Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Indy 500

Thinking about heading to the Indy 500 for the first time this year. Any info from anybody who has been there or camped there would be great.

We (family) would be taking the RV. I saw on their site you can camp their with electric. Are there any campgrounds close? I was thinking with kids, a pool, etc may be better and we could always take the toad to the race???
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #2

No pool, however the Indiana State Fairgrounds has a CG on E. 38 ST. in INDY.
Again, no pool, but Lake Haven Resort - Member Indiana Campground Owners Association is located on IN 37, about 3 miles S. of I 465 bypass around INDY.
If you don't mind driving about 50-60 miles there are RV parks with swimming pools, stuff for kids, etc; but I know of nothing closer. One is: http://www.campindiana.com/Campgrounds/LakeMonroe.htm
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

ejm4

I have been to Indy several times over the past 20 years. The last few visits were for the USGP and 500. It is a bit of a different ballgame for RV'ers. If you are heading there for the 500 or the Brickyard, just expect that there is going to be A LOT OF TRAFFIC AND CONJESTION. My recomendations is to just plan on boondocking it and stay very close to the track. Traffic coming into the track area and parking lots are slow moving and really not convenient.

The 1st recomendation is the Coca Cola field across the street diagonally (Georgetown Ave.) from turn 4. It is flat, grass, and always full of rigs. No electric, no hookup's at all. You can easily walk to the gates at turn four or further down the front straight. Word of caution, walking anywhere around the speedway is farther and longer than you anticipate. On hot days it is easy to tire even if you're young and in good shape. There will be people everywhere and constant traffic on the streets.

IMS had bought the small campground just outside of turn 4 (used to be private), but I do not think they allow big rigs there, but worth checking.

There is RV parking across from track parallel to Georgetown Ave. We stayed here the last visit, but had no hookups, but it seemed that some of the spots did, again, easy access is a plus and ease of walking. (You can take small coolers inside, as long as they can fit in the footwells of the stands).

There was RV parking in paved lots across 38th St., but again, as this is commercial property, no hookups.

Also, since the Speedway sits adjacent to a housing nieghborhood, many of the homeowners along the 3 or 4 block area allow camping in their front yards, back yards, side yards etc. We did this one year ($75 a night)

I guess my point is this, if you stay at a campground nearby, you may have the luxuries of electric and water, sewer, but, you will trade it off in the inconvenience of battling the other 350,000 folks trying to do what you are doing. Believe me, it is a lot of people. Wait until you get inside and look at the full grandstands, an incredible amount of humanity.

All that said, make it a must do. I tell people that attending the Indy 500 should be on everyones "Bucket List". The sights, sounds, colors, smells and ramped up excitement is just unbelievable, even if racing isn't your sport of choice. You should plan on getting there no sooner than Friday evening (sooner if you have a lot of time to kill, you may get a better chance at closer-in parking). There is little to do other than the Museum (Yes!) and the track bus tour (ok). The rest of Saturday is usually taking in the hundred or so merchants lined up and down Georgetown Ave. (Carnival like) Lots of food and race stuff. If you have your toad, I would recommend one other opportunity while you are there. Head out to Oreilly Motorsports Park (formerly Indianapolis Raceway Park IRP) on Saturday night to watch the "Night Before The 500" midget races on the half mile asphalt track, within 10 miles of the Speedway, great fun and the midgets are very exciting to watch.

Here is another little piece of good advice, depending on how many are in your group. In all my visits to the Speedway, I only bought tickets ahead of time once, and would never do it again. There are literally dozens of ticket "vendors" walking up and down the streets around the speedway. I have learned to wait until raceday morning to buy my seats. I have never had any problems with this, and have sat in some of the most expensive and best viewing seats in the house! Usually at a fraction of the face value or Saturday price. Yes, it takes a bit of nerve holding out, but you can save a lot of money, and if you do your homework ahead of time, find really great seating. Always stay as high as you can afford to get the better view. The only pitfall to this is if you need 5, 6 or more tickets in a row, you may be a little more limited in selection, but then, that many over two rows together would probably be quite possible.

Hope this helps a little. DO IT!

Carl
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Official Indianapolis 500 Parking and Camping Sales - RV Passes

Camping and Lodging near Indianapolis Speedway

Speedway Post 500 | 2011 Indianapolis 500 RV Parking
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have a camping pass and 2 tickets we may be selling for this years race. I'd love to go but we are expecting our first grandchild in May.

The campground is so close to the track you can hit the turn 4 bleachers with a rock. It's total boondocking; however they do allow Class A's in there and you can get pump out and water service.

I'm bummed to not be going...good luck.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

Good morning SpursMVP, By chance have your sold your camping pass yet?
I really need one to join my family for our 5th year at the race and the family's 36th year. Let me know. Thank you, Antigua.
antigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Well last year it was my grandson (he's so cute by the way) and this year my youngest brother is being ordained a priest.

I've listed the tickets for 2012 in the classified section if anyone is interested. If not...off to ebay!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote