT route, taking the mass pike, or avoiding the tappanzee but I do now. GG1 - I like the sites you mentioned and the route as well. I had spent time in Casco bay Maine and loved the area but wasn't thinking of the trip in segments. I keep thinking through haul. Since I'm new the TT thing I have to remember I'm bringing the hotel room with me and that allows for options. These ideas have me thinking a little differently. I really do like the idea of making some reservations with loose days in between but the planner in me has me worried. During this busy time of year I worry a bit about getting shut out and having to search for a place to stay with dogs. This is good start to our trip plan. Thank you all for the suggestions and help.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

This place is nice Shore Hills Campground and RV Park :: Boothbay, Maine :: RV Park Reviews
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Thanks Pete - That is close to Harpswell too (one of our destinations) and could be part of a reasonable loop that seems to be forming for our trip. The only thing is a few extra weeks or months to continue the trip.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #8

Be sure to verify pet policy - Majority of their state parks do not allow dogs. If you like water view try The Moorings in Belfast - spot 21 or 31. We also like ShoreHills, KOA Bar Harbor spot 272.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknj View Post
Thanks Pete - That is close to Harpswell too (one of our destinations) and could be part of a reasonable loop that seems to be forming for our trip. The only thing is a few extra weeks or months to continue the trip.
I hope you like it we sure did we had spot 113
Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Shore Hills runs a shuttle right from the campground to the center of Boothbay and picks up at the same point. It is wonderful, only 3 miles direct, no other stops and you don't need to look for parking. All the restaurants have wonderful seafood. I think we paid $2 per head for the shuttle.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #11

I have to thank you all for the great suggestions on travel routes and stops. You planned our vacation. We did the NY through way route and stopped at champagne lake which is a beautiful place. We then spent a night at Rogers which was a little interesting maneuvering in the rain and fog but a nice location and full hookup. Needed 4 wheel drive to get out of a mud rutt. Still in would stay there again. ..can't fault the weather. We then went to moorings in Maine which was absolutely spectacular right on the water for a week. So relaxing to walk on the beach every morning with coffee. Then off to Boothbay harbor staying at shore hills a woodsy beautiful campsite on a tidal river. Just so relaxing.

We are at shore hillls and missing the next stop or two on the way back to NJ. Any thoughts on where to be next? Would love to find somewhere for horse back riding if possible.

I'll post trip pics when I'm back home.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #12

Frank glad you liked shore hills if you ever get to Pa. look at Twin Grove campground in Pine Grove. We are here for 3 months I thing you would really like it here look at there web site.Twin Grove RV Resort & Cottages Pine Grove, PA
Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
If you're into cooking/baking then stop by the King Arthur Flour Company in Norwich, VT right off I-91.

It was like Mecca for my wife.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #14

Twin Grove looks like a nice place too. I'll put that one on the list for this summer. I'm a cook so I know I would enjoy king arthur flour...have a pantry full of the stuff. Stopped at a KOA site in naples sabago lake yesterday. Spent the day horse back riding. Time for a swim and dinner on the lake. I'm really liking this lifestyle. A lot tomorrow we're off to Bennington vt.