Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Impromptu Oregon Trip Never been in MH

We are currently in the central valley of Northern California. I am thinking a run up I-5 to Portland and then down 101 to Eureka then back across to 5 and home. Two weeks would be the run. All you experienced RV'ers let me know what you would have wanted to know your first time through that run.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You should probably find out from the locals about gas stations on 101 that would fit an RV. I did the section of 101 from Coos Bay to Florence a few years ago and seem to remember that the gas stations were small Mom & Pops that were tight. I-5 from Eugene north was fine.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #3

Now's a nice time to go - before the July/Aug vacation rush! Just don't let your gas tank get below half and you'll find enough big stations to fill up. Big RVs are on 101 constantly, along with big trucks. We've been up and down 101 many times and never had a problem.
We took a day trip yesterday from I-5 and there were a LOT of vacancies in the RV parks and state parks. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oregon's state park system is out standing, and if you are an Elk, they too have many lodges with camping. Just a note in Oregon you cannot pump your own gas, an attendant will do it for you.

Don G.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Oregon's state park system is out standing, and if you are an Elk, they too have many lodges with camping. Just a note in Oregon you cannot pump your own gas, an attendant will do it for you.

Don G.
We made a car trip up that way last year. I figure if we move up there I can always pump gas for a few extra bucks
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Headed that way, from eastern Washington, next week. Last June we found diesel less expensive than gas, and who minds letting someone else pump the fuel? In these days of unemployment, maybe lots of stations across the country could reinstate that service.

JoAnn
1999 National Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley, WA
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #7

Completed the full coast down from Astoria to Crescent City a couple of weeks ago. We did it from home in Anacortes in 13 days, via Longview and US 30 to get to Astoria.

Unfortunately, the weather was typical "Spring on the Coast", with relatively cold overnight temps, and misty mornings. Afternoons were pretty good, but a long way from being hot. We stopped at North Longview KOA the first night, just a comfortable first day distance from home. Our next stop was Cannon Beach then Beverly Beach SP just north of Newport., After Beverly Beach, we stopped at Siuslaw River Marina and RV park in Florence, followed by a KOA in Langlois and our last coast stop was Harris Beach SP just north of Brookings. We had planned to head further into CA, but the fog clamped down around Crescent City with visibility less than half a mile.. Combined with several long stretches of single-lane road due to repair work, the trip wasn't much fun any longer, so we turned around and headed across to Grants Pass on highway 199.

Our logistics were a bit messy, as the RV's fridge died just before we set out, so we were shopping for ice every day. BTW, it's a State law that you can't pump your own gas. I think the only place that it's legal is on the Seven Feathers tribal reservation.

We think the stretch of 101 from Florence to Brookings is the best part of the coast. Enjoy your trip. It should be less misty and a bit warmer now than when we went.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Any Oregon state park is excellent! Bullards Beach near Bandon is great and Bandon is a cute tourist town. Harris Beach in Brookings is also beautiful!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

Just a clarification from an Oregonian. Motorcycles and diesel vehicles are allowed to pump their own fuel. Now for the but, some stations still don't allow it. Others have insisted that I pump my own diesel. YMMV

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote